Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, ive been on this site for awhile and just sold the truck in my sig. Honestly, i hate the way the leafs rode and i hate how damn loud the old 7.3s are. Ive been looking hard at lb7 dmaxs and then of course, my wondering eye couldnt steer too far away from fords and i started looking at 05 to 07 powerstrokes. I'm not looking to lift it and the most towing it would see would be a sled deck in the winter and possibly a 22 ft camp trailer in the summer. First thing would be an edge insight to monitor. I would like to get a stock one and do exhaust with an sct. Am i dumb? i know they have issues (my dad has an 04 and its been a complete **** bucket) and i see lots of stuff on here but are these the diehard cases or the norm? Am i better off buying a little bit higher mileage in the logic that if its a problem child, it would have already acted up? The only repair i'm scared of is putting headgaskets in it. egr delete, oil cooler, turbo, etc not scared of... already had to do all that jazz on my dads 04. basically, am i really better off going with a cummins or dmax if i'm looking to get an 03 to 06 diesel? I know this is a powerstroke site, but id like realistic responces to that question, not the diehard ford answer.

Vernon

·
Registered
609 Posts
I was very leary of a 6.0. I had an 03 F-450 that was one problem right after another. Now, I know what was causing all of those issues. I bought my 05 about a month ago and I absolutely love it. It has an EGR delete done now, I ordered my 5 inch exhaust from performancemachinesmfg today and I'll be adding an Edge CTS and SCT tuner next. I thought I was crazy for buying this truck, but honestly, if you take care of the main issues (EGR, oil cooler) and don't abuse the truck (overboost it, blow the heads off, etc) I think that you will love it. I love the way mine drives, handles, pulls, shifts, sounds... you get the message. In the end, it's up to you, but I'm glad I bought mine. Good Luck with your decision! Preston

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
well somehow we got lucky enough to get 2 great 6.0's. both get very picky maintenance and niether have had anything seriously wrong. i had veins sticking in my turbo because we have a really humid climate and constantly getting hot/cold. deleted the egr to try to get better mpg but the egr was just fine. loving my 6.uh oh cant beat the sound

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Looking at the 6.0Ls, anything from '05-'07 are great trucks as long as you know what to look for. The '03.5-'04 were rushed into production with the EPA regualations. The '05+ got better brakes, higher towing capacities, and in my opinion the best looking of the Superduties. I would suggest finding one built after Jan '06, as that was the last set of updates to these trucks. I wouldn't trade my '07 for any other truck on the road.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Yup..05-07 best looking superduty,not that i'm biased or anything,,:thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Yeah I have to agree on the looks thing. As long as you take care of them and do the couple things needed to set them right they are great trucks.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
I love mine! :thumb:

06-07 are said to be the best years of the 6.0 :nod:

·
To Many Projects
4,171 Posts
I don't think your crazy I'm thinking about getting one my self for a work / plow truck.

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
Like many have already stated, I love mine. There are issues that need to be addressed, check PGreenSVT's signature for the link, but once those are done, you're in business.

One other thing, these 6.0s are the last diesel that Ford made that still sound like a traditional diesel. I think the 6.0 sounds better than the 7.3 so... If the 7.3 gave you issues, you may want to keep that in mind about the 6.0s too. :thumb:

+2 on the 05-07 being the best looking truck, I absolutely love it!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Not crazy at all. Best body style Ford had that decade, and the 06-07 6.0's had less warranty claims than any other years of the Power Strokes IIRC.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got a 04 Regular Cab and it's SCT'd, 4 inch Straight piped, lifted with 37's, and it gets off roaded. 158,000 miles and it's been nothing but good to me and that ***** gets drove. I wouldn't trade it for any other truck! I've had it one year and I still love it!!

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
I've got about 12k miles on my truck since I bought it at 52k. So far it's been great but I haven't given it a chance to give me any problems. I knew from the start there are a lot of updated 6.0 parts and I'd be spending some money to keep it reliable. I've got no problem with that though, I love the truck

looks great, sounds even better, yanks my little bass boat around like there's nothing back there

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have an 04, I just had the oil cooler replaced and a BPD egr installed. While the guy had it he installed the latest TSB's to bring it up to the most current standard. he did the oil line and return replaced the injector seals, I had him install the 6.4 banjo bolts and the fuel pressure spring. It cost me less than $4000, and he R&R'd the heads with ARP studs. So I figure that the truck should last as long as I am around. I like the whole line, but I do think the 04's (03-04) look just as good as the later. Only thing I would like to have is the new style tailgate with the step in it. I run the hypermax econ tuner (non selectable) and now when I get on it it will blow black as coal! it seems to be more ready to get up and go. We have smog checks here and I was running 7ppm before the work, wont know what I am running till next year now but it is smokier than it ever was. I really think if a person does their homework and is willing to spend some money all years will work out good.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I wanted a 7.3 till i seen how much people still wanted for them so i found my 05 6.0 and don't regret it one bit I did alot of the updates and its runs great. One of my buddies bought a 04 lb7 and we have replace the injectors and ecm on it so far still needs a new gauge cluster sence all the stepper motors are bad. Its a nice truck but i would never own one.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Not dumb at all, been in your situation and I changed and love the 6.0 so far. 7.3s are great, transmissions arent.. 6.0s are awesome (sometimes), transmissions are awesome, 05-07 front ends are the best looking too :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
mine has been very reliable and I love it. It aint much quieter then my 7.3L was though, hope thats not a big issue for you. I do think the dmax is quieter... although those have there own wave of issues..

·
Registered
822 Posts
What's the alternative to a PS? All of them have their issues.

One neighbor has a d-max, but hates the handling, especially with a horse trailer. I loaned him my 06 F350 for an afternoon to move some horses, he's in the market for one now.

A buddy at work had an 06 Dodge 2500. The list of problems he had with it was extensive, there was always something wrong with it. Yes, the engine was good, the rest of the truck was terrible. Transmission broke three times in 70k miles, clearance lights leaked, taillight fuse would blow every so often, dash cracked after three years, AC went out when trans filler tube fell over against the accumulator and wore a hole in it... he finally sold it and just bought an 06 F350.

One person I know bought a Nissan Titan, what a rolling disaster that was. All sorts of problems with it, and one look at the toothpick of an axle they put in it should tell you how suitable it is for heavy towing.

I've had two failures on my 06 F350 in 113k miles, both well known: HPOP seal, and FICM power supply. Have not blown a HG. EGR and oil cooler have not clogged up. It handles great, with and without a load. The door handles haven't fallen off, the dash hasn't cracked, climate control works great, no leaks in the cab from the clearance lights or the factory sunroof. It's a darn good truck.

Keep in mind, these are big heavy trucks, for big, heavy jobs. Reliability won't be as good as a light truck towing groceries home. You do have to maintain them properly, or you'll pay dearly.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I agree with JOHNO all the other trucks have their problems...and so does the PS but I love my 2007!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
i actually upgraded from a 7.3 to my current 6.0. much better styling exterior and interior. My 2002 had the nicer of the interiors which had been upgraded from the 99 model. I still spent a bunch of time trying to make my 7.3 look like a 05+ truck though. I had a dp tuner on it and went through 2 turbos on it. I loved the reliability of the motor i was just scared the transmission was eventually going to let go and that wasn't a $4000 expense i was willing to wait for. I sold it and saved some money to put aside for head studs/egr delete when the time came.... well it never did. so i swapped in an egr delete and new oil cooler and haven't had any problems. Ive been tuned with innovative tunes for almost 20k miles.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Came from a Cummins and havnt looked back. The Ford doesnt have the towing grunt(not even close) as my Cummins, but everything else about the truck is so much better i dont even miss the power of my old truck anymore.

Jason

1 - 20 of 27 Posts