Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Singer 270a alternator, got my pic's the other day and it's shipped. Impatiently waiting for it to arrive so I can install it. Anyone else running a singer? Did you use spacers under the alt? They don't make a 1/2" shorter belt that I can find

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Singer 270a alternator, got my pic's the other day and it's shipped. Impatiently waiting for it to arrive so I can install it. Anyone else running a singer? Did you use spacers under the alt? They don't make a 1/2" shorter belt that I can find View attachment 766992 View attachment 766993 View attachment 766994
I don't have one but that is a nice looking piece and I now want one!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: mjanzgarage

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have two Singer Alternators, Mike is a cool guy, both 6.0Ls rock his large has 270A hairpins. You are going to want to do the upgraded wiring overlay (you'll probably pick up anywhere from 0.5-1.0v when you do). Mike should have a chart with compatible belts. I run the smaller pulley (not his smallest) with OEM belt and it's fine, I do have a shorter one I found from the chart he provided. I get minimal belt slip with my OEM old *** belt and it's only at shutdown.

Only one of mine runs spacers, I got it before I knew what the hairpin was (top post) and had to do it to clear my OEM charge pipes.

http://instagr.am/p/BaSfMxxFws4/
http://instagr.am/p/BaO32nlFZZj/

Reactions: letsmow10

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice work on the install, I'm upgrading the wiring today in anticipation! Yeah Mike is great people for sure

·
Registered
918 Posts
Not sure I want to run around all day above 14.0v for my batteries ..... i'll stay with my L-N.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Makes both my DC power 190 = 13.2-4 hot days even after rebuilt and my leece neville 230 13.4-8 hot
look like jokes ( both with overdrive pulleys )
This will hot soak too, that video I posted was a fresh cold start, on a good hot GA day I've seen it bleed down to 13.6-13.75. I am not running his smallest OD pulley though.

Not sure I want to run around all day above 14.0v for my batteries ..... i'll stay with my L-N.
Nothing wrong with 14+ unless you are on standard lead acid (if i remember correctly), I believe they are not recommended to go above 14.6-14.8 most upgraded alternators cap at 14.5 in the voltage regulator if they do not know what batteries you plan to run. Remember though, as the alternator gets hot you lose voltage output (and amps). Even in the dead of winter I hardly ever hold above 14.3 for very long.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Because there's a lot of heat under that hood, even in winter.

Hot, you lose volts if the voltage regulator has a temperature compensated circuit. You do lose max amps as the alternator gets hot, and if you are near max amps due to the electrical draw, the lowering of amps will lower volts, less headroom. A stock 6.0L truck maxes out at about 75amps will every electrical device on, about 100a if it's an Excursion, battery recharge excluded for the small amount they are.

Standard or AGM, while AGM has a higher operating voltage range, it still requires a lower voltage as it gets closer to the float charge, and with an increase of its underhood temperature.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts