Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is the job, and how much is an alternator? Where can I get a manual for my 1999 7.3L F250 2WD SRW. What is the best brand of alternator to get. Thanks in advance!!

Rob

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I run one from Car Quest. Lifetime Warranty, it takes about 20 minutes to replace the alternator.

Disconnect the ground wires from the batteries. Then remove the belt from the alternator pulley. Then you remove the wires from the back of the alternator. Then remove the three bolts holding the alternator inplace. Then put the new one and reassemble everything.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
You will need a 1/2inch drive breaker bar to release the tension on the belt. You put the breaker bar in the spot on the tension pulley and pull the breaker bar this will release the tension on the belt then just slip the belt off the pulley.

The big wire on the back of the alternator under the cover of that wire is a nut. You will need I believe a 3/8 socket maybe a 10mm to remove the nut and then the wire will come off.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You will need a 1/2inch drive breaker bar to release the tension on the belt. You put the breaker bar in the spot on the tension pulley and pull the breaker bar this will release the tension on the belt then just slip the belt off the pulley.

The big wire on the back of the alternator under the cover of that wire is a nut. You will need I believe a 3/8 socket maybe a 10mm to remove the nut and then the wire will come off.
Just what he said,the nut holding the wire on is a 10mm,the 3 bolts holding the alt on are 13mm,use a long 1/2 inch ratchet with a cheater pipe to get the belt off(the cheater pipe just makes it easier). An alt will run ya between $160 to $200.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts