Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, normally on a Solid axle truck I use 3' levels and C-clamp them to the rotors and align it with a tape, toe in measurement. IIRC On my Dana 44 I was running about 1/8"-5/16" toe in w/3' "tires". Once toe was set I'd center the wheel with the drag link adjustment. and it drove beautifully. Is that going to work on these trucks? my truck has 13k miles and I've owned it since new, and am very picky about Front Axle adjustments. I've made sure the front axle ball joints and such have not been adjusted (binding). So How do I get an alignment done? I just want toe and wheel adjusted and caster/camber "checked". If I have an alignment done... probly going to be my local ford dealer, or me in the driveway. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Can you get the specs for it? It would give you a place to start. I have paid for an alignment and then asked the tech for the print out that show the specs so I have my base line. This is on my 78 F-150, I have not had to do you 03 yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
not cracking on you but sayin your picky about the alignment and that you use two long levels with a tape measure are contradictory statements. Current, well even 10 year old technology is well beyond a tape measure as far as accuracy goes. Its been 5 years since I worked regularly doing alignments but we could easily get to a 10th of a degree with the laser setup. Plus you could measure the thrust angle and adjust the fronts to match the rear so all the wheels are going down the road parallel.
NOW one thing important to note is not every alignment tech is equal. some just make sure everything is green, some center everything to the best of their ability. All I can say is that a 6 pack of coke, mountain dew or whatever goes a long way. We had guys come rolling in with their car and when I pulled it in to the rack they were waiting with a 12pack of cold soda's. they would say hey I really need my setup dialed in can you hook me up and oh by the way I thought you guys could use a soda... had a few guys slip me a $10 or $20. A little bit goes a long way!!!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear ya. I was trained on a Hunter Limo alignment rack in '99. The best shop I've found locally for work (little bit I've had done) is my local Ford Quick Lane. They fixed my 35" tire balancing issue after 4wheel parts F'k it up good. They actually had M.C. weights and a Hunter Force balancer and were cheaper than almost any tire shop around. So I'm probably going to have them do the Alignment on it. I just don't want some goof ball adjusting my Dana 60 Knuckles that only have 13k miles on them. I want toe and steering wheel adjustments, that's it. everything else.. caster and camber just need to be "checked" and make sure they are within spec.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts