Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I ran the tank a little too low and it sucked air into the lines I believe. This is on a 2000 7.3 powerstroke.

So, there's fuel at the bowl and I broke the line at the drivers side head and ran fuel through it until the air bubbles went away and finally got it to start. Stumbled like hell, ran a little decent after revving it a bit but when I take it out I can drive probably 1-2 miles, soon as I get the truck in 4th gear (manual), it starts to stumble, I lose RPM and it eventually dies.

Now I've bled this fitting at the drivers side head about 10 times, each time I'll get air out, drive a mile or two, die, repeat this process 10x. STILL the truck stumbles and dies, and it's been getting worse, with more air. I have no idea what the hell to think anymore... I've let it sit on high idle for hours with no effect.

The entire fuel system has been checked from the tank up to the bowl, no leaks, tank is 100% full with diesel, cetane boost, ATF and various other **** we've put in. All fittings and lines are good on the heads, no leaks, no possible entry of air. Filters are new, pump is running good I'm getting decent pressure, so it's not a fuel delivery issue, especially since it just came about after the fuel light came on.

Any suggestions? I'm sick and tired of dealing with this truck. Whatever the hell is going on, it's happening in the heads and its definately due to air.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Did you change the fuel filter? If not get a new one and change it out. The filter maybe clogged and not allowing fuel to pass through it.

Also these engines are self priming and bleeding. Just let it run the air will bleed out eventually.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would take Big Countys advise and it might not hurt to let it sit and idle for about a half an hour or so before you take it out and push her hard. Good luck.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I would take Big Countys advise and it might not hurt to let it sit and idle for about a half an hour or so before you take it out and push her hard. Good luck.
Yeah I won't even admit how many times I ran out of fuel. Back when my fuel gauge was messed up it was quite often.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've let it idle for 3 days straight, first day was on high idle (1200 rpm), last 2 days on normal idle (600 rpm)... tried to drive it home yesterday and it started to choke again once I start shifting gears and putting the pedal down... kinda hesitates to rev up too.

Any other suggestions?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
You have something going. You need to get this hooked up to a diagnostic computer. Run some tests on it. Scan for codes, something else is going on. May need to drop the tank and clean the fuel pick up assembly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I finally shut it off today. Still runs like ***... guess I'll have to drop the tank, which I didn't want to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
doug

I feel your pain. We went through a similar episode with our 2000 7.3. Turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator which is situated on the driver's side of the filter bowl. The regulator restricts the fuel from returning to the tank. If the four corned "O ring behind the flare on the return line is damaged you should replace it too. I serves as a vibration damper. Hope this helps. Doug

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So there's a regulator? See, I've been looking at the fuel lines the best I can, since there's so much **** on top of these motors and from what I can understand:

You've got your primary line coming from your tank, through your high pressure fuel pump up to the bottom of your fuel bowl--then the fuel comes through the filter to the bottom two fittings on the passenger side to the heads, and finally up to the top on the drivers side through a fitting to the return line straight to the tank. And I've also been told there's a return on the back of the heads too, which I couldn't find.

I didn't necessarily see a 'regulator' of any sort, like I'm familliar with on a gasoline engine, which is basically a diaphram hooked up to your vacuum line.

·
Registered
146 Posts
before you just go droppin your fuel tank, try d/c ing the line into the pump, putting on a line into a 5 gallon bucket of fuel and seeing if it helps. droppin your tank is a father, ive done it too many times before i did the pre pump filter mod, if theres junk in the tank, you gotta pull it anyway, b utat least you can rule that out. also, test the flow of your pump. take the filter off, see the fuel level in the bowl, if its low, turn key and see it fill up , it should fill up pretty quick, if there is a restriction if the fuel flow, youll probly see air bubbles in the line going into the bowl

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Since you ran it out of fuel it's very possible that you sucked up all of the junk on the bottom of the tank. Have you checked or replaced your filter yet?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I've replaced the filter at the bowl, dropped the tank a second time, completely emptied it and cleaned it out and cleaned the pickup assembly with compressed air. Everything is AOK from the tank to the pump, from there on I don't know.

Now, I pulled the filter in the bowl and turned the key on, it filled up fairly quick--however when I try to empty the bowl with the plastic valve on the back it empties VERY slow, I'm guessing there's debris in there, which bothers me because I wonder if there's debris in any other lines. You would 'think' that the filter would catch it, and yes I know everyone and their brother has junk in the bottom of the bowl, but still.

Next step, I don't know... I'm guessing it's the regulator? Or maybe the pump, no idea.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Sounds like you've got something else going on. Was there a lot of debris in the tank? Was the filter clogged? Did you drain and clean the bowl when you did the filter? Have you checked fuel pressure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts