Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the afe stage ll. just wondering what you guys think about it? Are they crap filters like the k&n. should I change the filter to the 6637 or not? Or just leave it

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
298 Posts
6637 all the way. I had a banks ram air "best cai on the market" and then switched to the 6637. And I love it. Wish I did it sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why did you switch. Did you just change the filter or the setup

·
Registered
298 Posts
I changed the whole setup. I used a 4" down pipe I had laying around. And ordered the filter off of riffraff. I changed it cuz when I accelerated it felt so sluggish. Then when I changed it was a whole new beast. Plus I did the zoodad mod. Real big difference. It's worth doing. Plus it's cheap as sh**

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am just worried that the afe filter is going to dust my turbo and motor

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
They are supposed to be good, I have had one on my 00 for 5 years but it failed recently. My guess is the sock I had on it clogged but it didn't look that bad. The one I am running is a stage II with the PG7 oiled filter. I may eventually replace it with a dry filter.

·
Registered
180 Posts
6637 is great. Price and performance are both right on par. But the best filter available is the AIS.

·
Northwest Stroker
212 Posts
What they said. I have the stage I with no probs. From what I have read and read and read on here prior, there is no real huge significant benefit to the stage II. I clean it every oil change and check it every fill up. I believe K&N is the only filter you have to worry about when it comes to dusting. I won't switch because I already spent the money on a good filter, switching to the 6637 defeats the purpose of going cheap. If I could do it over again, I would go with the cheaper. Plus having that big a$$ filter just looks cool

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
AFE is fine on these... a step above a 6637.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think for now I will keep the afe. Of coarse the 6637 would have been cheaper. I guess some things are not better just cause they cost more. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I used to have AEM dry flow filter. I got rid of them and got 6637. Love it!

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
Nothing will out flow and out clean a Donaldson Filter period...I see many dusted intake tracks and turbos from using all other filters..even those that were 'cleaned" properly.

Only other filter I would ever use is a AIS, have one on my excursion with a 38r as I couldn't stand the noise with the tymar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts