Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
BurninRubber&BlowinSmoke
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres my dilemma, my truck has been in the shop for the past month because we were installing the basics (oil cooler, egr delete, studs, gaskets, coolant filter, ccv mod, 6.4 banjos, blue spring and a few other small items). We finally got it all back together and it was having a hard time starting it turned out to be my FICM, so I had it replaced as well. Once running and back together it was bellowing grayish/blue smoke (not just a lil but enough to fog out any car sitting behind me at a stoplight). My uncle noticed oil running down the down pipe and along the exhaust we figured that was my smokey culprit so my turbo got replaced as well. It still smokes just not quite as bad as before. My uncle and I are now thinking that I have a dripping injector or a bad O ring on one of them causing all of my smoke. I took it to my local Ford dealership to have my injectors tested, the same one that replaced my injectors when I first purchased the truck (warranty :please:). They told be that "because of the aftermarket accessories they couldn't properly test "much" and that there was no way to know if it was my injectors causing my issue". Also that "the EGR delete would cause it to smoke, so I just needed to learn to live with it". BTW the quotations are directly from my analysis/receipt from the dealer. :confused:

So now on to my questions.

A) A EGR delete shouldn't cause grayish/blue smoke? RIGHT?!
B) Are we on the right track as far as finding the smoke issue? (injectors)
C) Is the dealership blowing more smoke up my A$$ then my truck? As far as not being able to test properly, and me just having to live with a smokey truck?

I desperately need your help. I'm so fed up with this right now i'm on the verge of burning it to the ground.:rod::rod:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
An EGR delete won't cause smoke but injectors could definitely cause blue/gray smoke. I don't know about your exhaust but if your turbo was leaking oil into the exhaust then it could take some time to burn out if you have the CAT and muffler still in place. Also, if your CCV mod is not at LEAST 3/4 to 1" fittings and hose then THAT could be causing you smoke problems also.

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Hey man. Check out vid below. When does the truck smoke? Is it random? All the time? Just when idling? My truck did the exact same thing and it was injectors (2 of them needed replacement). My truck smoked intermitently like at intersections and what not and it was pretty bad. I was certain I had a bad EGR but then reaized that my coolant level never dropped. So if your coolant is good and it's not burning oil, it has to be fuel.

Now knowing that you had a bad FICM tells me that your injectors were abused a little... especially since the truck was having a hard time starting. Diagnosing injectors can be done through the OBD II port so your accessories have nothing to do with diagnosing them. I just replaced my FICM and had smoke upon startup for the first few days while my injectors got their act back together. How often do you replace your oil? On the next change, try adding Rev-X and see if this helps.

I'm 80% certain you have some bad injectors. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Just curious, did it smoke at all or have any issue before your mods? It must have been acting up some if your FICM was weak.

Does it feel like it's got a hard miss to it? I don't know why Ford wouldn't do injector diagnostics on it. The mods you have shouldn't affect doing injector tests. Have you happened to check codes on it? If you really do have a weak cylinder/injector it should have logged a contribution fault. Then again, if you didn't clear codes after getting it running from all the work you did the PCM is going to be full of codes. I'd try clearing them and running it for a little bit and see if anything pops up. Or find someone who will do injector diagnostics on it for you.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
If you have an injector pissing in a cylinder a contribution test will certainly tell you that. So will an oil analysis. Your dealer sucks.

·
BurninRubber&BlowinSmoke
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An EGR delete won't cause smoke but injectors could definitely cause blue/gray smoke. I don't know about your exhaust but if your turbo was leaking oil into the exhaust then it could take some time to burn out if you have the CAT and muffler still in place. Also, if your CCV mod is not at LEAST 3/4 to 1" fittings and hose then THAT could be causing you smoke problems also.
My exhaust is all pipe no kitty or muffler so I figured it wouldnt take to long to burn it out. As for the CCV mod it is NCHornets kit from Stealth. We followed the directions to a T, so I have a hard time believing its causing the smoke.
Hey man. Check out vid below. When does the truck smoke? Is it random? All the time? Just when idling? My truck did the exact same thing and it was injectors (2 of them needed replacement). My truck smoked intermitently like at intersections and what not and it was pretty bad. I was certain I had a bad EGR but then reaized that my coolant level never dropped. So if your coolant is good and it's not burning oil, it has to be fuel.

Now knowing that you had a bad FICM tells me that your injectors were abused a little... especially since the truck was having a hard time starting. Diagnosing injectors can be done through the OBD II port so your accessories have nothing to do with diagnosing them. I just replaced my FICM and had smoke upon startup for the first few days while my injectors got their act back together. How often do you replace your oil? On the next change, try adding Rev-X and see if this helps.

I'm 80% certain you have some bad injectors. Hope this helps.
It smokes when at idle and it stops smoking about about 900-1000rpm. So basically every intersection I pull up to is fogged up until I take off, then it clears up. I'll try the Rev-X thanks for the tip. Also will driving my tuck with it like this cause any damage? Should I just park it until I figure out whats wrong?
Just curious, did it smoke at all or have any issue before your mods? It must have been acting up some if your FICM was weak.

Does it feel like it's got a hard miss to it? I don't know why Ford wouldn't do injector diagnostics on it. The mods you have shouldn't affect doing injector tests. Have you happened to check codes on it? If you really do have a weak cylinder/injector it should have logged a contribution fault. Then again, if you didn't clear codes after getting it running from all the work you did the PCM is going to be full of codes. I'd try clearing them and running it for a little bit and see if anything pops up. Or find someone who will do injector diagnostics on it for you.
It had a slight haze before which i blamed on my faulty EGR, which is why we did all of the work in the first place. I never noticed a single problem with the FICM before we took it apart, only once it was put back together. It doesnt seem to miss either it runs like a champ other than the CHITTY looking smoke.:doh: My uncle is supposed to be getting the software to test it, he's just waiting on a guy to get it to him. (hes been a mechanic at Peterbuilt for the past 23 years)
If you have an injector pissing in a cylinder a contribution test will certainly tell you that. So will an oil analysis. Your dealer sucks.
My thoughts exactly!! I think they are just trying to jump around so they dont have to change the injectors out under warranty. (Fords 12/12 part warranty) I guess it looks like I'm going back up there and watching the tech test it.:nod:

Thanks for the help everyone!:thumb:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Your next step should be to go to a dealer (or that dealer) and ask specifically for a contribution test and possibly watch them do it if they let you. This will tell you if an injector or 2 are bad and which ones.

Best of luck!

·
BurninRubber&BlowinSmoke
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are a few vids of it running... Sorry for the crappy quality.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sounds like an injector.

·
BurninRubber&BlowinSmoke
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any assessments from the vids? I'm definitely thinking injectors tho.

·
BurninRubber&BlowinSmoke
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So just a lil update. This morning the truck has developed a stutter/skip on initial start up. It doesnt last long but it is noticeable, just a short stutter as the truck fires up. From everything i've gathered and everyones help on here I'm confident is blaming my injectors. Now to fight with my dealer and get it fixed.
1 question tho. In the meantime should I park it and let it be or is it ok to drive??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts