Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Been a member of the site since I bought my 2001 F-250 7.3 PSD new and i apologize for long history.
Truck is stock except for an S&B air intake system and Ford 6.0 trans 25 row cooler added in 2017. No temp gauges were added.
Towed a 12K fifth wheel cross country 20K miles in 2001. My GCWR was 19,500
Crossed all Rocky Mtn passes on I-70 holding truck to 2,500 rpm (@45-50 mph). Never saw engine temp move at all during RV towing. Truck has never overheated and I always followed Ford maintenance schedule.

Sold camper after that trip and used the truck for my light duty contracting business until 2017, when I retired and bought another 10K dry fifth wheel.
We did another 15K mile cross country trip although I did add the cold air intake system and the trans cooler before this trip. Truck handled well with no breakdowns or performance issues except for the same reduced mountain pass acceleration, same as above.

Truck has 170K miles now and since Covid we have done 1,000 to 3,000 mile RT to Smokey Mtns each summer. I feel the truck has lost some power climbing grades.
A basic OBD reader shows no codes on computer and I believe the turbo boost is normal ( unloaded reads 15 lbs of torque when accelerating but need to re-check with Forscan when hooked up to the fiver)
I plan on taking my rig to Alaska in the spring and would request some input on what tests to have done on truck to gauge performance issues and /or boost power somewhat (without chipping the truck’s PCM), although I did consider the TS6 for a light tune to boost HP and torque slightly ?? Local diesel shop recommendation in So Florida would also be appreciated.

I don’t want a new truck bc of cost , DEF cycling and computerized technology I like the simplicity of the 7.3 and it has been extremely reliable having NEVER broken down once !!
What do you gurus recommend ?? I am not averse to dropping $10K into the truck if it helps bulletproof the truck…. I just love and prefer to keep her.

Thanks ....
Michael
Car Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design

Reactions: Vice_II

· Registered
244 Posts
at 80 years young here, I am going to leave mine almost stock, simply because it will last longer that way.

I bought the S&B air intake system, grossly over priced, but I liked the "packaging", it is so damn neat.

bought it up in Montana almost sight unseen, not a super wise move, as I have had to fix some issues long before I got very far with it..... still, all in, I am still a few kilo bucks below Retail value on it and I know what I have....

the Alternator died, simply because the hood insulation fell apart and stopped all the air vents and it go too hot, so I installed a MechMan so that even at idle, it will keep the battery up with both A/C fans on high, and also run my DC electric Fridge... that wasn't cheap either, but I really enjoy seeing the voltmeter hanging at 14.4 idling.

my RV is an old Weekend Warrior FB2600 and it seems to weigh about 8600 according to the Cat Scales as we head out to enjoy a few days away from home. In this pix, she is sleeping with a Battery Tender, no warm garage for her here.

Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Wheel Vehicle

I stopped over in Price, Utah to visit with my sister and that turned into as 3 month stay, because she and hubby fell ill with that Covid stuff, leaving me to take care of their horse, llamas and broken irrigation system.... learned how to use their Backhoe doing that, I thought I was a kid caught in the Candy Store ;) I had a new Toy to play with...

Anyway, they appreciated me staying over with them and gave me their 50 year old Kubota which has been dead for 20 years, simply because it would not start... and he did not know how to figure out why..... I figured it out in about 3 hours, bought a new battery, and they sent me home with it.....

the 7.3 towed that tractor over 10,600 ft passes in Colorado and New Mexico and like yours, it never once overheated.... I never pushed it beyond 2,000 rpm, and it averaged right at 15 mpg towing it home, 1800 miles

the tractor, and our RV in the background

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wish that purty trailer belonged to me, but it has to go back to Utah in the spring time, hope the price on Diesel is more reasonable by then.

if you have an Android phone, install an App called 'Fuelio', I really like it, you can keep records of expenses, and it calculates MPG between fillups and gives a running average on MPG.

Communication Device Font Gadget Screenshot Technology

· Premium Member
442 Posts
I can’t say what needs to be done on a truck that seems to be working. I try not and fix things that are working. Where are you planing on going in Alaska? I might be able to give you some pointers on that portion anyway since I’ve lived here for about 37 years and have traveled pretty much everywhere you can drive or fly or boat to.

Reactions: Vice_II

· Premium Member
11,958 Posts
tool kit with tools to put spare on, re-install popped off intercooler boots, basics etc. I always carry few gallons of water for travel for me and if the truck ever springs a leak. Duct tape and zipties are a life saver....

tire plug kit, 12v air compressor, pressure gauge
spare tire (check it out thoroughly)
tool kit
fuel treatment (traveling in winter you never know the fuel quality)
credit card and AAA or similar and some extra cash
I carry food/water for at least 3 days for winter trips.

Last December did a 980 mile trip that was usually 15 hrs. it took me 25hrs because of all the accidents, chain up spots and miles and miles of snow that was almost up to my knees when I got out to fuel up. road trip from hell...

· Registered
394 Posts
Can not agree with Justin enough....

I would add not just the spare, make sure all tires are in top shape.
Maybe a spare gallon of your favorite engine oil.
Maybe a spare fuel filter, just because you never know about junk fuel or freezing.

Folks seem to want to carry half of the trucks payload of spare parts, I see no reason for stuff like that.
Before you roll out have all the maintenance up to date.

· Premium Member
442 Posts
tool kit with tools to put spare on, re-install popped off intercooler boots, basics etc. I always carry few gallons of water for travel for me and if the truck ever springs a leak. Duct tape and zipties are a life saver....

tire plug kit, 12v air compressor, pressure gauge
spare tire (check it out thoroughly)
tool kit
fuel treatment (traveling in winter you never know the fuel quality)
credit card and AAA or similar and some extra cash
I carry food/water for at least 3 days for winter trips.

Last December did a 980 mile trip that was usually 15 hrs. it took me 25hrs because of all the accidents, chain up spots and miles and miles of snow that was almost up to my knees when I got out to fuel up. road trip from hell...
That’s just the standard things we carry in Alaska. With the addition of winter survival gear if you’re traveling during winter months. People have frozen to death in the winter up here because they didn’t think they were going to have an issue and then did. Depending on the road you’re on you could be waiting hours and sometimes a day or more without seeing anyone that can help you. Being self sufficient is a must up here.
I also carry extra oil, antifreeze, distilled water, magnesium fire starter, winter boots and a gun, although that one might be difficult when traveling through canduckistan.

· Premium Member
442 Posts
Good advice for the States, maybe not 1,000 miles into the great white north…
As far as I know there are only two AAA locations in Anchorage and that’s it. Don’t know if that matters with AAA or not since I’m not a member.

· Registered
244 Posts
I found American Express to be accepted almost every where, even when my VISA cards were rejected.

I also have a Discover Card that had to be used this week, when the AMEX card would not process? weird.

Plus, I carry about $1,000 of cash because a lot of places don't have an Internet Connection, it is Cash and Carry.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys,
Maybe I was too wordy in my description .
I won't be traveling there in winter, but in spring.
What I need is some pointers of improving power and performance on a stock truck towing a 12K fifth wheel.
Mileage is average at 20-22 hwy depending on wind and 11-12 towing the 12K camper, flat grade. Just seems to lose power up the 7% grades more lately.

· Registered
384 Posts
If you don’t want to chip the pcm I would consider a billet wheel for the turbo I think KC sells those and maybe lightening up the exhaust make it flow. I would also get a way to monitor your exhaust gas temps, on my 6.0 that is my limiter when going up grades my oil/coolant/trans never get up there but the egt will have me lifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts