Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
F250 2004 6.0
I was pulling a 5th wheel RV, truck dies deader than a door nail in the middle of the Hiway just like a perfect kill shot on a deer. Checked all the first check things, battery cables, fluids, fuses, etc. nothing. Pulled the unit to shop, guy says it’s the ficm, ( just put one in two years prior) bit my lip put another one in. Truck ran for one day, another kill shot. Drag it back to shop. Guy says it’s injectors, ALL 8 OF THEM!
Got all the good oil pressure, battery, filters, etc. I’m feeling that I’m getting shafted here, guy will not give me an answer on the reading on the supposed bad ficm, I question how all the injectors go at one time and he says that is the problem then why a new ficm, and why did the truck run for one day with no issues after his ficm fix with the supposed 8 injectors being bad, no smoke except the normal startup smoke during that one day it ran.
I am desperately trying to come up with a solution or direction to get the beast running. Going to go retrieve my truck today and trouble shoot it myself like I’ve done before. Not trying to pull any cards out here but I get a feeling I’m being jiggered by shop guy simply because I’m a female.
If anyone can guide me in a direction I would appreciate it very much.
I also have a 2005 F350 6.0 that’s down with oil pump issues, was thinking of borrowing its injectors and seeing if the 250 starts with them. My question is are they the same injectors, will they work? Any input please.

· Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Where are you located? Maybe someone on here can suggest a shop they trust and recommend.

Have you had any work done recently? What's your maintenance schedule for oil/fuel filters? If anything, maybe this shows that you really do need something to monitor the truck's vitals at all times to try and head off the bad juju.

Also, some of the early & late model injectors are not interchangeable truck-to-truck, so be aware of that. Not sure about the '04 to '05...

-jokester

· Registered
2,194 Posts
Was the truck running rough before it would get up to operating temp? I had to replace injector in my 05 one time, I had 3 that were pretty well shot and 4 that were iffy. So I replaced all of them. But when I was driving down the road first thing it would buck and snort a bit and just run rough. Once the temps got to around 150 or so then it ran fine. The just flat dieing out is suspect to me but I'm also no mechanic.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where are you located? Maybe someone on here can suggest a shop they trust and recommend.

Have you had any work done recently? What's your maintenance schedule for oil/fuel filters? If anything, maybe this shows that you really do need something to monitor the truck's vitals at all times to try and head off the bad juju.

Also, some of the early & late model injectors are not interchangeable truck-to-truck, so be aware of that. Not sure about the '04 to '05...
Was the truck running rough before it would get up to operating temp? I had to replace injector in my 05 one time, I had 3 that were pretty well shot and 4 that were iffy. So I replaced all of them. But when I was driving down the road first thing it would buck and snort a bit and just run rough. Once the temps got to around 150 or so then it ran fine. The just flat dieing out is suspect to me but I'm also no mechanic
Was the truck running rough before it would get up to operating temp? I had to replace injector in my 05 one time, I had 3 that were pretty well shot and 4 that were iffy. So I replaced all of them. But when I was driving down the road first thing it would buck and snort a bit and just run rough. Once the temps got to around 150 or so then it ran fine. The just flat dieing out is suspect to me but I'm also no mechanic.
No the truck was running realy good, in fact I allowed myself the get all jiggly proud of it on the inside. all gauges were running absolutely normal, there wasn’t even a hic up or a burp.
that is what has me bumfuzzled on how it was such a perfect ‘kill shot’.

-jokester
Thank you for responding, I’m in the North East side of New Mexico. No work done on it for the previous two years. Maintain it every 3k. Got a suggestion on a “vitals monitor’. And as far as the injectors criss crossing....well as my luck continues it appears that those two years are the exact years that things changed so I can’t change them to the 04.

· Premium Member
5,147 Posts
I was looking at the Bulletproof Diesel website at their "installers" page, thinking there would be one close by you. Looks like the closest is North of you in Colorado...

If you had a monitor, we would ask you to post the numbers of a few certain PID (Parameter Idendification) values that might assist us in helping you troubleshoot. If nothing else, watch these videos for future reference :D

Bump

How 'bout it guys - anyone have a good shop they trust in NE New Mexico?

-jokester

· Administrator
35,266 Posts
FICM's don't usually just drop dead , they die slow and trucks performance suffers
if unchecked it can hurt injectors but if it ran fine after FICM replacement I would question the new part or connections

· Compression Ignition Addict
12,045 Posts
I hear you (and agree), but sometimes FICMs can fail immediately when the electronics get hot.

Edit -
After re-reading the first post, I can't tell for sure if she already has a "fixed" FICM in it, or if that was just the diagnosis and part of the estimate from this questionable shop.

· Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Edit -
After re-reading the first post, I can't tell for sure if she already has a "fixed" FICM in it, or if that was just the diagnosis and part of the estimate from this questionable shop.
To me it reads: truck died and questionable shop diag'd & replaced FICM. Ran for 1 day and then quit. Now said shop wants to replace all injectors..

-jokester

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ALL you guys are awesome thank you so much for all your inputs and taking the time to answer some of the questions.
as far as the injectors question I am going by what the Ford service dept told me their computer says. Apparently 04 to 05 was the change, I just 🤷‍♀️.
I tell you one thing for sure, if I ever get that ole’ cus running I’m gonna put a ’make offer’ sign smack in the middle of the windshield!

· Compression Ignition Addict
12,045 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.