Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the search for some after market intercooler pipes for my 2004.. i found the banks with the high flow intake and cold side intercooler for $399!! seems a bit much for me.. I cant seem to find the hot side though unless i buy the whole techncooler kit from banks for 1200...... what are my options out there??

thanks

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Stop searching, the real air flow restriction is the intake manifold and heads. You won't gain any HP with a elbow.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really?? I would agree with the cold side not being restrictive but that hot side stock pipe is very suspicious with that sweet taco shape it has in the middle... I am not looking for seat in the pants feel thats why I thought the banks elbow and cold side pipe for 399 was a bit much.. but a free flowing hot side with new boots and turbo back exhaust with deletes would give me more bank for my buck.. correct?

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
really?? I would agree with the cold side not being restrictive but that hot side stock pipe is very suspicious with that sweet taco shape it has in the middle... I am not looking for seat in the pants feel thats why I thought the banks elbow and cold side pipe for 399 was a bit much.. but a free flowing hot side with new boots and turbo back exhaust with deletes would give me more bank for my buck.. correct?
I'm assuming you have dual alternators, the hot side with the "sweet taco" shape was for the dual alternator, you can look in the salvage yards for a single alternator model. It's not going to give you any real noticeable gain.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I put the single alt pipe on my truck, lost about 1-2psi (Which is good). I got mine from a buddy who was parting out a 6.0. I wouldn't bother buying an aftermarket set, just get an inexpensive stocker. I don't know why on earth Ford went through all the trouble of a new part, new part number, and all of that, when the single alt one fits without issues.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put the single alt pipe on my truck, lost about 1-2psi (Which is good). I got mine from a buddy who was parting out a 6.0. I wouldn't bother buying an aftermarket set, just get an inexpensive stocker. I don't know why on earth Ford went through all the trouble of a new part, new part number, and all of that, when the single alt one fits without issues.

so a single alt hot air pipe from any year will fit ok with no issues? I figured I wouldnt get much out of it, thats why I am staying away from the banks kit.. every little bit helps though..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts