Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I crazy for wanting a 6.0. I currently have a 2009 F250 with the v10 and 4.10 gears, its a very nice truck, Cabela's addition. The thing is I came from driving a diesel, 99 7.3 , for 15 years and miss the mileage that it gave me. I average just under 11 mpg with my v10 in mostly city, rural two lane roads. Ive drove a few 6.0's, I know the bad rap they get. The 6.0 will give me better empty and towing mpgs. We own a 30 5th wheel that weighs around 10,000 dry. Plus, we double two with the boat behind a few times a year. Towing mileage has been around 6-7 mpg. My old 7.3 always did 10-12 towing , always 65 mph and under. I only have 61000 miles on my current rig, found some 07's with under 70,000 miles for under $25000.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
If you like a 6.0, I would make the jump.

Thinking just in a financial aspect, diesel is $2.84 for me, and gas is $2.55 per gallon making diesel about 10.76% more expensive. Empty driving around town in my 2006 F-250 CCSB 6.0 I get 17 MPG on rural city roads (50 mph, stop light every ~2 miles), so if you're getting 11 mpg empty and I'm getting 17 mpg empty then I'm getting about 42.85% better fuel economy making the difference in fuel prices worth it.

Looking at it from another aspect, your engine takes 6 quarts of oil, whereas the 6.0L takes 15 quarts of oil making an oil change 85.71% more expensive on the 6.0. Not to mention that general repair costs of a 6.0L are more expensive.

If you're buying a 6.0L because of better fuel economy, you're a step above me. I bought one because I like the sound of them lol.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Lol. You guys way over think this stuff. If you have to analyze it that far in depth, you don't belong in any truck. You belong on the bus.

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
I dunno. Probably over the limit on drinks of Tennessee Whiskey at this point. But all things considered I LOVE my truck and can't imagine driving anything that runs off gasoline! Never mind the mileage or how many fortunes I've spent on this fuc#in. truck!! It's still better and cheaper than making any deal on a new $75K truck. That's just totally over the line at my age. If I was 30 yr;s old again, Id probably go for a nice used 6.7 truck 3 or 4 yrs. old. But I ain't seeing 30 no more in this life!!

k

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was recently in your position but had a gas f150. I moved to a 2003 6.0. If I could do it over again I would go buy a 2011 or newer with either 6.7 or 6.2 gas. I love driving my 6.0 but they really can bleed you dry. I payed 5k, and have over 17K in repairs, if I had just bought a 6.7 I would only be in 10K more then what I am right now. This is just my situation though, if you can find a 6.0 with a good service history and where the work was done by a reputable mechanic with receipts, you should have an awesome truck. Still makes me smile to smoke mustangs every so often, always brightens my day. I truly believe these older pickups especially with the king ranch seats are the most comfortable pickup seats I have ever sat in.

Good luck to you, this is an awesome group of people who are always willing to help.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
6.0's Till I Die Thats What I Think....:noteworthy:

Reactions: kcoyner

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'll chime in. I pull a boat on occasion and I have been looking at trucks. I WAS DEAD SET on getting a Cummins, until my 6'3 14 year old tried to get in the back seat of a 2008 (can't justify or really afford buying a new truck). I was DEAD against the 6.0 due to all of the horror stories associated with this engine. That is, until I did some research. I have a friend who has a 6.0 with right at half a million miles on it. Of course it has been studded and deleted, but man, that is impressive honestly being as the truck looks new. EVERYTHING I have seen suggests that after fixing the problems with the engine that FORD engineered into it, that the 6.0 is quite possibly one of the best diesels ever built.

I recently bought an 05' with a little over 100k on it. I LOVE THIS TRUCK. It has been bulletproofed, piped, tuned... and I could not be happier. I am presently looking for a new tuner, but other than that, the truck is awesome. The only reason I am looking for a new tuner is so that I can get a little better mpgs. And power? My truck will 60 with the majority of cars on the road... I let a badass truck get away from being scared of the platform prior to schooling myself on the 6.0... don't be that guy. Find one that has the work done, buy it if you like it, then be happy.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I like my 6.0L (mostly) but I wouldn't recommend it for someone concerned with saving money! Its an expensive vehicle to maintain and fix... so much so that it literally has needed more repairs than EVERY OTHER CAR I and my wife have ever owned combined.... but its fun!

·
Registered
858 Posts
I wrecked one 2007 6.0 and bought another 2007 6.0 !! I love my 6oh

Reactions: BridgerMT

·
Registered
522 Posts
I just figured my taxes....I'm self employed. ...last two years I've spent $15,000 on my truck. Now I know that includes fuel, tires, batteries, seat covers, hpop, sensors, oil/egr coolers, filters and oil. And I'm thinking of head studs this year.....

If I lived in town I'd have a bus pass and spend my winters in Spain.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input, yeah gas is cheaper in my are by $0.30 cents or so a gallon. Maintenance is cheaper on my V10, but there is just a draw to get back in a diesel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No. You're not crazy. When the turbo spools, you won't ever look back. Yeah the 6oh has some TLC areas, educate yourself and take care of them. If you own your truck right, it will run a million miles. The day i bought mine...i was like a kid in a candy store.

Reactions: JesseKK

·
Registered
707 Posts
The Powerstroke 6.0 is an excellent engine with a major flaw - it should have been studded from the factory.

The 6.0 will also NOT tolerate neglect. You had better be ready to take care of her, and make certain you can AFFORD to take care of her, or you will have a real bad time with her.

Just one man's meager opinion :)

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
I wrecked one 2007 6.0 and bought another 2007 6.0 !! I love my 6oh
Seems to be a lot of that going around.

I wrecked my first 2006 three days after completing the very last modification that was on my to do list. Which was installing Carli/Deaver rear leaf-spring pack onto the truck..

I thought long and hard on buying a 2012 6.7 truck that was beautiful. But after looking at the heavy emissions equipment on it and at the same exact time my brother in law had one in the shop at Ford after a employee pumped gasoline into it. We got all the gasoline out of it and they put another 300 miles on it in town before finally taking it in to Ford. They couldn't prove that it had gasoline in it at anytime but I'm quite sure they surely suspected so. They replaced entire fuel system on the truck and it was over $14,000 in warranty work. That and all the bugaboo smog stuff got me running in opposite direction. Plus I still hate the hoods on the 2011-2016 with the seam in the fenders and also the Gigantic Center Console in front seating area that reduces it to two passengers only in front seats.

So no I have no regrets buying another one. That said I have dog piled money into my truck and I could have absolutely purchased that 2012 for less, lot less probably.
So if you are trying to save money by going to a 6.0 truck don't hold your breath. That V-10 pulls like Hell and will do whatever you ask of it. Your not talking about a F150 with a little Triton engine that couldn't pull a sick wh0re off a barb wire fence. That V-10 is a brute of a engine and will do everything you want it to. The money you are loosing in MPG you will most likely spend more maintaining a 6.0 engine. On top of that if you end up with one that ends up needing work you are going to loose in a much bigger way. I had almost $9,400.00 in engine work on my current truck in the first month I owned it. Far majority was covered in the warranty but I still kicked out $3,000 of my own..

I'm for the guys that say keep pumping gasoline unless you want a nice hobby thats likely going to suck $10-$20,000 out of your fun fund.
It ends up looking like this:
But its a money cyclone Good Luck however you choose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts