Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a f350 lariat dually, manual trans, 419k, crew cab, 8 ft bed. locally for sale. Here are some details...

"The engine has not been rebuilt that I know of. I do know the last owner of the truck and his maintenance and repairs since he purchased the truck at 38,000 miles. New injectors, glow plugs, rebuilt turbo, new clutch etc. He changed the oil every 3,000 miles as do I and the engine doesn’t burn any oil to speak of. The engine runs very strong. he only things mechanically wrong with the truck is the parking brake assembly in the cab rendering it in-op and the hood struts also in-op most of the time.
Also the tires are new. Edge chip installed a year ago.

He wants $7500 OBO. Because I don't know much about this engine, he is willing to bring it to a diesel mechanic of my choice so I can have it inspected. Am I out of my mind for considering this?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
642 Posts
I would consider it, but not for that price. For a truck with that mileage I wouldn’t be paying over $5k, maybe not even that much. Any pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,766 Posts
changing the oil every 3k and an edge chip a year ago, clearly not someone performance minded and sounds like a flip truck... you are buying with your heart on this one

·
Registered
516 Posts
$5000 seems more reasonable. The interior does look sweet.

If the guy can't produce receipts for the work he claims then don't trust him. Most of us have a file where we keep everything. If the previous owner was so meticulous he would have given the file to him.

If he has all the receipts then maybe go higher.

How much you pay is also a function of the area. If that's a southern rust free truck for sale in the rust belt (eg Pennsylvania) it'll fetch a premium price but you'll find parts in junk yards where the body has rotted away.

There are YouTube about buying a used 7.3. blowby is the big one and take it to a mechanic (it'll cost you).

The drivetrain could be fine but everything else is old and more expensive than a car. So, a front end rebuild, brakes, wheel bearings, etc. The mechanic can check this on the lift.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah. I'm thinking 7.5k is too high, especially considering no receipts. I would definitely be taking it to a mechanic for an inspection. Might offer 5k if everything checks out ok.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Looks like a good truck, someone replaced the coolant reservoir and painted the IC pipes to spruce up under the hood. My biggest concern would be rust, but it appears clean. Figure on putting a transmission in it ($3500-$4000) and check the engine for excessive blowby. I would also figure on rebuilding most of the front end (ball joints, tie rod ends, steering box, etc)

For the right price it could be a nice truck

If you end up with it ditch the edge tuning and k&n filter asap

·
Registered
516 Posts
Looks like a good truck, someone replaced the coolant reservoir and painted the IC pipes to spruce up under the hood. My biggest concern would be rust, but it appears clean. Figure on putting a transmission in it ($3500-$4000) and check the engine for excessive blowby. I would also figure on rebuilding most of the front end (ball joints, tie rod ends, steering box, etc)

For the right price it could be a nice truck

If you end up with it ditch the edge tuning and k&n filter asap
For a tuner get the php Hydra from @[email protected] and for filter I'd get the Donaldson 6637. I still have my stock air but had the 6637 on my last truck and it's great.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
If the body isnt rusty its worth 5K.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
If you put another $5000 into the purchase cost and bought a truck with half those miles, you'd be buying some very cheap miles.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'd start at 5kand settle on 6k. If the body is rust free and the interior is good it might be worth it. Like others have said check for blow by and your trans has got allot of miles on it. The 6 speed is good and if serviced well it can certainly go longer. You can swap a 6 speed for about 2k if you're willing to put it in yourself.

·
Registered
66 Posts
NOTHING gets to 415k miles unless it is taken care of and driven responsibly. If it is rust free, and everything is there and works, it is probably worth the price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checked it out yesterday... Some rust along wheel well, sunfaded paint, seems to run well, brake seemed to grab a bit on test drive... I could smell it when we stopped. The mechanic is inspecting the truck tomorrow then I will decide.

·
Registered
642 Posts
For price reference..

I bought my truck as pictured in PA for $7,000 about 2 years ago. 330,000 miles, Reman jasper engine with around 75,000 on it, and 4 new ball joints. Front end conversion and 2015 bed, tailgate, and bumper. So I would not be considering this truck unless he drops the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
People put in their trucks' acquisition prices as price-points for valuing potential current purchases. These can be useful, but the best comparisons are to other offerings currently available. Do your research, drive as many as possible, evaluate the needed repair costs against condition and configuration for your needs.

I paid the Original Owner $10,000 seven years ago for my un-hit, unmolested 99 with 119,000. It had $10,000 in desirable upgrades (gear vendor, electric bed cover, 58 gallon tank, plus other stuff), so the truck was "free". The seller is a personal friend of 40 years, he and I agreed on the price over lunch. In hindsight, we both feel he sold too cheap (he did), but I've gotten great use out of it, I didn't flip it, and when he's in California he has a truck to use without having to bring his 2013 (do the math) from Colorado. Mine. He's gotten over it. My point is that there can be details in the transaction that affect the price-paid that are not apparent unless chronicled.

This OP's find looks un-dorked with. Original radiator clamps, battery cables in decent condition, and the jack tools in position (not missing) indicate an easy cared-for life, not stuff changed because someone read on the internet that it should be changed. If it fits his needs, it is probably a decent bet.

At the risk of TL;DR, I'll add one more observation. With 413,000 on the odometer, there is NO doubting that the odometer is representative of actual mileage. Looking at the pics, the condition and content look good enough that if the odometer had been rolled back to say 113,000 or perhaps 213,000 people could be deceived as to the actual mileage. This rollback would affect the price upwards. Do not overlook the satisfaction with a deal in which there are no qualms about paying for what your getting. People hate discovering after the purchase that they have been deceived. With this truck, there's NO doubting the mileage. That to me, is worth value in itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good points everyone. I did get the Carfax and this guy is the 4th owner. Lots of history of routine maintenance.
The brake caliper that was sticking was just replaced by the owner today. Tomorrow is the inspection.
I would love to compare this to other manuals of this same era, but there just are any to be found around me.
If the inspection turns out ok, I'm going to offer 6k and see what happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the inspection... Abs light is staying on... Cracked muffler... Small rear diff leak... Misses a tiny bit and smokes on start up. I'm going to try to talk the seller down to 6 or 6.5k

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Settled on 7k. Picking it up in an hour. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. Thanks everyone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts