Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey PS friends. New owner here of an 06 ext cab 6.0l. 140k miles and currently getting studded along with a few other parts replaced. I've come across a lot of videos on something called runaway diesel. It seems like it's pretty rare on newer diesel but have any of you heard of this happening on our 6.0s?

To get to the point, I want to be prepared if this were to ever occur. From what I've been reading, the ONLY surefire way to stop a runaway diesel is to cut off air supply. I've found several vendors who offer what is called positive air shutoff valves that go into the intake. My issue is they cost 500+ and require installation of sensors that I don't want drilled into my motor (rpm). Once the sensor detects over rpm it engages the valve, cutting off airsupply.

Since the price of these electronic valves are out of my price range. I'd like to go manual. They make manuals but they run 200+. If I can't find anything else I might go that route.

What I'm thinking is buying something at homedepot like a brass or PVC irrigation valve. I'm toying around with the idea. PVC is only rated for 140 degrees Fahrenheit so probably not that but you get the idea. Next, clean cut the stock intake tube behind the filter and install the valve inline. And if the runaway were to ever occur, just turn key off, pop the hood, run over and flip the valve. Cost less than 50 bucks. Either that or you have 2 options 1. Run and watch your truck go from $15,000 to $1,500 or 2. Attempt to open the hood, take off the air box, remove airfilter, and throw a beach towel in the intake.

Sound worth doing? Ideas? What diameter is stock air intake tubing?

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
3,450 Posts
You want a flap in the intake port to the engine, not at the turbo -- there is no reason a throttle body flap from a gasser could not be made to fit into the intake elbow -- and use a cable to actuate the flap from the cab

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Hydro. I'm curious, why wouldn't a valve in the air intake be sufficient? I can see how at the intake manifold would be slightly better because it's right before the engine so no air can sneak by. I'm not super mechanically inclined and am trying to keep it super simple/cheap.

Whenever I see a 20 minute how to video it usually takes me 2 hours lol.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Not needed. Only way for a 6.0 to run away is a turbo seal blowing, then that oil being sucked into the engine.
But if you so insist, swap a throttle body from a early 6.0. Ditch the electronics and make it cable operated.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hydro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picked up my truck today from Southern Diesel in Sanford. ARP studs, rebuilt oil cooler, felco gaskets, and a few sensors. Runs great! I asked them while I was there and they told me the same, I shouldn't worry about it happening. I'll probably trash the idea. Thanks for the help though guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts