Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 F350 4x4 6.0... 137,000 miles. SCT tuner, Studs and all upgrades done.

I removed my SCT tuner about a year ago since i started having torque converter shudder. Shudder stop additive helped quite a bit. No trans codes show up.

Should i just replace the torque converter with a triple disk and keep rolling.... or rebuild the trans?

I'll rebuild the trans myself if necessary... I've rebuilt motors before... so all the reading and video watching I've done so far looks like I need an $80 press to remove snap rings from the drums and a $90 tool to remove the output shaft. a Bushing driver kit... $150 roughly... and press to install bushings if needed (I'll use someones).

Does anyone have any advice... or other tools to start stockpiling for my build? Some of the videos mentioned measuring clearances and stack up heights?? anyone built a 5r110 on their own with advice would be great.

All I've got so far is an upgraded 2008 5r110 transmission pan and filter...

parts recommendations would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

Damon

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey I’m just a little bit curious on the torque converter shutter. Does it make a sound or shift funny?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

The torque converter shudder (think i'm spelling it right)... basically feels like you're going over a bumpy road. It's a vibration... that really feels like the converter is locking up and letting go... is the easiest way to describe it.

About a year ago I had a trans guy read the engine with a scantool and took a ride and he was pretty sure it was torque converter shudder.... told me to get some shudder stop additive and if that stops the shudder or lessens it.. it's the torque converter.

It was a much stronger vibration at first... but the shudder stop additive made it so i can barely notice it unless i'm at low rpm... and about 50mph. basically under harder acceleration i don't notice it... but if i'm coasting then give it throttle its there slightly.. enough to annoy you for sure.

thanks,

Damon

·
california deplorable
10,635 Posts
i gotta run so i didnt really take time to rad this but if you think you can fix it...why the hell not?
you get to learn something new :thumb:
even if it is little more than appreciation for those who do rebuild trannies every day :hehe:
my thinking is typically if its already broke...how much worse can it really get?
already looking at possible replacement so... :dunno:
it usually comes down to confidence and available time for me

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
It may be just me but the 5R100 is not a normal transmission. It was an earlier generation of completely electronically controlled vs the 5R100 and E4roD in the 7.3ls. I would take it a professional who specializes vs trusting myself etc. You will save time and money if you remove it yourself but installing can be tricky and can mess up stuff easy too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks John,

I feel the same way... if it's not working already the worst you can do is make it work worse...then redo it.

I've done 3 different 6.0 powerstroke head stud jobs in the driveway in the last few years... and rebuilt a few motors over the years... so how hard could a tranny be.. especially with assembly manuals available.

thanks for the vote of confidence.

Damon

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I'd recommend getting the ATSG guide for the 5R110w transmission. That has step by step procedures including one section where the parts are slightly different for early year and later year models. Also has the special tools listed needed to accomplish this. I don't know how many of these special tools have easily procurable subs though. This book is not available for electronic download even if paid.

When I checked online about videos and step by step transmission rebuilds, I did not find much. Almost like the end of the internet. Making three 6.0 motors good again more than qualifies you I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I'd recommend getting the ATSG guide for the 5R110w transmission. That has step by step procedures including one section where the parts are slightly different for early year and later year models. Also has the special tools listed needed to accomplish this. I don't know how many of these special tools have easily procurable subs though. This book is not available for electronic download even if paid.

When I checked online about videos and step by step transmission rebuilds, I did not find much. Almost like the end of the internet. Making three 6.0 motors good again more than qualifies you I'm sure.

The ATSG manual is a must have if you’re not familiar with this trans. It’s unnecessary to remove the output shaft lock but unless you are replacing the bearing. Also, you will need the special tool to remove the low/reverse piston so you can clean behind it as well as buy the superior transmission internal upgrade package that includes a cup plug so you can clean the center support. It includes a couple upgraded snap rings as well.
For the pump you will need the pump half alignment tool so you don’t have a pump failure from a misaligned pump. Many will recommend replacing it with a new ford pump to eliminate the chances of this happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome... thanks everyone. I got that the ATSG manual a week or so ago it was free to download. Just google search the 5R110 ATSG book. That makes sense about the output shaft lock to only order the socket if the bearing is bad.

Looks like I need to keep getting more familiar with all the part names from the ATSG book and study all the assembly and dissassembly videos online as I stockpile tool that i need.

Thanks a ton for the info on the pump and other tools. As budget permits.. i'll be buying the tools and parts in the next few months. I'd like to rebuild it sometime this summer while its warmer here in Michigan.

Is the superior transmission pump upgrade the same as the transgo shift kit?? both of those products look similar? and about $100 bucks.

Any input on Revmax rebuild kits, billet shafts, and their stage 4 torque converter?

Thanks for all the help preparing for learning something new!

Damon

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Awesome... thanks everyone. I got that the ATSG manual a week or so ago it was free to download. Just google search the 5R110 ATSG book. That makes sense about the output shaft lock to only order the socket if the bearing is bad.

Looks like I need to keep getting more familiar with all the part names from the ATSG book and study all the assembly and dissassembly videos online as I stockpile tool that i need.

Thanks a ton for the info on the pump and other tools. As budget permits.. i'll be buying the tools and parts in the next few months. I'd like to rebuild it sometime this summer while its warmer here in Michigan.

Is the superior transmission pump upgrade the same as the transgo shift kit?? both of those products look similar? and about $100 bucks.

Any input on Revmax rebuild kits, billet shafts, and their stage 4 torque converter?

Thanks for all the help preparing for learning something new!

I’m not familiar with the transgo kit for the 5r110 so I don’t know the differences. I went with the superior kit based off of advice from a local trans builder. I also bought a suncoast kit through him.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've never seen it done here but on another forum I participate people usually loan their special tools after their finish their job. Ends up more than paying for the tools and you help other members too. Might be something to think about for the future when you're done and have your expensive paper weights laying around.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Maybe Corey can offer some advice. He sells Sam Wyse transmissions and I know him and Sam are in contact. @[email protected]

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply.

What tools did you get?

Sounds like at a minimum I need the pump alignment tool ($50) and a the low/ reverse spring compressor ($130). some bushing tools to install the Superior Transmission upgrade kit ($100)

What were the tools you bought or needed? Do i have the basic ones covered?

Damon

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
When it comes to any automatic transmissions, I wont touch them. Building an engine is easy peasy compared to a 5R110. Better be prepared to pull it at least 3-5 times since you have never done one before.

Really? I mean it is easy to mess up if you don’t pay attention but it’s not that bad. I pulled mine twice because the pump that I had a local trans guy rebuild failed.

·
Vendor
12,879 Posts
Really? I mean it is easy to mess up if you don’t pay attention but it’s not that bad. I pulled mine twice because the pump that I had a local trans guy rebuild failed.

These arent exactly a TH400 GM trans. Lol. Some of the info in the ASTG manuals are also not 100% correct from what Sam has shown me and Chris at A-1 trans in Georgia.

·
Premium Member
7,750 Posts
At 137,000 miles unless you've really abused the truck I doubt your trans needs rebuilt. (Personal opinion only)

If it was me I think I'd just throw a new torque converter at it. (again, personal opinion)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
These arent exactly a TH400 GM trans. Lol. Some of the info in the ASTG manuals are also not 100% correct from what Sam has shown me and Chris at A-1 trans in Georgia.

No they aren’t but I’ve done a handful of GM 4l80’s and the 5r in some ways is easier.

Reactions: SparkyF250

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
At 137,000 miles unless you've really abused the truck I doubt your trans needs rebuilt. (Personal opinion only)

If it was me I think I'd just throw a new torque converter at it. (again, personal opinion)

True. But if there is any damage to clutches an upgraded converter is going to put more power to it and take it out sooner than the old converter would. If the trans is out and it needs a converter I would it least tear it down far enough to check out the direct clutch. They are the most common failure.
OP, if the trans doesn’t have material/debris in the fluid don’t bother pulling the pump apart unless the bushing needs replaced.

Reactions: SparkyF250

·
Premium Member
7,750 Posts
True. But if there is any damage to clutches an upgraded converter is going to put more power to it and take it out sooner than the old converter would. If the trans is out and it needs a converter I would it least tear it down far enough to check out the direct clutch. They are the most common failure.
OP, if the trans doesn’t have material/debris in the fluid don’t bother pulling the pump apart unless the bushing needs replaced.

Yeah that's why I qualified my post with "personal opinion" I stick by it too, the OP says it's minor but annoying. And he didn't complain about slippage, shifting issues, or codes.
That said, I do agree with you about having a look for debris in the pan/fluid, and maybe going as far as the direct clutch.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts