Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some airbags on my truck and they are independent. The 2 fill valves are mounted back by the license plate. These were on the truck when I got it.

My buddy pulls a much bigger 5th wheel with his short bed extended cab 2500 duramax and he also has airbags on his truck (he has to or it is about bottomed out) He has the incab switch to fill and deflate them. They are tied together so one switch fills them both at the same time.

I thought that having them tied together was a bad thing? He claims no issues with his setup. But then again he does lots of things I would not even consider doing… To me it seems like if you turn or the truck leans the air will want to go to the side with the least downward pressure and cause the truck to do some strange things. Anyone out there us airbags that are tied together?

My 5th wheel is about 12k loaded and somewhere in the area of 1700 ish pounds on the pin. I also have a 90 gal tank in the bed. Without my airbags inflated, my truck feels very squishy and bounces like crazy. I fill them up to about 40 psi each and the truck feels much better.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I do mine independent of each other. It's better sway control. Like you said, tie together the air can go to the other side when turning. Which is what you're trying to prevent.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It's more important to have them separated if you haul a slide in camper or haul heavy loads in your truck bed because it offers the most sway control.

When you are towing trailers it is not as big of a deal to have them separated because your hitch (where the weight of your trailer is sitting) is centered on the truck, so sway is not as big of a factor.:thumb:

This kit allows you to fill and deflate the bags from your cab but also keeps them isolated:
Firestone Air Compressor - Standard Duty System Air-Rite (Dual Gauge)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like that kit but I dont need the compressor. I already have air and a tank for my horns. I wonder if I can get just the switch and the gauge somewhere?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I have had them tied together on both trucks and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's more important to have them separated if you haul a slide in camper or haul heavy loads in your truck bed because it offers the most sway control.

When you are towing trailers it is not as big of a deal to have them separated because your hitch (where the weight of your trailer is sitting) is centered on the truck, so sway is not as big of a factor.:thumb:
Agreed. I've run an air ride setup with both fed in together. Towing my jeep, I never had a problem, and even with axles piled in the bed, did I ever feel any weight shift.

·
Registered
295 Posts
i plan on individual when I do mine with onboard air. Only thing I want to change is to have another valve to equalize the pressures for both bags so Im not getting uneven wear on the tires.

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
If the bags are tied together it will allow air to escape one bag and move to the other in a corner. In a towing situation you really cant notice anything as there is nothing to really cause the truck to sway. However if you are hauling a load in the back of the truck you will certainly notice a difference. As mentioned a valve between the two is a great way to compromise between the two setups.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts