Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in chicago, and it tend sto snow a lot here, and people get stuck. so I want to do some under the table recovery stuff since I have a 4x4 97 off road pkg truck with a class 5 reciver already.

I do a lot of street driving, and it will se a lot of snow use. I plan on doing 16x8" rims and was wondering what 285/75/16 you guys have had good luck with.

I need it to have pretty good wear, has to look good, has to grip good in snow, and occasional mud situations, and noise is not a real big issue, but quiet tires are always nice.

I have some ideas.

Yokohama Geolander MT's
BFG Mud Terrain KM2's
Mickey Thompson Baja Claw's

I am open to any suggestions, or reviews of the above tires, and if you have had good luck with other ones, post em up!!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
In snow and ice the more siping the better. The tires you listed have virtually no siping. Siping are those little slits in the tread blocks.

Consider the new Goodyear Duratrack - its mountain snowflake listed - has generous siping and an agressive AT design. Should do very well.

Most AT's do well in snow.

Consider also the Kumho AT KL-71 or something like that - I dont remember the actual designation - not the MT - the AT though. I have the AT on my truck and in snow its like its on tracks! Not for crap for hauling heavy or towing but as a daily driver - works wonderfully. Looks good too. Oh - and not that expensive. And the tire size/rim - you will be fine - a 285 on a 16x8 is just right.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The new dunlop rover mt maxx traction should do well also. It is competing to the new goodyear duratrac

1 - 3 of 3 Posts