Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious on everyone's thoughts. Theres a lot of new aftermarket head units with extra features and interface capabilities. Trying to decide whether I go with a factory head unit from infotainment (It wont let me post the link.. I need more post counts) or an high quality aftermarket head unit. What do you guys think these days?

Thanks

mark

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DVD, bluetooth, backup camera - and hopefully a cargo cam if I can figure that out. Ill probably upgrade the speakers as well a little.

·
Administrator
21,600 Posts
with all that I would go aftermarket... its best to go into a shop that has a demo wall and find the operating system you like because those features are pretty standard.

Pioneer has a spiffy AppRadio you might like.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I'll put my 2 cents, I was thinking of upgrading my 2011 F450 Lariat to the factory nav system, then audio control or alpine digital output converter, some nice amps and upgrade all speakers. Im a huge aftermarket audio guy. I just like the ford factory system. Or I would do a droid tablet custom install. I've seen one in person, galaxy tab rooted with some amazing audio software. Looked OEM, it was really sweet. My old powerstroke had all JL Audio speakers and amps, with pioneer nav flip out. That baby rocked. I think keeping the newer truck with factory integrated look with nice everything else is a great option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,600 Posts
Im a huge aftermarket audio guy.
This is why I asked what the intentions were... I think ALL head units are lacking these days.

What really needs to happen is a dumb radio with an interface that can mirror a device 1 for 1.

NOT an "app" to link them, but an actual mirror.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I by far just use my phone for music, mostly pandora. Sometimes my itunes, but never the radio. Navigation is always done on my iphone.. so mirroring would be helpful. I like the idea of the aftermarket 7 inch screen too vs the smaller stock navi screen size.

·
Administrator
21,600 Posts
Yea the 7 is nice, I have the 8" alpine because Im compensating :look:

Buy a double din with an operating system you like and DO NOT spring for the nav... just a waste of money.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Look this, you can do anything you want. I ordered one for my vw hot rod because it has a standalone ecu and other things. You could run Windows, but would recommend a Linux style O.S.

·
Administrator
21,600 Posts
Your Nerd game is solid sir.

Im not knocking it at all... but its not a consumer level plug and play product.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea the 7 is nice, I have the 8" alpine because Im compensating :look:

Buy a double din with an operating system you like and DO NOT spring for the nav... just a waste of money.

8"?? How did you get that to fit? Or does the newer dash fit the larger screen?

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Heavy, it's really not that hard. The internet is amazing, im sure after a couple days of searching we could find a file that would perform the way we wanted it to. Most people can do this, I didn't think about it for my truck until after my post. How many of you can install apps on your phone? This is not much harder, however this electronic stuff and wiring does come second nature to me. After I receive mine, I'll play with it and re post updates.

·
Administrator
21,600 Posts
8"?? How did you get that to fit? Or does the newer dash fit the larger screen?
:rofl: thats what she asked... :look:

An 8" will just barely fit in a double din dash, Ive done it on the older style many times.

·
Administrator
21,600 Posts
Heavy, it's really not that hard. The internet is amazing, im sure after a couple days of searching we could find a file that would perform the way we wanted it to. Most people can do this, I didn't think about it for my truck until after my post. How many of you can install apps on your phone? This is not much harder, however this electronic stuff and wiring does come second nature to me. After I receive mine, I'll play with it and re post updates.

I hear ya 200%, I think that would be an awesome "build thread"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well now you did it.. I want an 8 inch display. Looks like Alpine is the only one available (Alpine X108U).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Or are there any systems/links out there that I can use to send the EGT data feed to display on a head unit through an auxiliary video input? Im trying to avoid putting an additional screen in my truck, and was hoping to utilize one of the video inputs for the monitoring option. Id only really monitor it when towing.

Only thing Ive found are rumors of the ezlink working to do this... but at that point, Id probably just use my phone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts