Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too many crappy reviews online. My 7.3 almost made me buy 2 new batteries for no reason! The old clamps were so caked with lead and stretched out they barley work! Anyway any help would be great!

·
Premium Member
8,291 Posts
Cables are important and, after 20yrs or so, might need replacement of both the ends and the cable itself. If you are unable to "build" them yourself (you need a Serious crimper) you can buy better than the stock ones (especially the Ends) but they're Not Cheap!

Battery Cables for Ford F250, F350 & Excursion with Diesel

If you are able to build them, you can do a really nice job (crimped, soldered, sealed w/glued heatshrink) by using the dimensions in that link (put Ring Terminals on all ends) and get these "Military" Type ends.

Military Battery Terminals - 610825902733

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the recommendation! Those look legit. Unfortunately as times are uncertain I’m gonna roll with the old ones but I’ll keep these in mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
I was able to order oem negative cables from riffraff but the 10ft positive is not made anymore. I got my positive from custom battery cables.

I would HIGHLY encourage you to replace the cables and ends when your budget comes. Also you can order military terminal ends for very cheap on custombattery cables website. Make sure to tell them you want two negatives or two positives. The regular kits come with one negative and one positive etc

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ll add it to the wishlist! Just glad I didn’t go out and buy two new batteries for nothing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
My local big truck store makes battery cables, also the NAPA and O'Reilly store

·
Registered
817 Posts
My local big truck store makes battery cables, also the NAPA and O'Reilly store
BIG TRUCK STORE.....YES.....

NAPA AND O'REILLYS.....QUESTIONABLE.....:unsure:

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
All those do good work in my area, maybe not so much in other places

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to know. I’ll get around to it eventually! Never thought I’d be missing driving my box truck around the 5 boroughs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
find a commercial diesel truck repair shop in your area. they have the parts and equipment to crimp new clamps on the cables for you.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I had same issues with my early 99. I bought military battery terminals and just reused all of the cabling. I made all of the ends myself and soldered them. Because of the blowtorch and leaded solder I had to buy my total cost was like 40$

1 - 11 of 11 Posts