Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 F350 6.0 power stroke 180k miles.....

Truck was running like a top a few months ago started to have problems seemed when exiting freeway it would randomly die. Problem progressed and put truck aside and started repairs. Repairs already completed rebuilt HPOP system with sinister diesel HPOP rebuild kit. Still had issues since cranking engine continually starter was replaced (why they have such a tiny starter blows my mind) batteries are only three months old. But this did not solve problem.

Was cranking strong and readings off scangauge where within reason but still would not crank over. Was still getting injector clatter when turning key on and let run its course. Did not have this problem until just recently after seeing faulty melted wires on injector harness I decided to get a new injector harness OEM from Ford. Again truck has not started for over two months and had never had this injector issue not engaging until replacement of old harness. I have unplugged replugged checked connectors and verified they are fully connecting onto ficm. After install now I get no injector clatter.

How can I verify that the harness is bad if it is? What exactly is the power sequence to allow injectors to at that point engage? Have checked relays fuses swapped out and still nothing. Just want to verify before I take harness back to ford to be told it's a good harness.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Depending on the reason your original harness melted, like a shorted injector coil, putting in a new one may have screwed that one too, or fried part of the FICM as well.

You could check continuity pin to pin of the harness, and for short in the harness between pins and as well to the shielding ground.

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
First thing is get ForScan setup and running on your truck -- Scangauge is OK for monitor, but not for troubleshooting or reading codes
What are the codes, if any?

Second, Look for damaged terminals in the FICM connectors -- bent pins or pushed back terminals

Third check the ohms at the FICM connectors for the injectors (use a proper size probe so you do not create damage) -- leave the rest of the harness alone, unless one of the tests fails -- if so, then disconnect at the injector connectors and test again at the FICM connector

Blue Product Rectangle Font Parallel Computer Blue Rectangle Azure Font Rectangle Product Blue Font Screenshot

Reactions: TheLinconlGreen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First thing is get ForScan setup and running on your truck -- Scangauge is OK for monitor, but not for troubleshooting or reading codes
What are the codes, if any?

Second, Look for damaged terminals in the FICM connectors -- bent pins or pushed back terminals

Third check the ohms at the FICM connectors for the injectors (use a proper size probe so you do not create damage) -- leave the rest of the harness alone, unless one of the tests fails -- if so, then disconnect at the injector connectors and test again at the FICM connector

View attachment 777821 View attachment 777822 View attachment 777823
Depending on the reason your original harness melted, like a shorted injector coil, putting in a new one may have screwed that one too, or fried part of the FICM as well.

You could check continuity pin to pin of the harness, and for short in the harness between pins and as well to the shielding ground.
Wires melted not from a short but from general area of harness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ford is going to take harness back just have to find another one they are on back order. Not a single code has pulled up that I seen but I do not have a good code reader just the scan gauge which is better than nothing. Already have a bunch into truck when possible will pick up a better code reader.

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Ford is going to take harness back just have to find another one they are on back order. Not a single code has pulled up that I seen but I do not have a good code reader just the scan gauge which is better than nothing. Already have a bunch into truck when possible will pick up a better code reader.
ForScan and the BAFX reader

·
Administrator
32,487 Posts
ahh autozone remans are pretty poor
I have had to disasemble some of their " gold remans " to swap marine cases onto and lets say they just replace what is broken and polish it up

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I used to get starters at autozone for my truck, I would always get the lifetime one and it would last no longer that 6 months...tops. When I moved here they had no autozone but did have an orielly’s. Went through a couple of theirs in a years time. It ended up going out on me close to a Napa so I got their lifetime one and it’s lasted so far 7 years. Back then I took my orielly one back and they gave me another lifetime one. It still sits on the shelf in the napa box that the one I’m using came out of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts