Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a 03 6.0 with an ad2. I've read about the wiring harness they send not being big enough. After driving around town for less than 10 minutes the wire/motor would be extremely hot (175*).

I did a quick search for some harnesses online and here and didn't see anything I liked, so I went to the hardware store and picked up some 10awg wire and a 12volt spst relay (same one you can get from autozone)

I installed the new power wire and grounded the pump at the frame instead of running a wire to the battery. I used the ad2 harness to bring on the relay.

With the ad2 harness I would see 60-65psi. Started the truck with the new harness and immediately the pressure went to 90psi. I adjusted the regulator back to 65psi and went for a ride. 15 minutes or driving around town and pump temp went down to 125* with no drop in psi when driving normal. If I punch it it drops for a split second and comes right back up, even at wot.

For $20~ and some spade connectors I made a new power system for the ad2 that will add life to the pump. Easy to do, and a must for anyone running an ad2.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics

EDIT: When going from supplied to custom harness, you will see a big jump in pressure. After installing new wire, make sure you turn down your regulator a full turn (counter clock wise) to keep from over pressuring your pump/fuel system. I did this mod on a buddy's truck and saw over 100psi after start up!!

Where i spliced in the new wire

where i cut off plug

new ground to frame instead of to battery

i cut the red wire coming from the AD2 relay and spliced in the white wire. the white wire goes to the relay to bring on the pump

Relay. i kept it simple (no screws or anything) so if the relay ever crapped out it would be easy to change. i will keep an extra relay if it ever quits on the side of the road. i can change it in 5 minutes with a roll of electrical tape.lol

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
That's awesome man. Glad to hear you got it working much better now. I think I am going to make my own 10ga harness to replace the one that came for my AD150. I know that it is a low pressure pump but I think it could still stand to benefit from a better wiring harness.

Thanks for the info. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's awesome man. Glad to hear you got it working much better now. I think I am going to make my own 10ga harness to replace the one that came for my AD150. I know that it is a low pressure pump but I think it could still stand to benefit from a better wiring harness.

Thanks for the info. :thumb:
Your welcome!

Air dog has a lot of bad reviews about pumps failing and being loud. It's no wonder why their pumps are failing so soon with the crap they send.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Good to see you finally figured it out Derek! :thumb: I knew it needed to be rewired, but I'm no expert at wiring. It's crazy to see what big of a difference it made with just upgraded wiring!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to see you finally figured it out Derek! :thumb: I knew it needed to be rewired, but I'm no expert at wiring. It's crazy to see what big of a difference it made with just upgraded wiring!
Yeah. I expected it to run cooler, but I didn't think the pressure would change so much

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I recently bought a 03 6.0 with an ad2. I've read about the wiring harness they send not being big enough. After driving around town for less than 10 minutes the wire/motor would be extremely hot (175*).

I did a quick search for some harnesses online and here and didn't see anything I liked, so I went to the hardware store and picked up some 10awg wire and a 12volt spst relay (same one you can get from autozone)

I installed the new power wire and grounded the pump at the frame instead of running a wire to the battery. I used the ad2 harness to bring on the relay.

With the ad2 harness I would see 60-65psi. Started the truck with the new harness and immediately the pressure went to 90psi. I adjusted the regulator back to 65psi and went for a ride. 15 minutes or driving around town and pump temp went down to 125* with no drop in psi when driving normal. If I punch it it drops for a split second and comes right back up, even at wot.

For $20~ and some spade connectors I made a new power system for the ad2 that will add life to the pump. Easy to do, and a must for anyone running an ad2.
:worthless[1]:

C'mon, lets see pics of the new harness!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
Wondering if you bothered to upgrade the short section of wiring coming out of the pump from the braided copper connectors for the brushes? I'm thinking in hindsight I should have done that when I put my own wiring in with my AD2 install. Although I've never had any problems in over five years.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wondering if you bothered to upgrade the short section of wiring coming out of the pump from the braided copper connectors for the brushes? I'm thinking in hindsight I should have done that when I put my own wiring in with my AD2 install. Although I've never had any problems in over five years.
No I didn't. I cut the plug from the motor and buttspliced the new wire in. Pics up in a few.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Added pictures to original post:thumb:

its not much of a harness, but it gets the job done!

i still need the go back and put sleeve on the wire

·
Registered
809 Posts
Great info and wright up.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
thats very weard i drove mine for 2 hours today and checked the wires and they where cold no warmth at all. if i do the 10 gauge wire i think it should be done all the way because you still have the bottle neck at each end. and wire nuts i would think would only make it worse! it should be solderd. just sayin

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
thats very weard i drove mine for 2 hours today and checked the wires and they where cold no warmth at all. if i do the 10 gauge wire i think it should be done all the way because you still have the bottle neck at each end. and wire nuts i would think would only make it worse! it should be solderd. just sayin
The wire nut is only bringing the relay on (less than 1 amp). At the motor I used crimp connectors. It is 10g all the way from the battery to the motor.

I also have 190s, but I doubt that has much to do with it.

Soldering would be a good idea, I'll probably do that this weekend if I get time. Thanks for the input:thumb:

·
Registered
670 Posts
When I built my harness I used a much larger relay with screw terminals 75amp constant duty and pulled my motor apart to connect to the brushes. Everything was soldered and the improvement was incredible. Much quieter pump and wires that don't get hot! The 10awg harness is a must as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I built my harness I used a much larger relay with screw terminals 75amp constant duty and pulled my motor apart to connect to the brushes. Everything was soldered and the improvement was incredible. Much quieter pump and wires that don't get hot! The 10awg harness is a must as far as I'm concerned.
Which relay did you use?

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
P
Going to upgrade the wiring on a buds truck but wondering where a person can get the soft braided copper that connects to the brushes as he wants that doubled up without binding the brushes. Suppose I could just order replacement brushes from Pure Flow and cut them off those but it may be better to put in something heavier but not too heavy as those brush springs are a little on the light side. Just as a side note, don't re-install the pump cover with the wires pointing down as when the brushes wear over time the fine metal dust that accumulates can cause a short. I also seal the cover with a thin layer of dielectric grease. If you count the hours we put into doing wiring mods and adding other parts to the AD2's on our trucks I'm sure these fuel systems can be valued at well over $1,500.00 LOL

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Wouldn't changing the wiring on the brushes void the lifetime warranty?

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Wouldn't changing the wiring on the brushes void the lifetime warranty?
Even if you do, you are WAY better off. Derek bought my old 6.0L, and the AirDog went through three pumps and one regulator. Even after me disassembling the AirDog over 10+ times and changing out different parts, it never really ran 100%. But it's because the wiring wasn't supplying enough voltage, and was destroying my pumps slowly. Derek rewired it (as you can see in this thread) and it works like a charm. Trust me, you're way better off rewiring it and possibly voiding your warranty. The warranty doesn't mean crap when you're just replacing pump after pump.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts