Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
You can pull air through both can't you? you just have to modify the grill part to pull from their too? I'm not 100% sure but when I get mine I'll post up

Luke

·
Lubrication Addict
236 Posts
If your truck only sees paved roads, the fendor mod is a good choice. If your truck plays in the mud and sand and dirt roads? Not a good choice! Reason being? The fendor wells is the first place all that good stuff usually hits first. I like my incoming air cool and clean. I just drilled 30 holes in the front of the grill. And placed a small screan over the holes to keep out small bugs and other stuff. Now also something to think about, if your following someone close down a dirt road or sandy road, don't tailgate them... All that dirt and sand is going to end up in your air intake system with the zoodad mod. Back off about 4 to 5 truck links. I make it a habit to take the air filter out once a month and blow it out with the air compressor and clean out the inside of the housing. Cheap insurance. Filters last alot longer also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
:icon_ford:i have the kit which lets the ais breath through the fender i makes the most difference with a chip or programer, the ais does not flow enough with a programer set on high but with the mod to breath through the fender it works much better.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've seen that AIS filter advertized at the local Ford shop. Is it a better system then the others out there like AFE. or K&N . Just got the truck and looking to up grade the fuel mileage first.

·
Lubrication Addict
236 Posts
IMHO: The AIS was made for severe dusty conditions. If your truck never sees a dirt road or sand. I would go with an open air element system. The AIS will not flow as much air as an open filter. I don't plan adding alot of mods to my truck, and I live in Oklahoma where dirt is always blowing in the air. {My reason for using the AIS}.

It all depends on what your plans are with your new truck. I would stay away from the K&N. The more hp you add to your truck, the more air you are going to need.

The AIS filters very very Well, and still allows a good air flow, do the Zoodad mod for more fresh cool air from the front of the truck.

It's by far the best filtering filter made for the 7.3L.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks Syn for the info.
My plans for the truck are a 4 inch straight thru exhaust from the turbo back. some sort of programmer or chip. and a larger intake filtering system. I drive a combination of paved and gravel roads roads. but mostly on paved roads. Here in Montana there a lot of gravel. I don't know what type of systems to get.for this truck. I did about the same mods on my 96 F350 and had good luck with it. That one is for sale.

·
Registered
235 Posts
AIS CFM Flow?

Does anyone know what the CFM flow rate is on the Ford AIS?
I have searched but can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Does anyone know what the CFM flow rate is on the Ford AIS?
I got this from another thread:

Air filter comparison. This is specifically for the 99-03 7.3
Stock = 277 CFM
AFE Proguard7 = 582 CFM
Tymar = 425 CFM

Anyone know what the CFM is for the Ford Air Inteake System (AIS)?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ford AIS= 750 CFM.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Got my AIS severe duty intake system today. It is the only aftermarket High Flow air intake system autorized by Ford for the 7.3. I would have taken pics but it would have literally taken more time to take them and put them on here then to install the system. However that is not the reason I didn't take pics, I forgot my camera. It only took about 10 minuets to remove the old system and install the new one. I took about 1.5hrs though because I took steel wool and mothers aluminum polish and polished my cac tubes. Along with the new air system and foil delete it sounds just like a 6.0! The turbo SCREAMS! Very loud. I love it. Any questions just ask.

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
AIS INTAKE

INSTALLED THE FORD AIS INTAKE TODAY. TEST DROVE THE TRUCK AND PERFORMANCE SEEMED TO BE ABOUT THE SAME AS THE K&N. I COULDNT HEAR ANY NOISE FROM THE FILTER, BUT MY TURBO WHISTLE WAS NOT AS LOUD. THE COST OF $220.00 IS WORTH THE PIECE OF MIND, KNOWING I HAVE GOOD FILTRATION. IF ANYONE BUYS A KIT MAKE THEM GIVE YOU BEST PRICE, NOT THE LIST PRICE OF $295.00 OR 250.00. HOPE THIS INFO HELPS.:thumb:

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
No it didn't come with the sleeve.

·
Registered
202 Posts
How often do you have to change the AIS filter? It seems like a very large filter element that could last quite a while so long as you don't spend a lot of time bumping around the desert...

·
Registered
119 Posts
i have a ais for sale i went to the afe stage 2 and the only down side is its like 90 for a new filter

·
Cynic
11,178 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
only 2.78 lbs and nice signature

21 - 40 of 72 Posts