Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would assume this is one of what will soon be many aftermarket mounts that will be available to mount a winch in a similar fashion as the factory winch. You're looking at maybe $150 worth of plate and some cost to have the parts laser cut. I can appreciate the engineering time it took to develop this, but wow, this is expensive for what you're getting. I would expect a kit like this to be more like $300 - $400.

I've been doing hardcore offroading for 20+ years and have had a lot of experience with many of the winches on the market. I'll say that not everybody needs a Warn winch that's $1500 - $2000. For the people that plan to rarely use it (pulling the occasional car out of the ditch, dragging a tree around the yard, etc.), any one of the $600-ish 12,000# winches available would work fine. If you're using your winch on a regular basis or in critical applications, then it makes sense to pay for premium quality.

I'm looking forward to putting a winch on my truck, but will hold off for a while hoping for a kit like this that costs less. Or I'll make one myself if nothing is available that I see is a fair price.

Administrator
the hardest pill to swallow is you have to weld it yourself.

I have warn hideaway on my 06 with a weekend warrior winch, it works great for me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the hardest pill to swallow is you have to weld it yourself.

I have warn hideaway on my 06 with a weekend warrior winch, it works great for me.
Everybody's situation is different. I have welding skills and a very nice welding machine in my garage, but not enough projects to keep me busy. This thing is simple to weld, especially because it's made of p&o steel. I'd much rather weld it myself then pay extra money for labor and shipping to have somebody else weld it. I wish there were more products available in weld it yourself kit.

Registered
Glad kits are coming out, I've got a warn zeon platinum 10S sitting in my garage floor that I pulled off my truck before listing it for sale. I'd rather use it than order a truck with one. Got a 8274 on my land cruiser as well so I really don't need a 3rd one...lol The Apex is a beast, if it was out at the time I bought my zeon I probably would have bought it. For the price I could have bought 3 to 4 for the price of mine... A buddy has one on his trail rig, I've been really impressed with it. The line speed on my 8274 beats everything but his Apex did as good if not better than the zeon for a fraction of the price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts