Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've heard that the PowerStroke really responds to having an aftermarket air intake system. But I've also heard from a mechanic that he is always removing them from engines because they do more harm than good. I don't need any more oomph from my 6.0, bu I would like to see if I could bump up the mileage. Will a K&N or Airade system help, or hurt, or just suck money out of my wallet with no effect?

Thanks,

Joseph

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
im more of a 7.3 guy, but from what ive heard, the stock setup for the 6.0 is good up to something like 500 hp? I wouldnt quote me, but i wanna say thats what the deal is. Someone on here will chime in and know for sure tho!

·
back to business
3,551 Posts
Stock filter flows plenty good and filters GREAT!

If you do change it up, do NOT do K&N.!!!!! I'd suggest AFE or S&B, if you change from stock.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
If you do change it up, do NOT do K&N.!!!!!/QUOTE]

Are you speaking from personal experience or just hear say. Like most talk of this I hear it is just "well I heard" stories.:dunno: I have ran a K&N in the last four Strokes (2 7.3's and 2 6.0's) and never had a problem.:thumb: I also have 3 other buddy's that swear by K&N and never a problem. Reminds me of tons of guys here trashing Edge products with nothing to back it up. I've also ran them with no problem, however I will say my SCT is better though.:thumb:

·
Registered
776 Posts
I pull hard with my truck and never changed the filter for the last 2 years, I checked it this spring and it looks like new except a few flies and I have a modified opening in the grill. I also have the Hypertech E-Con and its great for my truck pulling my trailer. So far the coolng fan has not kicked in with highest water temp at 206F. Here no one surely brags these Hypertech but they are safe and 50 States approved while not having it restricted to racing. The filter on the 6.0 is the best in the industry, If I was above 500HP I wound just add one more for 1000HP. 2 for twice the the power.

2,850 Posts
Another option you have is to get a drop in filter that will work with the stock system. The nice thing about that is that the filter can be cleaned multiple times unlike the stock filter which is once and done. AFE makes a good filter that I run in my truck.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I run the AFE in mine. But, the OEM in OBS trucks sucks big time and had to be replaced. In your case, (6.0) I would just run it and start saving up for head studs. I have heard they can get a little rubbery.

·
back to business
3,551 Posts
Are you speaking from personal experience or just hear say.
Both :wink[3]:

Of course I've heard / read all the bad things people say about K&N. That alone would be enough to make me look else where, why risk it.

I have a little personal experiance too. I had a K&N intake on a 96' stroker, I ended up doing a DIY intake (tymar) after I noticed very fine dust / stuff getting past the filter. I cleaned everything real good, did the tymar and never noticed it again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts