Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accelerated hard to pass another vehicle and began to hear this loud air whooshing sound coming from behind the dash. No loss of power, just the noise. It disappears when I lay off the accelerator. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Boost or exhaust leak would be my first guess.

Reactions: piperca

·
Registered
276 Posts
Boost leak would be my guess. What year is your truck? Later models had a plastic boost tube on the driver's side that is prone to cracking. Early models had a metal boost tube as on the passenger side. Boots on the ends are the failure point there. The noise you describe is exactly the same as when the plastic tube on mine ruptured. Sounded like air rushing under the dash. When the elbow boot on the turbo ruptured it sounded like my radiator fan was on full lock under acceleration. I would start with checking boots or pipe on the driver's side depending on which you have. If you have the plastic pipe, inspect carefully in the accordion section under the air filter. That's where mine cracked, it was hiding in one of the valley's. Hard to find until I removed it and flexed the pipe.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Boost leak would be my guess. What year is your truck?
It's a 2006, so I guess I'll start looking there. I thought there would be a loss of power with such a large boost leak, no?

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I found an exhaust leak on my turbo down pipe that I think is responsible for a loud whistling when above 28 PSI and under heavy load towing. Since the leak is post turbo, I don't see how this would cause a loss of power.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have decided to go ahead and replace the CAC boots, along with replacing the plastic cold side with the metal pipe. I ordered the Riff Raff Diesel boots/clamps and OEM pipe. I noticed the original boots have oil saturation and probably are overdue for replacement. Hopefully this will cure my problem. I'll update the outcome.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE:

Installed the boots and cold side pipe this morning. The original boots were cracked and leaking oil, but didn't have any tears. The cold side plastic pipe was cracked at the intercooler side, between the ribs, on the underside.

Took the truck out for a spin ... HOLY SMOKE! I normally experience some turbo lag, which had been concerning me for some time, but now it is completely gone. My cold starts used to be sluggish for the first couple of miles, but not this morning. I am truly shocked at the improvement. I highly recommend those with later 6.0s get rid of that plastic cold side pipe. I've read about its failure, but this just confirms the claim for me ... plus the metal pipe looks so much nicer under the hood.

I hope this helps others in the same predicament. Now, onto the next project; oil bypass filter.

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
1 Posts
UPDATE:

Installed the boots and cold side pipe this morning. The original boots were cracked and leaking oil, but didn't have any tears. The cold side plastic pipe was cracked at the intercooler side, between the ribs, on the underside.

Took the truck out for a spin ... HOLY SMOKE! I normally experience some turbo lag, which had been concerning me for some time, but now it is completely gone. My cold starts used to be sluggish for the first couple of miles, but not this morning. I am truly shocked at the improvement. I highly recommend those with later 6.0s get rid of that plastic cold side pipe. I've read about its failure, but this just confirms the claim for me ... plus the metal pipe looks so much nicer under the hood.

I hope this helps others in the same predicament. Now, onto the next project; oil bypass filter.
Going to check this today on my 06 PSD with 198K on the clock. Started making this exact sound and hoping it's this easy fix. Thanks for the detailed update! Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts