Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have over boosted twice this year pulling my 11k pound fiver.

It's a pain in the *** with the 6.0 as I have to pull over and reset the DTCs to get the power back.

It's really hilly around here and I am coming from a chipped early 99 7.3 6spd that we put 180k miles on.

I try to do the same drives with the new truck (stock) and it might just be a tiny bit short on power compared to the old 7.3.

I don't think there is a problem with the 6.0 truck, I just wonder if I am trying to get too much out of it stock?

My highway temp deltas are great at 5-6 degrees average.

Should I go ahead and take my chances with an SCT tow tune?

No studs . This truck is all stock and never been touched as far as coolers and egr failures.

Also, I hear all kinds of stories that the 6.0 is tuned for emissions and not economy or power? Is this true? and can I get the 19-20mpg I was getting out of my 7.3 with a good SCT tune?

Any advice from the towers out there would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
you need to get gauges to see how hot you are running her. I tow heavy and ask a ton from my truck, but i try to do it smartly and do have to moderate with the go pedal, i have a custom tow tune, but even stock with the a 17k trailer in tow, i feel like if i just mashed the pedal it would demand to much of the truck, you really do need to drive these smart in order to take care of them. I run a tow tune 100% of the time, you will definitely benefit while towing, but you would have to switch to economy tune to try to up your mpg, i tow so much it aint worth switching.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using an Edge Insight CS monitoring ECT EOT and FICMv.

I have not yet purchased the EGT add on yet as I hear it really isn't a problem on a stock truck. It would be in the plannings once any kind of programming is done to the truck.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I personally like my Snow Performance Stage 3 water methanol injection for towing. But when I am towing heavy I usually run just straight water. It gives it some extra a** that is for sure plus it lowers EGTs and cools boost. They also have an Mileage max setup. Semis ahve been using water injection systems for years to its not a "dangerous" concept like some think. I would go with an aftermarket intercooler set up too. I have the Banks set up super happy with it an tons of benefits over stock. I don't run any custom tunes so can't add there but these are too hard parts that I personally noticed serious gains especially towing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
ALSO like jet said guage are key and one important gauge I recommend over any gauge is Fuel Pressure!!! You would be surprised how much a stock pump drops pulling a heavy load up grade...and low pressure are death for these trucks. I ditched the stock junk pump and put a FASS pump in. Stock towing I would see it easily drop 5+ psi pulln a load up grade or just in general if I had to get on it. Sometimes dropping below 50psi. With my FASS in never drops more then 1 or 2 psi no matter how hard I am on it! That is a super plus for our injectors! Plus it removes air (Huge injector killer) and has a much larger fuel filter with many different micron options as well as a large water separator that you can actually drain unlike the stock one that seizes probably somewhere shortly after it rolls off the assembly like haha

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
What gears are you running? No I don't believe you are going to be able to get 19-20mpg out of it. I believe that you can safely run a tow tune even without studs. I don't believe there is any sense in going with an aftermarket intercooler pushing stock boost levels.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3.73s

Right now I have been averaging 15.5 per tank. 11mpg pulling the fifth wheel.

Can't really complain about that but was more curious if I could get close to what I was with our 7.3

Next plans will be exhaust and SCT tunes.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Tuner or not you WILL benefit from an aftermarket intercooler system such as the on from Banks and other companies. Its not always about "peak" boost levels with and intercooler system. The Factory unit has plastic sides (THAT LEAK) and when they leak what do you think happens lower boost..oh lower boost huh yeah that will help towing that big trailer up grade. They have smaller tubes and a smaller intake. New units like Banks are all aluminium with larger tubes. What Banks has to say "Techni-Cooler dramatically increases the cooling capacity by balancing the richer fuel mixture with greater airflow and cooler, denser air. Denser air has more oxygen, which improves combustion as well as engine efficiency. Result: higher continuous power and more power at any exhaust gas temp (EGT), better fuel economy and lower EGTs." And in the end I don't care what they say im just telling you from experience. I didn't build my truck up all at once I didn't have the bank account for that so I am telling you that I did see gains from that individual part. Because I put that in before any "computer" power adders. ESPECIALLY when I was towing my 73 F250 on a flatbed trailer. So for what thats worth....

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
3.73s

Right now I have been averaging 15.5 per tank. 11mpg pulling the fifth wheel.

Can't really complain about that but was more curious if I could get close to what I was with our 7.3

Next plans will be exhaust and SCT tunes.
I would consider a set of 4.30 gears for towing over 10k. That will make more of a difference than the same money spent on an intercooler.

Yes 350Powerstroker IF your end caps blow out and you are loosing boost ANY intercooler will improve the situation. Reciting Gale Banks ad copy is worthless. The Banks intercooler is a decent intercooler but there are better ways to spend the money, especially if your current intercooler is not having problems. This is my opinion. It is not necessary for you to agree with it.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
I would consider a set of 4.30 gears for towing over 10k. That will make more of a difference than the same money spent on an intercooler.

Yes 350Powerstroker IF your end caps blow out and you are loosing boost ANY intercooler will improve the situation. Reciting Gale Banks ad copy is worthless. The Banks intercooler is a decent intercooler but there are better ways to spend the money, especially if your current intercooler is not having problems. This is my opinion. It is not necessary for you to agree with it.
I believe that 4.30 gears will be my next upgrade.

But it sure would save you some hassle if you do... :poke

LMAO!!! :hehe:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Im not commenting on your opinion PG I am stating facts of performance increases I experienced TOWING with a particular upgrade TO Mr.Black.... as for the ad recite that is the easiest and fastest why to explain why a setup like that increases performance. That is the "sense" you did not see in an intercooler upgrade. I am speaking real world experiences...

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfotunately I drive the truck too much unloaded to justify a gear swap, even if I did it myself.

Intercoolers and other fancy parts are out of the question budget wise right now.

I can justify spending the cash on a custom SCT setup if it will improve performance safely. I understand there is always risk, but I want a safe tow tune.

I don't think I have any boost leaks btw. Edge CS showed my boost peak at 29 PSI.

I think that happened a couple trips ago when I got a little frustrated and stabbed the throttle on a big hill with the trailer on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts