Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I got a 2006 F250 with 6.0 power stroke the battery wire or alternator is getting fire red hot I replace the alternator still doing the same thing replace the batteries still doing the same thing look for shorts in the wiring check my grounds even replaced the wires still same thing could I replace it with a single wire alternator or should I maybe pull fuses one by one until I find out where the overload is coming from

· Premium Member
5,147 Posts
What does your system voltage look like? How long ago did this start? Any recent work done?

-jokester

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Voltage output is low. But it doesn’t overheat until I plug the two wire plug from harness into alternator. It’s like there’s too much load coming from fuse box. Or the comp telling it to produce more amps. Or idk. Nothing new has been done. I’ve been mechanic since 2001. I’ve never seen this. I seen an article about starter maybe stuck. It doesn’t sound stick. Starts fine. But maybe solenoid on starter ??? I can’t find no wiring shorts. Grounds are good.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would check the power lead from the alt to the battery if it has a bad connection the alt will put out max amp
The dealer left mine loose and it burnt the cable and boot
That’s good I replaced it to see. It seems like exciter wire is sending wrong voltage idk. It’s a 2 wire system. Not sure what their signals should be

· Premium Member
5,147 Posts
One should be battery voltage KOEO, not sure about the other.

-jokester

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One should be battery voltage KOEO, not sure about the other.

-jokester
Yeah I think getting those values would help me a lot. Can’t find em anywhere. I’m not ready to pay someone to try at this. I see a lot of parts being thrown at it before the real problem is found. And I being out a lot of money for a small short or a different failed part somewhere

· Premium Member
5,147 Posts
You sure no one has replaced the alternator + cable to the battery with a higher rated fuseable link?

-jokester

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You sure no one has replaced the alternator + cable to the battery with a higher rated fuseable link?

-jokester
Na I replaced everything when this happened to be sure. All the wiring to batteries and alternator. The 2 wire plug seems to read the battery voltage when koeo. And other wire was 9.75 v when alt heated.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.