Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 F350 CCSB, 7.3 fan clutch, Riffraff CAC boots, 135a alt, deleted, studded SCT livewire ts
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally tore into the cooling system, nothing was wrong yet but I didn’t want to wait. Would have went with a billet BPD water pump if the pump itself didn’t cost as much as all of the other parts combined. I bought an alliant pump with the steel impeller and it looks plenty strong enough to last.

I did get the BPD adapter as all the others I could find on Amazon, although much cheaper, had the occasional less than outstanding review.

After much reading about the utility of it, and the fact that two of the mounting points were already broke. I decided screw it and hacked up the stator to get it out. Now belt changes will be much easier. I know I may lose some efficiency without it, but I just took it out and flogged the hell out of her while I was bedding in the rear brake pads and the fan kicks in and let’s you know it’s there right around 199 degrees. I don’t intend to tow very heavy anyway so I think I’ll be ok. I did install the fan shroud even though the last pic doesn’t show it. While I was in there I figured it was the perfect time to replace the ect sensor as it hadbeen reading a little high when cold, now it’s all good again. I also tracked down the leak on my FPR, the rubber gasket somehow got pinched and torn when installing it. Now with the blue spring and a regular housing I still have the same pressure I had it dialed in at anyway.

·
Registered
2004 (Early) F-350 SC SRW 4x4 6sp
167 Posts
I'll probably around stupid for asking, but what's a stator here? I'm only familiar with that word in electric motors.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 (Early) F-350 SC SRW 4x4 6sp
167 Posts
It is the chopped up plastic thing in the first picture.
Gracias. Makes perfect sense now in that it's a stationary component. Yeah it would be nice to run without it but I would assume it's removal would cause a non-insignificant loss in cooling efficiency.
If mine was busted up I'd try running without it but it's not so...

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I entertained removing the stator, but my gut feeling told me it is there for a reason. I tow heavy once in a while and was not going to chance it, especially since it cools awesome as is.

If you don't tow at all, then I am sure you'll be ok

Reactions: bismic

·
Administrator
31,378 Posts
Someone did do some testing with the stator and di see some decrease in cooling in certain situations but it was not huge
it is also supposed to tame the sound of all the air

funny how a cheap stamped steel impeller seems to perform as well as the closed vortex style

·
Registered
2005 F350 CCSB, 7.3 fan clutch, Riffraff CAC boots, 135a alt, deleted, studded SCT livewire ts
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I drove it to work today and it’s definitely louder. Once warmed up it sounds like a city bus above 1500 rpms. It must pull some serious air though. Running ac on max and I have to work to get the temps over 190, while eot stays about 6-10 degrees higher. Overall I’m satisfied with the 7.3 fan. Not sure if this falls into the reliability category or more of the planned upgrades I’ve wanted to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts