Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Really? You gave more than $8,000 for your truck and it looks like mine?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Hell I'll sell you my 94 obs powerstroke for $8000 usd. Lived its whole life in Texas so its rust free. Has the original engine as far as I know plus has new 180cc injectors, e fuel system, full exhaust, bellowed up pipes, 1.0 exhaust housing, gauges, ac and heat work, does need some body work and definitely interior work done to it, but it's a great runner and has maybe 3000 miles on the southbend clutch. Truck also go new injector cups, glow plugs, valve cover harness. It's a crew cab long bed with all 4 power windows and locks which was a pretty rare option from what I've read.
I actually looked into getting something from WA but honestly it's just such a hassle with the import, and also our dollar is worthless down there.

Buddy with the stock one said his sale fell through so now I'm talking to him again. He sent me this pic of the underside of the rad support. Said he figures it's got like 10 years in it still.. What do you guys think?

My big hesitation with this particular truck is that its manual. I'm sure I'll learn, but I feel like it'll be a struggle on some of the mountain logging roads we'll be taking it on in the summer. Can kind of picture myself having a meltdown stalling it out repeatedly haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Really? You gave more than $8,000 for your truck and it looks like mine?

Yep. Double. But it was a Texas truck all it’s life. No rust. Original owner who took exceptionally good care of it. And it is all stock, never been modded, tuned, or used to pull heavy stuff or abused. Structurally, mechanically, and electrically sound.

In the end it was exactly what I was looking for, at a time when I didn’t have a vehicle to drive because my previous suv died, and I plan to drive this truck for decades to come. So to me the price was worth what I paid.

Just to note, all the trucks I found online close to me for 5-8k had been used as construction trucks for years. They were trashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ya mine wasnt in the best of shape either I mean it ran and drove fine and had a brand new clutch in it, i am the 3rd owner, I gave $3000 for my truck but it's not easy to find a crew cab 4x4 with a manual transmission, I lucked out as mine has 3.55 gears so it's not screaming running 70 mph down the highway. I replaced pretty much everything on the truck, the who front end is new, ball joints, steering gear, tie rods, wheel bearings, u joints, new manual hubs, cooling system all new, glow plugs, injector cups, injectors, leaf spring bushings in front as well as drilled and slotted rotors and new pads, new rear brakes. I still need to replace the rear leaf spring bushings but havent had a chance, I have bucket seats for the rear, one thing that was hacked was the front doors were changed and i need to find a 94 or 95 harness for the power windows and locks, but that is not easily found. Paint will be coming this year hopefully as well as interior. I've been on the hunt for a tired 7.3 long block to build to have ready to drop in if and when mine ever dies.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Never buy a vehicle from a friend.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I think I'm going to get the stock white truck after all.

The guy with the black one with the engine swap just gave me an update today. Injectors were swapped out to stock and O-rings replaced, all the injector wiring was cleaned up and buzz test is good. There is now a misfire code that rotates through all 8 cylinders and a vibration. The truck drives but there's a vibration at certain speeds happening. Mechanic thinks it's due to the flywheel being a 97 and the engine being an 02. Or a transmission issue maybe. Owner dropped the price to $4500 USD (6k CAD). My big issue is what if it is not either of those things... What if it needs a new engine entirely... I think it's just too risky at this point.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Why were stock injectors put in the truck when the 180cc were only 2000km old... I'd pass on that truck the flywheels should be the same, as far as I know the flywheel isnt blanced any different from either engine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Why were stock injectors put in the truck when the 180cc were only 2000km old... I'd pass on that truck the flywheels should be the same, as far as I know the flywheel isnt blanced any different from either engine.
They swapped out the injectors an attempt to fix the misfire. Seems like it might have somehow made it worse. Just the diag for this problem could cost more than the amount he's reduced the price for.. Then if we've got to put a new engine into it AND deal with all its other issues... Yeah... Sadly I think it's out.

Now I'm just trying to make a deal with the guy who owns that white stock truck I posted earlier.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm glad I live somewhere It doesnt rust, I have a 1961 f100 and a 1968 n750 with less rust than that white truck and they are more than 50 years old. Good luck on whatever you decide, and cheaper isnt always better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just realized I hadn't posted any photos of this stock '97 truck I'm looking at. It's got a tiny bit of rust over the wheel wells but can easily address that. Also would get fender flares eventually which would hide it haha. He sent me his inspection report from March and everything looks good. He had a bunch of work done to it then... Has a side dump exhaust a TS6 tuner. Old man then lady owned for most of its life. He wants $12500 CAD (9300 US).

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Living in BC Canada with all the snow and salt, I'd just take the $15K and use it as a down payment for a nice new 2017 or newer truck with the aluminum bodies. Then you won't have to worry about the body rusting out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Living in BC Canada with all the snow and salt, I'd just take the $15K and use it as a down payment for a nice new 2017 or newer truck with the aluminum bodies. Then you won't have to worry about the body rusting out.
Kind of hard to justify a shiny new truck when we're saving up for a house... Real estate is pretty nuts up here!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I thought you were getting that white one, now you're back on the one with a bad radiator support? You're all over the place.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I thought you were getting that white one, now you're back on the one with a bad radiator support? You're all over the place.
jman37 chiming in again to make me feel like an idiot. Thanks for the input bud.

That photo shows the rad support on the white one. Definitely needs to get done soon (+ body mounts as you can see) but maybe can put it off a year or two and just keep an eye on it in the meantime. I think most obs trucks around here are going to have the same issue so it is what it is... Undercarriage looks really good and clean and he's spent a lot on maintenance recently.

The guy with the black one said he "fixed" the problems but I think you guys are right that it'll be a big headache. I know too much about it now to want it. After all the warnings I've decided to pass on that one. I'd rather spend a little more for something stock and mechanically sound. I pulled the trigger and put a deposit on the white one today. I'm picking it up on Saturday.

Thanks to everyone else for the constructive advice. I really appreciate it.

Attachments

21 - 35 of 35 Posts