Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey buddies!
I was reading an article on the AiRAiD system for our 6.0 PSDs. It was impressive, a dyno proven 21.2rwhp and 35rwtq in an 05 superduty, with no other mods mind you. So that's rockin!! But; will I suffer in fuel mileage. I know that with more air comes more fuel. So is this a give and take situation? Or will diesel just win all around? I ask from experience with other vehicles and an engine is an engine so I think principal will reign over all. Thanks for the time

If Jesus drove instead of walked; it'd be the baddest Ford HE could make! :D
-nate

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
You may see an improvement in mpg if you have a light foot. I always try to think that an engine wants to go full throttle all the time and the unpressed accelerator is the biggest restrictor. The next in our case is the intake to the turbo and the exhaust system. If we can free these restrictions up to a certain extent the engine becomes more efficient and is able to produce a better fuel mixture and burn the fuel much better. I would not expect to feel a difference unless you are replacing the exhaust or adding a substantial amount of power. The first thing I added was an AFE stage II kit cause it was the least expensive of the mods I wanted. I did not notice a significant difference till I added a programer. I ended up taking it off cause the engine light was always on and now that I have an exhaust and programer with the stock intake my milage has gone down and the engine seems to work harder. Soon I will be getting the Air Raid kit also. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
I can tell you that the AFE costs much more for one. AFE's big thing is the tubing from the filter to the turbo is huge and flows as much volume as possible. It flowed so much air that the velocity was low on my application and the engine light was on all the time. I have no doubt the volume was there but I couldn't stand the light being on. The AirRade is much more affordable and should do the trich just fine. In addition to drawing incoming air through the core support it also draws are from inbetween the hood and support. I planned on doing most of my mods pretty close to gether time wise which is also why I got the intake first but if you are unable to I would worry about the intake last.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the airaid intake on my 05 excursion and it seems to work fine no engine light but no real noticable change in power it seems to work well with my superchip programer and it was easy to install except that they give you a T-20 hollow torx bit to take on the amss air flow sensor and mine had a broken bit tip in the hollow part so I drilled the nub off the screw and used a normal t-20 bit and they give you new allen screws to replace the others

·
Registered
12 Posts
Air in-Air out

An easy way to think about intake and exhaust modifications is to remember the basics, First think about what your working with... an air pump... in and out and it requires power to suck air in and push exhaust out... with that said there is only so much air volume an engine can move without modifiers (turbos/superchargers). I dont doubt any reasonable # increases by changing the intake on the 6.0 PSD as the filter design is poor. The larger air tube is good as long as its does not drop air velocity to much. The turbo moves a large amount of air in and freeing up the intake helps a great deal but the stock mufflers are designed to muffle the sound and it works... it also robs power as backpressure slows the turbo spooling and requires force to allow exhaust gas flow... the big thing to remember is when spending money have a long term plan, If power adders are not going to be added change the muffler throw on the air intake kit and be happy... if your going to get all that you can first add 4 inch exhaust with a good muffler... STAINLESS ONLY... then air intake...then add your tuner package and enjoy the power and the mileage... PS try breathing through a coffee straw then try it through a milkshake straw.... if that dont work try it again while running up a hill... ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Stiffy did you remove your cat. sence you live here in oregon and don't have to go thru deq? what exhaust did you install?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used a Banks Monster exhaust kit. this kit utilizes the cat convertor and still shows great #s, when I had the cat off I looked through it and there isnt much to it... not like a gas engine convertor.... it sounds great and I love hearing the intake noise as well... I installed a S&B kit and it went on great plus looks and works really well.... It retails at 300.00 or less... the banks monster exhaust is $698.00 retail... not to use this as a sales tool but I am a dealer for both products... along with about everyother manufacture out there... but I really like the install of these and with the exhaust it fits into factory hangers with no rattels or clearance issues

·
Registered
12 Posts
S&B is realitive new company making air intake kits and the use a K&N style filter... The installs are nice, quality is excellent, and they look really sweet...
hmmm discounts???? well I am sure we could work out something, but you'll have do get ahold of me directly as advertised pricing is set by manufacturer.... and I cant price on the internet...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Where are you in oregon? I would like to get the name and nuber of your bussiness. I am in oregon city, west linn area. you can email me direct or plug your company on the forum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Valley RV Center

I am in McMinnville Oregon 1-800-422-5801 ext.259 give me a call anytime if im not there leave a message and I will return the call... I also do alot of work on the side, like installs and other cool stuff... I am ASE certified Mastertech...yadda yadda yadda, but I got some cool tools... :D I will be gone most of the rest of the week doing a show in Albany...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts