Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
back to business
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know there are threads out there about this, but what I'm looking for I can't quite find.
What I'm looking for, specifically, is info on the DF-165, but if you have info on any other comparable set up, feel free to post in here.

Who has had failures? Who hasn't? Trying to get an idea of the failure percentage.

If you have not had any problems, please post, with the mileage on your system, (this info is important, to get an accurate failure percentage)

If you have had a failure, was it a sudden failure (truck ran fine one day / wouldn't start the next) or was it a gradual failure (you saw the fuel pressure slowly dropping off over a period of months/weeks/days) and what was the mileage on the system at the time of failure?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
mine has been fine.. but i have only about 6000miles on the system

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I was wondering the same thing.
Everyone I know locally hasn't had a airdog 2 motor last more then 6 months. Which is why I'm going with a 150 as a lift pump

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Mine has been problem free. I have around 10,000 miles on it so far.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I think that after my research the ad2 really benefits from a sump to put less strain on the motor.... I should have a sump installed on mine in a week or 2

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
How many people is that if you dont mind my asking??
3 of them on 6.0's. 1 on a 7.3. A sump would help a ton. It has a hard time sucking all of that fuel trough those little lines. None of the trucks have stock injectors. A stock truck might not put as much strain on it

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
525 Posts
The stock truck theory has nothing to do with it! I have stock injectors at the moment i put an ADII on around December and in about a month i started blowing the inline fuse so i called airdog they sent me a new pump and i put it on and i have had no problems since!

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
I've had an AD2 for three years now, two with a sump with zero issues. The earlier AD2's had some issues which seemed to have been cleared up with the SS regulator material they use now.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I've installed quite a few of these and the only issue we have ever had was user error (ran it out of diesel and it had to be re primed) but he didn't know how to prime it after running it dry.

·
Super Moderator
28,718 Posts
I choose not to run one because of all the complaints
and google will get some real world input Some vendors even stopped selling them ?

I see your all over the boards compiling results ! good job

airdog 2 failures - Google Search

·
RIP Mitch ! We miss you
11,966 Posts
The ADII had some initial problems which have been pretty well worked out now. I had mine replaced at about 6 months for low pressure problems. They sent me a new pump along with a pick up ticket to return the bad pump. I've had the replacement for 2 1/2 years now. I thhought it was having a low pressure problem again about a year ago but it turned out to be the POS oem FPR and the check valve in my Vegistroke manifold. I replumbed everything and fixed the check valve and it has been fine since.

A lot of these issues you see in the google threads ZMANN posted the link for are old or a lot of them are directly related to install issues or other issues that are not a problem with Pure Flow or the ADII.

The ADII is a good system and I am satisfied with mine. There are also other ways to get the job done. Choose the solution that makes the most sense to you.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have had mine for 2 years and about 30K miles with no problems.
I wish I could put a sump in but with a cab & chassis I can not drop my tank. :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
6.0l I have had mine on about a year with 30k on it and I noticed that it is louder and does not kick on right away it hesitates but still works great.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I have had mine for 2 years and about 30K miles with no problems.
I wish I could put a sump in but with a cab & chassis I can not drop my tank. :(
How come you can't drop your tank? I know this may sound naive (but not being the owner of that type of rig, how would you ever change components specific to that tank should something fail?

·
RIP Mitch ! We miss you
11,966 Posts
6.0l I have had mine on about a year with 30k on it and I noticed that it is louder and does not kick on right away it hesitates but still works great.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Yeah the supplied mounting setup is metal on metal sandwiching the frame between two metal plates which makes it very loud. I got rid of that mount and used a 4" rubber waste pipe coupling from Lowes. Cut it so I could open it up and used the plate the pump mounts to then the rubber as an isolator and drilled through the plate and frame and through bolted it. Now there is no metal to metal contact and it runs much much quieter.

·
Registered
809 Posts
How come you can't drop your tank? I know this may sound naive (but not being the owner of that type of rig, how would you ever change components specific to that tank should something fail?
The tank is aft of the rear axle and between the frame.
With the utility body and trailer hitch it would be a major PITA to drop the tank.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yeah the supplied mounting setup is metal on metal sandwiching the frame between two metal plates which makes it very loud. I got rid of that mount and used a 4" rubber waste pipe coupling from Lowes. Cut it so I could open it up and used the plate the pump mounts to then the rubber as an isolator and drilled through the plate and frame and through bolted it. Now there is no metal to metal contact and it runs much much quieter.
Any chance you have a photo of your set up ?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts