Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
S&B is $269 everywhere.
Airaid is between $240 and $280.

Im really looking for the differences in the 2 air filters. The airaid looks like it can flow more air since it takes air from the front OEM location and the top of the air filter box...

Still not sure.

What air filter do you suggest and reasons????

Thank you

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I suggest the S&B and it is really only because they post what their filter both filters and flows at and Airaid does not. I know that the S&B doesn't hold as much dirt as the stock filter does but I don't care, I need all the flow I can get with the turbo that I have and I think S&B does the job just fine. Hope this helps man.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I also recommend the S&B good quality at a good price. I had an air raid on my v10 and I think the S&B is a little better quality. You will definitely hear a difference with a cold air intake, it will really make your motor scream.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about the AIRAID drop in filter 860-341.
S&B does not have a drop in filter.

I found it for $53.

The S&B system is $269 and the AFE is $242.

Is the intake system really worth the extra $200? compaired to the drop in filter for $53.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
S&B intake system ratings.
Airflow Rating: Flows 38.4% Better than the Stock Intake
Efficiency Rating: 99.17% Efficient @ 612 CFM (ISO Course Dust

Airaid intake system ratings.
Flow's over 1406 cfm
21 HP 44 Torque.

Airiad Drop in filter.
nothing...

This is all the info I can find so far to compair the 2 filter brands.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I did an AiRaid drop in, Zoodad, and ditched the front cover off the OEM box. The result + 1~2 mpg. That filter catches a lot of dirt. I live in a sandy/dusty area, 6 years later things are still clean on the front of the turbo.

Sorry I don't have any kool kids numbers to post, but bang per buck, they can keep their cai's, I only need the filter.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I did an AiRaid drop in, Zoodad, and ditched the front cover off the OEM box. The result + 1~2 mpg. That filter catches a lot of dirt. I live in a sandy/dusty area, 6 years later things are still clean on the front of the turbo.

Sorry I don't have any kool kids numbers to post, but bang per buck, they can keep their cai's, I only need the filter.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I've seen a picture of your intake setup and imo that is the best route to go. Why spend $150+ for a piece of plastic that connect to the turbo, the stock plastic get's the job done imo. Drop the airaid filter in, maybe some silicone and spend the money you saved on fuel, jmo.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have run the same Airaid for 8 years on 2 different trucks,(both 04 6.0s) without any problems, dynoed on a stock truck back in 04 the airaid delivered it's claimed horsepower gain, I do have 2 filter elements to make service easier.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Sorry, we're a little late to the party. To answer some of the questions raised:

There are many different intake brands to choose from. What sets Airaid systems apart is overall fit and finish. Everything we build is application-specific and designed specifically for the vehicle. Also, we use a special blend of urethane for our filter casings, while most other filters are constructed of a form of rubber that tends to break down over time. As for the filter material, we offer both an oiled and a dry filter media. They both filter down to 3 microns (independently tested and verified) and flow virtually the same (within about 5% of one another). Really which one is better is a matter of personal preference. I generally recommend an oiled filter in very dusty off-road environments simply because the oiled filter will go longer between cleanings. The filter used with the full intake system flows over 1400 cfm.

Now, as for a full intake system versus a drop-in filter, they're not really designed to do the same things. The drop-in filter improves airflow over the stock filter and is cleanable and reusable (which adds convenience), while the full intake system frees up flow not just at the filter, but also in the rest of the intake system. Our MXP intake box has a large cold air scoop and seals against the underside of the hood to keep engine compartment air away from the filter. The intake tube is designed to further maximize airflow. Think of it as convenience and efficiency improvements with the drop-in filter, and efficiency plus performance with the full intake system. Both are good, it just depends on what's more imortant to you. The MXP Cold Air Intake system for the 6.0L has been dyno-tested to add 21 hp and 44 lb-ft of torque. We have probably more than 50 dyno pulls in our files for this kit, and those numbers are an average, not the best we got on an individual run.

Last but not least, all of our products are backed by a "No Hassle" lifetime warranty and are Made in the USA. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for getting back to me.

Did you do any dyno testing on trucks with performace tunes?
Im sure the power number increase will be more with tunes that add between 25 to 140 hp.

Is there any specific information for the drop in?

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
All of our dyno testing is done between a stock truck and the same stock truck with our intake system. The quality of a tune can definitely skew dyno results so we do not test tuned vehicles. Having said that a good tune can definitely maximize the gains from an intake system.

A drop in filter will not make a significant power increase as you are retaining the factory intake system and filter size. You make pick up a couple of horsepower but that is it as far as power. Other things to consider than the slight bump in power is it is a lifetime washable and reusable filter made in the USA with a no hassle warranty. As with all of our filters they are available in an oiled or a dry version that both have over a 99% filter efficiency in ISO fine dust testing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts