Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking of getting an afe cold air intake for my 97 f-250 7.3 psd i already have the K&N stock replacement filter i have been told the AFE will help with EGT and that is what i want but my real question is how much will it really help for $350.00 is it even worth it? i pull a 33' toy hauler over the mountain pass aboyt 4-5 times a year and that is when it gets its workout. thanks any one who has info it is much appriciated

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
I'm honestly not quite sure about how much the AFE intake will help out as far as lowering EGT's... but exhaust will help out a lot. You can buy a good 4" aluminized exhaust system for $350, and that'd do more to lower EGTs than intake, I would imagine.

·
Banned
920 Posts
It'll help lower EGTS over a DIY 6637 filter & will give you about 3-4 psi more on boost

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Creative...you are thinking the same way i am how much better? and how much will it reduce my EGT? 50degrees? not worth it, 200degrees now i will probably take a harder look. 300degrees SOLD!!
I just dont want to spend the $350.00 and really not gain anything but emptying my wallet!!!

·
Banned
920 Posts
Afe filters are cotton gause and allow more air through bjt they're a lot diffrent then the kn filters, they have 5 or 7 layers of gause combined diffrently so dirt won't pass. The 6637 is a paper element in inporoves airfllw over stock and maybe your way to go if you don't want the 350 price tag.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The cold air intake won't lower EGT's as much as the exhaust will. If you already have the exhaust, the intake will help the motor run more efficiently and help produce more power and torque. The 6.0L leaves a ton of torque and horsepower on the table so an intake combined with an exhaust will maximize the efficiency of the motor so you can get up to speed quicker and lift earlier so you can manage the EGT's at a much more effective level...Jason from aFe Power.

·
Banned
920 Posts
Jason this is a 94-97 PSD spot lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replying to an old message, just did injector repair on my 1997 7.3, I added a homemade cold air intake. My boost is outstanding, at 70 mph my truck kicks down and roars to 85. My mods are simple rebuilt transmission. New o rings and cleaned injectors, cold air intake. Yes see a loss in fuel but like anything if you keep your foot out of the throttle you will save gas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts