Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
it sounds like this ais filter kit can be had with or without the early 99 sleeve. I have a E99 how do ensure I get the sleeve? is there a different part # can this be ordered from the ford dealer? my dad works at a ford dealer.....

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
it sounds like this ais filter kit can be had with or without the early 99 sleeve. I have a E99 how do ensure I get the sleeve? is there a different part # can this be ordered from the ford dealer? my dad works at a ford dealer.....

I'd just have your dad check it out then honestly. It's a seperate part. A simple search on goggle and you'll find it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

DOH! Just realized this was a few months old

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been wanting to do something like this for a while. I have e99. Sounds like the filter is completely enclosed? Don't think I need the snorkel, dusty roads in ID, any fender holes that need plugging? Thanks

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
I've been wanting to do something like this for a while. I have e99. Sounds like the filter is completely enclosed? Don't think I need the snorkel, dusty roads in ID, any fender holes that need plugging? Thanks

No fender holes need plugged, there's an option to run a sleeve that vents from the fender, if you don't want that then it's set up just like the stock airbox.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just installed the kit

And now I have blowby smoke. I just bought the truck last Thursday. During test drive and once this last weekend I checked it and no smoke. Now that this kit is in and it's breathing, I have smoke. I thought it odd considering everyone seems to say their 7.3 has some smoke from the filler tube at idle.

I'm chalking this up as a good thing. I did notice while I was installing the intake kit that there was some mindblower performance box hooked to the sensor on the back of the filter housing. Any idea what that is?

·
Registered
22 Posts
And now I have blowby smoke. I just bought the truck last Thursday. During test drive and once this last weekend I checked it and no smoke. Now that this kit is in and it's breathing, I have smoke. I thought it odd considering everyone seems to say their 7.3 has some smoke from the filler tube at idle.

I'm chalking this up as a good thing. I did notice while I was installing the intake kit that there was some mindblower performance box hooked to the sensor on the back of the filter housing. Any idea what that is?
Sounds like a resistor mod and it belongs in the trashcan.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
I first went with a K&N replacement panel. I noticed a little faster spooling and 0.5 mpg better. Then I read how poorly they filter. I debated very hard between the AIS and an S&B kit. They were both $200. I bought the AIS. I ran it for about 4 years. I did NOT notice any faster spooling, more turbo whistle, more power, better spooling, or better MPG. What I did notice is the filter plugging WAY FASTER than I expected. How often were y'all replacing your filters? At $75 each, its pricey to replace every 10-15k. I was driving about 30k/year. I noticed two of them plug...I mean hard starting, pulling oil past the turbo and leaking everywhere, bad mileage....at about 20k.....of only highway driving. After the last incident, I was pissed. I bought the S&B filters airbox kit, which is now about $250. I never looked back. EGTs dropped a couple hundred. LOTS of turbo whistle. Faster spooling. I love the kit. They are the only company I've found that actually gives you filtration data proving it filters as good as stock, but with, for a 7.3, 38% better flow. I was cleaning it every 10 or 15k, but am now going to do it every 5k w/ oil changes. S&B customer service is top notch. They have addressed any need I have....including sending me a different, uncut box so I can cut my own holes and install an ARB Safari Snorkel. I CANNOT speak highly enough of S&B. I would NEVER suggest anyone get the AIS kit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed the AIS about 6 months ago with the sleeve. Took about 40 minutes start to finish. I have owned this truck since I bought it new in 1999. Just turned 140,000 miles. I wish I had bought the AIS a long time ago. Very good system, I live in Texas. We get it all. Highly recommend this filter over anything else on the market.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I installed the AIS about 6 months ago with the sleeve. Took about 40 minutes start to finish. I have owned this truck since I bought it new in 1999. Just turned 140,000 miles. I wish I had bought the AIS a long time ago. Very good system, I live in Texas. We get it all. Highly recommend this filter over anything else on the market.
I HAVE TWO QUESTIONS:....

WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR FILTER SYSTEM FROM?....

AND DO THEY SELL THE FENDER SLEEVE SEPARATELY?....

THANKS.....

·
Registered
272 Posts
I got my from Rockauto for around $230, it doesn't come with the foam sleeve if you need one for an E99 though

RockAuto AIS

If you look around online you can find a code for 5% to help bring the price down even more;)

61 - 72 of 72 Posts