Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The air condition control unit has a mind of its own. It works when it wants to. The whole unit is dead so it is a power supply issue. Anyone have any ideas. Its 95 degrees and it sucks without air. thanks

·
Registered
435 Posts
The whole unit as in the control panel, no heat, Defrost, A/C or Fan? Or the compressor is dead?

·
Registered
259 Posts
don't know what year or model of truck you have...do you have the manual(dial) controls or EATC(electronic)?

here's a test procedure for the 2004 EATC control unit...

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module Self-Test

The EATC module self-test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. A scan tool must be used to retrieve these concerns.
The EATC module self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display hard diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) in addition to intermittent diagnostic trouble codes for concerns that occur during system operation. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4°-32°C (40-90°F) when performing the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false in-car temperature sensor DTCs will be displayed.
The self-test can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated.
To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed.
If any DTCs appear during the self-test, follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION for each DTC given.
If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Improper Operation.
To exit self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, push the blue (cooler temperature) button. The control will exit self-test, retain all intermittent DTCs and then turn OFF (display blank).
To exit self-test and clear all DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The vacuum fluorescent display window will show 888 and all function symbols for one second. Then, the EATC control assembly will turn OFF (display blank) and all DTCs will be cleared.
Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF).
Intermittent DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent condition occurs.

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module — Retrieve Continuous DTCs

The EATC module will retrieve only continuous (intermittent) DTCs when carrying out this procedure.

Retrieval of continuous DTCs can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when retrieving continuous DTCs.
To retrieve continuous DTCs press the OFF and PANEL buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within two seconds. All vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no continuous DTCs present. Continuous DTCs are indicated by the presence of the degrees Celsius symbol (ºC) on the EATC module display. Record all DTCs displayed.
If any DTCs appear, carry out the diagnostic procedure. Refer to the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code Index and follow the ACTION for each DTC given.
If a condition exists but no DTCs appear, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation.
To exit and retain all continuous DTCs, press any button except DEFROST. The EATC module will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and retain all continuous DTCs.
To exit and clear all continuous DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The EATC module will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and all continuous DTCs will be cleared.
Always exit the procedure before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Once the procedure is exited the ignition switch must remain ON for at least 30 seconds to allow the temperature blend door actuators to automatically recalibrate.
Continuous DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent fault occurs.

try to be more specific as to what the problem is...does the blower run? check for airflow at the defrost vents when turned on...this may indicate a vacuum problem..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about that I have an 05 with the electric control unit. I just came in from my truck now the unit works. When it happens the whole unit is dead no power at all. It only happens when I shut the truck down and start it back up it has never just shut off when the truck was running. I took it to ford about this before and they said they took care of it, and that was last year. This issue has been going on for a few months now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 05 does that, I have found that turning the lights on and off bring the ac controls back on. I took it in 3 times for this problem and always by the time the tech got to it, it worked fine and passed diagnostics.

Bill

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so when the unit goes off you turn your lights on the off again? I will have to try it sometime.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yup I just turn the lights on and off, it takes about 2 times for the A/C head to power back on and all is good till it does it again.

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same problem

My 05 does that, I have found that turning the lights on and off bring the ac controls back on. I took it in 3 times for this problem and always by the time the tech got to it, it worked fine and passed diagnostics.

Bill
I have a 2003 Excursion Diesel and just experienced the same problem! The EATC was working fine until I turned the truck off yesterday afternoon. When restarting it I turned the EATC panel off and after starting the truck I attempted to turn the A/C panel on which was totally unresponsive! After checking other Ford EATC Diagnostics on the web, I decided to check the forum and found your post. I just went outside flicked the lights on and off a few times and lo and behold the EATC Display became alive again! Thanks! But do you have any idea what causes that? I am certain that the Ford Dealer will tell me I am nuts, but the truth is, it worked!
Thanks again: Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spoke to Ford Dealer Service Rep

He said that he had never heard of "such a thing", but then laughed and said if it worked, I guess you do not need your appointment for tomorrow. He did say that he thought that on the newer models that somehow the Light Module was connected to the EATC module and that flicking the lights on 2 or 3 times could possibly reset the EATC Display Panel. Jeff

·
Registered
229 Posts
WOW! I printed out the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module Self-Test from above then walked out to my truck to follow it. I figgured what the heck I'll try the headlight trick first.... Low and Behold the A/C came on! Wadietz, My hat is off to you man! I owe you one. Its 103 here and the A/C hasn't worked for 3 days.

·
Registered
152 Posts
dads truck did that yesterday when he was on his way to work. so he calls me to come out to fix it, so i do out there with some fuses, and i started it and it worked fine...so i called him a crazy and was done with that. now i know this is a common problem i might have to apologize to dad:doh:.

·
haters gonna hate 24/7.
3,801 Posts
:popcorn2:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Is there a self test for the 06 ? finally got the self test to work,nothing showed up, after test was done everything lit up except numbers were -188E not 888?

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have a 2004 F250 and the blower is working fine, but it does not seem to be pushing any cold air out whatsoever. It worked fine last week. Any suggestions for me?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts