Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving down the road about 50 minding my own business when out of nowhere this car whips in front of me and slams on her brakes.

I stood on the truck, both feet, all the way to the floor. As the seconds drag out like minutes I watch her getting closer and closer, time seems to stand still, I lose sight of the back of her car. Yea, it's that close. I know crunch is coming and then we both come to a stop. All I can see is her back window. No crunch.

And she never even acknowledged I was there. Doubt she even knew how close she came to a 9000lb headache.

I got the shakes and sweats from it, but the Truck did just fine, no muss, no fuss, no squealing, wiggling or anything. It just squatted down and did it's very best to keep from crunching that dingbat in the car.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It is something how these big trucks can stop.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Its amazing how stupid people are!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
47 Posts
My neighbor and I were installing a leveling kit yesterday. He remarked a few times on the size of the rotors. After hearing your story sounds like they are sized right! ;)

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I've had a few close calls like that. I'm just glad I never have a trailer when it happens!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
149 Posts
It is a shame that people are that STUPID to pull out if front of you and do that, It is great to know that these TRUCKS have some great brakes, I noticed that when test driving them myself!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I traded my Hummer for my SD. I change the pads and rotors three time trying to get that beast to stop. No luck ended up with Hawk ceramic pads and over sized slotted cryo hardened Brimbo rotors with SS lines. What I should of done was put the Ford SD brakes on it. Stock SD brakes work great! I always tell my wife wow I can't believe how good this truck can stop.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I have been in that situation with and with out a trailer, its alot easier with out a trailer so you can have both hands on the wheel and not have to have one hand on the brake controler telling the trailer to stop faster.

·
Registered
497 Posts
and the 2013s are getting bigger brakes!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've read where some folks said the brakes felt mushy. But, coming from a line of Tundras, I think my SD stops very well. I feel secure and she will squat down and put the whoa down!

Glad it turned out well. I hate when people do that to me...

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Our 04 has been mushy since we first got it, it seems like you could just keep pushing all the way to the floor and it only has 25k miles

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still think it's a mushy pedal, but that doesn't seem to effect it's ability to perform.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My truck felt great until about 10,000 mi then one day it got soft and spongy (the truck not the driver). I knew it was pointless to do anything about it as it does what its supposed to do and I know I would be laughed at bringing it in to the dealer for it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I am also amazed as of how fast these trucks can stop and how well the Ford SD pads work with the factory rotors and calipers. I have had a few close calls myself and will say my old stock height truck with stock wheels and tires stopped on a dime. My new truck with the lift, wheels, and tires doesn't stop quite as great but it still gets the job done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
really...out of all the things I love about this truck...I think my brakes are horrible...does Brembo or any one make an aftermarket kit, or should I tell my service mgr at ford?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts