Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 96 psd and my girlfriend recently took it for a trip. She turned on the ac which has been working perfectly and smelled a burning smell instantly. She turned it off and it went away. She didn't turn it on again. I fired up the truck and the pump spins fine. Once I turn on the ac, I can hear it load up. The belt is still spinning but I can tell and smell it not working properly. Any ideas on the best place to buy a new pump and how to replace it and then recharge the system? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I, personally have had the best luck harvesting a good OEM pump from a junk yard. My criteria is to find a clean vehicle that has been wacked hard. In other words, it's in the yard because it was wrecked not neglected. My sucess rate has been 100% with these. The rebuilt ones from the zone and other parts houses... not so much.

I do refrigeration for a living. The most neglected part of refrigeration work is the evacuation of the system. Most guys just pull a quick and dirty vacuum of an hour or so. I like to start the pump and pull a vacuum as long as I can, quite often, over night. That gets the system super dry and all of the noncondensibles out.

A good reputable source here in Phoenix is an outfit called Aapak. A great source for parts and stuff for automotive a/c stuff.

Good luck.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts