Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a "new to me" '06 6.0. I wanted to change the oil so I know I'm starting fresh. After spending some time in this site, I went to the dealership like a good boy and paid my $30 for an oil filter. Got home, drained the oil, pulled the cap off the oil filter and the filters don't match. The one that was in there already was longer than the Ford one. The cap says "NAPA GOLD DO NOT REUSE CAP".

So I put the new filter in anyway, but now I'm afraid to start it up because I'm afraid it's not going to be filtering the oil.

Should I buy a new OEM cap? How much does that cost? Help?

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
You need to buy a new oil filter cap, and the only filters that should be used are the Motorcraft ones. The cap on the truck will not seat the filter correctly. Cost should be minimal, but I wouldn't run the truck until the right cap is there.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
OEM cap is around $30 from dealer.

A billet aluminum cap from NUC Motorsports is $75+
http://www.nucmotorsports.com/parts.html

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Just bought a "new to me" '06 6.0. I wanted to change the oil so I know I'm starting fresh. After spending some time in this site, I went to the dealership like a good boy and paid my $30 for an oil filter. Got home, drained the oil, pulled the cap off the oil filter and the filters don't match. The one that was in there already was longer than the Ford one. The cap says "NAPA GOLD DO NOT REUSE CAP".

So I put the new filter in anyway, but now I'm afraid to start it up because I'm afraid it's not going to be filtering the oil.

Should I buy a new OEM cap? How much does that cost? Help?
Go NOW to the dealer and get a new cap!! If you put the FORD oil filter in the aftermarket cap the oil filter housing is draining all the time and may actually be bypassing the oil filter completely!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Went to the dealer and got the new cap. Glad I didn't fire it up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts