Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing some work on my 'new to me' 6.0. As I'm finishing it up, I see the k&n filter has rubbed a hole through (might explain why the turbo went south on me). Its a crappy filter setup, basically open air filter to the engine bay so it's pulling in heat.

I know the oem setup is supposed to be just fine but I don't have it. Looking on eBay, they're not cheap either. For just a bit more, I can get an s&b intake setup that looks slick and lools like it would do well. So I think I'm going that direction.

Where I'm stuck is paper vs cotton. I live down a couple miles of dirt road. So I'm concerned about turbo dusting. S&b doesn't come out and say the cotton oiled is a problem in that environment but they say most people go cotton so they can just blow it out. I like the idea of reusable though to save cost.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Is dusting an issue with their oiled filters? Also, I don't have a feel for it yet, how often am I going to be changing these stupid expensive filters if I go cotton?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just realized I probably dropped this in the wrong section. More of a general topic. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I just realized I probably dropped this in the wrong section. More of a general topic. Sorry.
I would go back with the stock box, especially if you drive down dirt road regularly. The stock setup flows plenty unless you're making some pretty big numbers and hold more dirt than an aftermarket "high flow" filter. If you just want something to look cool then that's a different story. Just my opinion based on real world experience.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,570 Posts
I would also vote for a stock intake, if you really want aftermarket get an s&b.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Stock box can hold three pounds of dust. I vote that.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Reactions: letsmow10

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you are driving in dusty conditions I wouldn't go with the oiled filter. When I had my AFE setup I had an oiled filter and it sucked. The thing was never clean and couldn't hardly get it cleaned. Went ahead and got the dry filter setup and it worked so much better. That being said like everyone else. Just go back to stock, but if not that at least go dry filter element

Reactions: Hydro

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. I'm heading to the junkyard today to hopefully find a stock filter box setup cause - holy crap if these people aren't proud of their work. AFE @ $450 is more than 1/2 the cost of a new turbo. If I can't find one, I'll be forced to find a quick alternative (have to get the truck up and running asap). I'm half tempted to try something like the napa 6637 gold filter that a lot of 7.3 guys swapped into their rig. I think this will fit on the k&n tube that is in the truck now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I went ahead and got the S&B setup with the dry filter. I would have done OEM but couldn't get a hold of one fast enough. The old k&n wasn't an option and I needed the truck up and running asap. I know the OEM is good but the S&B seems to be good quality and is working well. I went dry because of the dusty environment I live in (down a couple miles of dirt road) and added one of the filter wraps just to help extend the life of it. I did dork up the plastic cover so am leaving the top open. Haven't seen any negative issues leaving it open.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts