Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright the guy who owned this truck before me put a K&N filter and intake on it, this filter is a PITA! I clean it, and within a month the thing is causing breathing problems again. So the question is. Does anyone know who sells a filter that will fit the intake, that works better than this POS K&N??

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone? please? This is driving me nuts!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seriously? No-one? I can't believe this!

·
Registered
589 Posts
How is it causing breathing problems that quick. They flow more air cause you can basically see through them. Not good for dusty roads and dirt. But if your not driving on roads like that how is it getting that dirty? I have the K&N intake on my truck and have had nothing but good luck and dont care what anybody says it made my truck run better.

·
Premium Member
9,975 Posts
Ford sells the best filter you could ever want on these trucks. I suggest you watch Craig's or Ebay an get an OEM setup back on the motor.

·
Registered
405 Posts
S&B Intake, cleanable filter. Much easier to clean and sounds good under the hood :D

·
Registered
589 Posts
I still have my stock setup sitting in the garage and I would put it back on it. I truly have a noticable difference with my k&n and no problems. I no everyone says the stock one is just fine but why do people hate k&n so much.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When the filter is clean it's fine. The problem is that it doesn't stay clean for any amount of time. I swear to God it's a dirt magnet!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well I agree it looks that way because the dirt is just sticking to the oil you put on the filter but that doesnt mean that its restricting it or the power. It flows so much air to beging with its actually good for it to be dirtier to block out more **** from coming in. I havnt cleaned mine since I put it on about 6 months ago and still looks good.

·
Premium Member
9,975 Posts
The S&B intkae holds only 14% of the total amount of dust/dirt that an OEM filter can hold. The OEM filter is designed to be weather resistant as well and not allowing water to pass through the element. Why else do you think an intake could automatically void warranty work on the turbo?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Well I agree it looks that way because the dirt is just sticking to the oil you put on the filter but that doesnt mean that its restricting it or the power. It flows so much air to beging with its actually good for it to be dirtier to block out more **** from coming in. I havnt cleaned mine since I put it on about 6 months ago and still looks good.
I couldnt disagree more...

My father's 93 F350 with a 7.3 and banks sidewinder turbo had a K&N. It would get dirty within a month and the truck wouldnt build much boost and smoked alot more...clean the air filter and it runs like a champ again. Oil-coated filters are a PITA!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
well im not disagreeing with anyone. And my warrenty is long gone and if I lost my turbo I have enough miles on it anyway Id just go and buy a new bigger one or get it replaced so dont care about that. Ive had one on my 7.3 and now on my 6.0 and having good luck all Im saying knock on wood. I am going to clean it today and see if it actually makes a difference because it is pretty dirty. If it does Il let you guys no.

·
Registered
765 Posts
K&N is crap. A filter is supposed to do just that, filter and still allow enough air flow. Oil filters suck, period.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back to the original question, is there a different brand of FILTER that will fit the K&N INTAKE? I don't mind the intake just the filter element is garbage

·
Registered
843 Posts
Back to the original question, is there a different brand of FILTER that will fit the K&N INTAKE? I don't mind the intake just the filter element is garbage
is this what yours looks like??

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-2546-1

If so, I bet you could measure the pipe that the filter fits over and others could chime in on if theirs would fit or not...if it has the rubber base then I'm sure you could make almost any of em fit if you clamp it good enough...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
is this what yours looks like??

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-2546-1

If so, I bet you could measure the pipe that the filter fits over and others could chime in on if theirs would fit or not...if it has the rubber base then I'm sure you could make almost any of em fit if you clamp it good enough...
Yeah that's it. I just went down and took a good look at the whole thing and the shroud around the whole thing is falling apart too. Maybe I should just replace the whole damn thing. That'll solve all of it.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
If your going to get another A/M filter it might be a good idea to get a spare one, just so you dont have to clean it and throw it right back on...I like to let mine dry as much as possible in between each stage of cleaning & oiling.
It usually takes me about 3-4 days to do mine, I am sure I am the only one who streches it out that much but I like the filter totally free of water and I try to let the oil settle to the point that no matter where I run my finger across it always comes up oil free.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Look here, this is what I got. I think this is what your looking for.

S&B Filters

1 - 20 of 21 Posts