Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been saving my spare change for some time now and sometimes this month intend to purchase a used Ford truck. I can't stretch my money to get a 6.7 and, from what I've read, I'm going to avoid the 6.4. I have zeroed in on a few 6.0l that the owners claimed are studded and deleted (all of them between 175k and 225k). I'm searching down south because I want a good looking, rust free truck (almost an impossibility here in Illinois). As I begin to look is there any advice? I'm always geeked when I see that a truck I like has been studded and deleted or bulletproofed, but I have a feeling there is more to buying a diesel than that. This truck will be a daily driver and I don't plan on towing or hauling anything with it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The later model trucks (06 and 07) are generally less troublesome.

IMO.. If it's not documented with receipts and comes from a good shop, it's not worth more than a truck that hasn't been studded. Lots of fly-by-night shops out there flipping trucks left and right.

Look for a truck that says it's been fire-ringed.

Buy an OBD reader and make sure you try it out to see if there are any codes.

Insist on a long test drive to get it up to operating temps. Pop the hood and check for leaks.

Just some random thoughts. Good luck. I looked for a year before I found what I wanted.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The detail of fire-ringed I have never seen in a truck description. I'll also take the advice to ask for receipts on the studding and deleting work. I have an Bluetooth OBD II dongle but have only used it on gas engines. I need to check to see if the software show anything about a diesel engine. I have been lurking and looking for some time now.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
If you're going out of state, I'd have confidence in your seller. For example, I've seen some pretty nice excursions listed on Craigslist but when I go to the dealer website, they list no excursions on inventory. Classic Bait and Switch. A couple of the Dealer excursion pictures have been on for a couple of years.

Owners shouldn't mind sending photos to show that its deleted or studded. Dealers, I am not sure.

I don't think there's anything wrong with purchasing a truck from a dealer compared to a private owner.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I suggest that you get familiar with the term "bulletproof" and what it entails. In a great many ads, you will find this word used by sellers and they all have differing explanations as to what it means. True bulletproofing involves aftermarket parts from Bullet Proof Diesel located in Mesa Arizona, you can google them to find-out more about their products. Just because a seller incorrectly uses the term, it doesn't necessarily reflect badly on him or his truck, and whatever mods that were done could still be worth considering. The only reason I even mention any of this is because the verbiage is included in so many ads and can be confusing to some buyers.

Also, it's always a good idea to have an unrelated (6.0) qualified mechanic perform a pre-purchase inspection on the truck before closing the deal.

Reactions: Sock Puppet

·
Registered
54 Posts
i picked up a used 08 been deleted and etc and still had do a repair on flex plate and torque converter. long story short regardless be ready to turn a wrench or pay for repairs it comes with the territory

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the advice. I just contacted an owner about a truck, but I do need to look around the area for a shop that can evaluate the truck before I purchase.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm here asking the best questions I know how and taking the advice because I'm trying to get enough information to determine what's too good to be true. I have located a highly rated diesel shop in the area and will contact them on Monday about checking out one of the trucks I like

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I contacted a seller. His truck is a 2006 F250. He told me that the studs were done by the local Ford dealership and that a local shop (waiting on the name) did the delete. He bought the truck in 2008 and has all of his maint records. He bought to tow and ended up not doing that and consequently has only put 4k miles on it the last few years (hence the sale). He said the only time the truck has put him down was a seized caliper.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sounds like a good story and if it's all true it could be a good deal. I'd still have it looked at (if they'll let you). To be honest I couldn't find anyone that was willing to do that.

The truck I actually bought was owned by a sales rep at a dealership. He claimed that he had it thoroughly inspected and even let me talk to the service advisor about it. Both assured me that there were no issues at all. They did insist on as-is, where-is though. I was a 700 miles from home and had travelled specifically to buy the truck so I did. I trusted them and probably shouldn't have.. I also paid more than I felt comfortable with and justified it by saying it was really clean and what I wanted.

The reality was different. Turns out on the way home I was experiencing issues with overheating and blowing coolant out of the tank. I took it to a local shop where they confirmed an oil cooler failure which led to all the goodies being done at the same time. Overall, I'm happy now but at the time it was difficult.

The guy did end up giving me about $3000 back so I don't have any major Ill feelings about him but I really wish they would have been more honest to begin with.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those are the stories that worry me. I'm going to have a 16hr drive back where I to purchase the truck. He said that all work and maint was done by a local shop "not in his garage". I'm waiting on that name so that I can talk to them. I full intend to spend the money to have it check out if he will let me. If he is opposed to me having it looked at, I'll just pass on the deal. The truck really is what I want (I love the KR package) and it looks good, but I'm really working hard not to let that influence my decision. I'm also not opposed to the fact that the best thing to go might be to buy a gas truck instead.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
None of these trucks are going to be perfect. I really like this 4 part series:

Made me notice some things on some trucks I looked at, for example an FX4 bed was put on a 2WD pickup, and made me wonder what else was wrong. Also, some basic stuff I would not have thought of with things as simple as checking the bottom of the engine for oil.

These trucks are getting harder to find, at least the 6.0 excursion. I've been looking at 6.0 excursions for years and when I first started, there'd be at least a dozen private individuals selling them on Craigslist, and last I checked there was one. I'm in a valley with 4 million people, and if you're not by a major city, I could see it being the same for not just the excursion but any 6.0. If I'm serious about a excursion, I need to get one soon or I will be flying or driving or having it purchased and shipped in.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I feel ya man.

In the end, I'm happy. It just wasn't much fun getting there.

I looked high and low for a clean v10. All I found was one of two camps.. either beat to heck or a work truck.

Here's mine. Post up a pic when you have one.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Those are the stories that worry me. I'm going to have a 16hr drive back where I to purchase the truck. He said that all work and maint was done by a local shop "not in his garage". I'm waiting on that name so that I can talk to them. I full intend to spend the money to have it check out if he will let me. If he is opposed to me having it looked at, I'll just pass on the deal. The truck really is what I want (I love the KR package) and it looks good, but I'm really working hard not to let that influence my decision. I'm also not opposed to the fact that the best thing to go might be to buy a gas truck instead.
For now, I think your main focus should be finding a qualified mechanic in that area, assuming you move forward. I don't buy a lot of used vehicles but I suppose I've had my share and I can't readily recall any seller being against the idea of having a known local garage check-out the vehicle. As a seller, I've been asked to do that many times by a buyer and it was never a big deal, we all troop-down to the mechanic and get it done. If a person has a decent vehicle for sale, he's usually proud and open about it.

Once more, it's important to select someone who specifically knows and repairs the 6.0. Since the seller already has a relationship with the Ford Dealer, I would not use them.

If you can get by with a gasser and can find a decent deal, you might want to consider that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like a good story and if it's all true it could be a good deal. I'd still have it looked at (if they'll let you). To be honest I couldn't find anyone that was willing to do that.

The truck I actually bought was owned by a sales rep at a dealership. He claimed that he had it thoroughly inspected and even let me talk to the service advisor about it. Both assured me that there were no issues at all. They did insist on as-is, where-is though. I was a 700 miles from home and had travelled specifically to buy the truck so I did. I trusted them and probably shouldn't have.. I also paid more than I felt comfortable with and justified it by saying it was really clean and what I wanted.

The reality was different. Turns out on the way home I was experiencing issues with overheating and blowing coolant out of the tank. I took it to a local shop where they confirmed an oil cooler failure which led to all the goodies being done at the same time. Overall, I'm happy now but at the time it was difficult.

The guy did end up giving me about $3000 back so I don't have any major Ill feelings about him but I really wish they would have been more honest to begin with.

I'm always fairly suspicious when making a vehicle purchase. The fact that the service manager and sales rep worked at the same dealership would have caused me concern. Even with the one I'm looking at, one reason I want to know who did the work is so that I don't take it to them for evaluation.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm always fairly suspicious when making a vehicle purchase. The fact that the service manager and sales rep worked at the same dealership would have caused me concern. Even with the one I'm looking at, one reason I want to know who did the work is so that I don't take it to them for evaluation.
I have to agree that my problem was that I was too trusting. He was really nice and seemed to have similar values so that made it difficult to walk away from.

He did end up giving me $3k back which he didn't have to do. It didn't pay for the repairs in full, but it did help. In the end, I ended up with a nice truck so it's all good. It's been almost 3 years and it runs like a top.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,964 Posts
1 - 20 of 54 Posts