Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

AIS install

93K views 72 replies 50 participants last post by  chrgd2000 
G
#1 ·
Got my AIS severe duty intake system today. It is the only aftermarket High Flow air intake system autorized by Ford for the 7.3. I would have taken pics but it would have literally taken more time to take them and put them on here then to install the system. However that is not the reason I didn't take pics, I forgot my camera. It only took about 10 minuets to remove the old system and install the new one. I took about 1.5hrs though because I took steel wool and mothers aluminum polish and polished my cac tubes. Along with the new air system and foil delete it sounds just like a 6.0! The turbo SCREAMS! Very loud. I love it. Any questions just ask.

Jon

#33 ·
AIS INTAKE

INSTALLED THE FORD AIS INTAKE TODAY. TEST DROVE THE TRUCK AND PERFORMANCE SEEMED TO BE ABOUT THE SAME AS THE K&N. I COULDNT HEAR ANY NOISE FROM THE FILTER, BUT MY TURBO WHISTLE WAS NOT AS LOUD. THE COST OF $220.00 IS WORTH THE PIECE OF MIND, KNOWING I HAVE GOOD FILTRATION. IF ANYONE BUYS A KIT MAKE THEM GIVE YOU BEST PRICE, NOT THE LIST PRICE OF $295.00 OR 250.00. HOPE THIS INFO HELPS.:thumb:

#34 ·
#36 ·
No it didn't come with the sleeve.

#37 ·
How often do you have to change the AIS filter? It seems like a very large filter element that could last quite a while so long as you don't spend a lot of time bumping around the desert...

#38 ·
i have a ais for sale i went to the afe stage 2 and the only down side is its like 90 for a new filter

#50 ·
Only?!?! Seems like a lot! I'm going to weigh mine also, see what it collects in six months or so!

#41 ·
does anyone have a pic of this installed on there truck. I would like to see what it looks like compared to the stock filter set up. thanks

#42 ·
This is not exactly an answer to your post, but there is a good pic of the parts at this link: Diesel Power Products | FA-1759 | AIS Severe Duty Intake System 98.5-03 7.3L Powerstroke

I am considering the AIS, and wondered if anyone has "skeletonized" the airbox to allow for greater airflow...the box and snorkle seem to be the greatest restriction. I know they offer a foam sleeve to connect to the fender cutout, then drill the box to accept it. Seems like an ok compromise, but I am still wondering if anyone has that level of filtration with a free flowing airbox setup. Maybe the fender sleeve doodad with the snorkle and zoodad is the answer, :crazy:.....

#44 ·
#45 ·
Installing the AIS was very "bolt on" simple. The snorkel on the AIS is larger than the stock version.

I removed the foil on the hot side IC pipe while I had everything off. Can't hear any more turbo sound than before. Dang, I wanted to hear that whine.

I won't drill any holes until I get a filter light. I do have the Dr. Performance grill mod. It's kinda pricey but it opens up the panel on the grill so it's a straight shot up the snorkel.

So far no problems but so far I'm still mostly stock without any tuning. Next is an exhaust then the fun begins. I'm watching the gauges (boost, EGT) to get a feel for the stock setup.

This is going to get interesting.

#51 ·
I did a lot of research on this a couple years ago when I was choosing an intake. I first did the DIY Tymar and hated the whoosh sound from the turbo on deceleration. After more research I was convinced the AIS was the best flowing, cleanest choice available. Purchased mine from Your Premiere Source for Ford Truck Parts and Accessories. I also installed the fender sleeve which does require drilling about a 2" hole in the filter assembly and the sleeve connects it to a factory cut out in the fender wall. The area behind the fender wall is fairly well sealed from outside debris. I also have the zoodad mod so it flows very well and I don’t get that that annoying sound just LOTS of scream from the turbo. I chose the fender sleeve because of the reports of the filter minder light. I have had zero problems, still on the first filter and have seen no issue with dirt or debris from the fender sleeve mod.

#52 ·
#54 ·
I had to unplug the sensor to turn the air filter light on in the cab. It came on everytime I got over 20lbs of boost. brand new filter... So now no more light!

#55 ·
So, is the AIS better than the AFE 2? I am running the AFE 2. Just curious. Looking for humble opinions of course! lol

#61 ·
it sounds like this ais filter kit can be had with or without the early 99 sleeve. I have a E99 how do ensure I get the sleeve? is there a different part # can this be ordered from the ford dealer? my dad works at a ford dealer.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.