Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I'm seriously considering buying this truck. It's a '97 F350 with 330k on the body and 180k km on a 2002 7.3L engine swap (112k mi). Has 180cc injectors with hydra tune (less than 2000 km on them). 4 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift. Lots of work done on it including water pump, glow plugs and glow plug relay, head gasket. Body looks pretty good.

Had it inspected at a diesel mechanic that has experience with these trucks. He found quite a bit and we initially walked away. The owner is fixing a misfire/cylinder imbalance which may have to do with the new injectors, as well as rerouting/cleaning up the engine wiring harness. If we buy it we'd have to get the rad support done (and install a 6L tranny cooler he's throwing in), fix some play in the front left hub (shim or something missing, could be the hub itself), AC recharge.. Also needs new rear leaf springs, which I'd see if I can upgrade to the 4in lift height and take out the rear blocks maybe so it's all solid back there. I'd also get the undercarriage treated (sand blasted?) and undercoated, a new winch bumper and get some nice 37in tires and wheels. He'll let it go for 8500 CAD (6350 US) which I think is pretty decent given what people are asking for these things around here and what's been done to it that we wouldn't have to. We'd probably put another $5000 into it in the work it needs and upgrades to make it look mint.

Any advice here?

I've looked at 3 other 7.3's. One was bone stock, needed $5K in work plus another 5-7K's in upgrades to look how we wanted it. Guy wouldn't budge on his asking price of $8900. Another guy with a basically bone stock one (mint body) wants $12K so we couldn't afford to get it lifted and painted and wheels... Other one was rusted to hell and I didn't bother driving it. People just want so much money for these things and they still need so much work.

The boyfriend is getting sick of waiting on the 7.3 I'm smitten over, and is considering a 6.0L with all the bells and whistles for around 13K. We had a 6.0L a few years ago (got stolen) that we had to drop a new engine into so I'm pretty wary of that option.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
You'll be fighting electrical issues especially if this owner is doing a hack job to fix everything.

Personally i'd find a good stock truck and start from there. Cost may be a little more up front but it will save you more in the long run. Nothing is worse than fixing something someone elses upgrade.

·
Hate stupid people
8,591 Posts
never buy someone else's motor swap project unless your going to remove the "swap" and invest in doing it properly.

I'd pay more for a stock truck even if it has more miles/worse condition any day of the week

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll be fighting electrical issues especially if this owner is doing a hack job to fix everything.

Personally i'd find a good stock truck and start from there. Cost may be a little more up front but it will save you more in the long run. Nothing is worse than fixing something someone elses upgrade.
It's just realllly hard around here to find a stock truck with less than 350k km on it (220k mi). Especially one that doesn't need thousands in work and thousands more to make it look like I want it to (paint, tires/wheels, lift kit etc).

The owner has a red seal mechanic cleaning everything up currently, so I'd like to hope they can get it done properly. He said the buzz test was good and everything is set up properly, it was just messy and is being cleaned up. But that's a good point, I've heard electrical on these trucks can be a nightmare. Hmm.

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
It's just realllly hard around here to find a stock truck with less than 350k km on it (220k mi). Especially one that doesn't need thousands in work and thousands more to make it look like I want it to (paint, tires/wheels, lift kit etc).

The owner has a red seal mechanic cleaning everything up currently, so I'd like to hope they can get it done properly. He said the buzz test was good and everything is set up properly, it was just messy and is being cleaned up. But that's a good point, I've heard electrical on these trucks can be a nightmare. Hmm.
As soon as you buy that truck you're going to be spending so much time on here and money on parts to get it where you want. not including the work it already needs. Look further then 20 miles down the road and you WILL find one. I looked for 6 months and bought the exact truck I wanted bone stock with 120k miles on it for 12k.

I put a level kit, some supporting mods and minor repairs and the truck is exactly what I want/need. vs buying someone's Frankenstein project. There is more to the initial reason he's selling it...

Don't want to sounds like a jerk, but it sounds like you are in too much of a hurry to find a truck and trying to justify it... Wait for the truck you really want, save up more and be way happier.

ps Red Seal don't mean squat when you're talking about mechanics quality of work. You need someone who specialized in powerstroke and understands the VAST differences between OBS and Powerstrokes with all the wire harnesses etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only other crew cab long box that I'd consider right now is $12k. Super clean and bone stock. It would need almost $9k in upgrades to look how I'd like it to. With a budget of $15, it would be a bit over the top, especially if something extra came up with the engine or suspension.

·
Hate stupid people
8,591 Posts
then your beyond help if you think you "need" $9,000 in upgrades for your preference look/taste.

you've asked, we've helped from experiences and such.

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
The only other crew cab long box that I'd consider right now is $12k. Super clean and bone stock. It would need almost $9k in upgrades to look how I'd like it to. With a budget of $15, it would be a bit over the top, especially if something extra came up with the engine or suspension.
$9k in upgrades?

4in lift $1500
5 tires/wheels approx. 315/75r16 $2400

Larger injectors $1500
tuner with custom tunes $500

Wicked wheel 2-$220 with o rings
Modified valvebody with fluid/ gasket for shifting with new power from injectors $350

That leaves $2500 for repairs, maintenance and mods.

That's enough for a drop in turbo, uppipes, gauges, and interior updates etc.

considering's you do all the work but most shops only charge small price to install lift kits they do it all day all the time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's really just the paint job that makes it so expensive. I hate the white and am in love with how the shiny black lifted obs's look. I can do a cheaper lift with rear blocks because it's got air bags so I don't need to worry really about loading it up with a sled or two which is the most it would ever have it in it. Can get used wheels and tires to save there and a used bumper. Might actually be do-able without the paint job.

Posted a pic of the truck. It's in good shape but just not as pretty as I'd like it to be.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$9k in upgrades?

4in lift $1500
5 tires/wheels approx. 315/75r16 $2400

Larger injectors $1500
tuner with custom tunes $500

Wicked wheel 2-$220 with o rings
Modified valvebody with fluid/ gasket for shifting with new power from injectors $350

That leaves $2500 for repairs, maintenance and mods.

That's enough for a drop in turbo, uppipes, gauges, and interior updates etc.

considering's you do all the work but most shops only charge small price to install lift kits they do it all day all the time.
I am not an experienced mechanic. I'm also a girl, which means mechanics look at me and see dollar signs.

Got quoted 2400 for a 5-6in skyjacker lift kit including labor (w rear blocks... with rear leaf springs was 3500). Quoted 2600 for a shiny black paint job (found a guy on craigslist). Found used tires and wheels I liked on craigslist for 1100 which the boyfriend will install. Can find a used bumper on there for a decent price too. But I will need to be paying for labour which is why it all adds up so quickly. At least $6100 right there, not including a bumper and grille, which it needs (they are rusty and look like crap).

The more I think through this option, it could possibly work if I up my budget just a bit and get the rear block lift kit.

Bear in mind, these are Canadian prices. Everything is more expensive in BC where I live.

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
I am not an experienced mechanic. I'm also a girl, which means mechanics look at me and see dollar signs.

Got quoted 2400 for a 5-6in skyjacker lift kit including labor (w rear blocks... with rear leaf springs was 3500). Quoted 2600 for a shiny black paint job (found a guy on craigslist). Found used tires and wheels I liked on craigslist for 1100 which the boyfriend will install. Can find a used bumper on there for a decent price too. But I will need to be paying for labour which is why it all adds up so quickly. At least $6100 right there, not including a bumper and grille, which it needs (they are rusty and look like crap).

The more I think through this option, it could possibly work if I up my budget just a bit and get the rear block lift kit.

Bear in mind, these are Canadian prices. Everything is more expensive in BC where I live.
Skip the engine swap truck and go for the stock unit. Drive the truck a bit the way it is and save save.... Trust us when we try to steer you away from the engine swap unit now. IT will be one of the biggest regrets you have considering you would have to pay someone else to work on it.

Reactions: SparkyF250

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Skip the engine swap truck and go for the stock unit. Drive the truck a bit the way it is and save save.... Trust us when we try to steer you away from the engine swap unit now. IT will be one of the biggest regrets you have considering you would have to pay someone else to work on it.
Lol actually just messaged the guy. It's been sold :crying:

Literally nothing else out there looks even remotely good. Even in Alberta which is a pretty ridiculous distance to drive from the coast to get a truck (also would need an out of province inspection which is going to come up with god knows what)

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
As I said in the other thread, you envision an almost near perfect OBS for your price range, which isn't realistic, so you're looking at trucks that need a lot of attention for cheaper, and for some reason want to immediately sink $9k into just so it looks pretty for you. Find something close to stock, and drive it. You don't "need" a nice big lift with 37's off the bat. Buy stuff as the budget allows you. Personally I would want something mechanically sound over a pretty truck with a swiss cheesed engine swap any day.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As I said in the other thread, you envision an almost near perfect OBS for your price range, which isn't realistic, so you're looking at trucks that need a lot of attention for cheaper, and for some reason want to immediately sink $9k into just so it looks pretty for you. Find something close to stock, and drive it. You don't "need" a nice big lift with 37's off the bat. Buy stuff as the budget allows you. Personally I would want something mechanically sound over a pretty truck with a swiss cheesed engine swap any day.
The trouble is there are literally no trucks close to stock around here with clean body - I live in BC, it's wet and salty and just not a good place to be a truck. Even overlooking the condition of the body I can't seem to find one that doesn't need A LOT of work mechanically. It's just a super rare truck around here. I could wait 6 months but it'd be a pretty bummer summer not being able to dirtbike!

I'm not totally set on any of this, just trying to figure out what is going to work and not give me a big headache. I appreciate the advice. It's not the only truck I'm looking at. I'm not even sure the mechanic working on it can get it running properly at this point. If it's going to take them weeks to figure it out I'll probably pass.

I'm also considering a 2001 7.3 with a crate motor that has 50k on it. Is that another frankentruck to be avoided? Are crate motors bad? It's no OBS but looks super clean and well cared for. Wouldn't need much.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I get that, but it seems like this whole thread you've been trying to talk YOURSELF into justifying it. Define crate motor, do you mean it has a reman'd Jasper motor in it? If so, I probably wouldn't be afraid of it. Not sure of the quality of their motors as far as a 7.3 (if it indeed is that) but perhaps someone else has.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It's a 7.3 from Reviva (re manufactured as you said) with 31k mi (50k km). It's got 251k mi (404k km) on body. They said they have the receipts for it to prove the work, so it sounds like it was done by a professional, which is a big plus. New front end as well in 2015 so it's been well looked after. Doesn't need much. It has a 4in lift and some nice tires already. No rust except a bit of topical on the roof. He uses it to haul a 37' toy hauler and said he doesn't even notice it.

Might be a more sensible option really.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Reading up on Reviva now. One guy (in the early 2000's) went through three of them before doing his own rebuild from the scrap yard. The problem is to do with the cylinder sleeves and seems pretty catastrophic. Also found some more recent complaints somewhere on a google search within the past couple years.

Though, perhaps if this truck's made it to 50k km, maybe it's in the clear? lol.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hell I'll sell you my 94 obs powerstroke for $8000 usd. Lived its whole life in Texas so its rust free. Has the original engine as far as I know plus has new 180cc injectors, e fuel system, full exhaust, bellowed up pipes, 1.0 exhaust housing, gauges, ac and heat work, does need some body work and definitely interior work done to it, but it's a great runner and has maybe 3000 miles on the southbend clutch. Truck also go new injector cups, glow plugs, valve cover harness. It's a crew cab long bed with all 4 power windows and locks which was a pretty rare option from what I've read.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hell I'll sell you my 94 obs powerstroke for $8000 usd. Lived its whole life in Texas so its rust free. Has the original engine as far as I know plus has new 180cc injectors, e fuel system, full exhaust, bellowed up pipes, 1.0 exhaust housing, gauges, ac and heat work, does need some body work and definitely interior work done to it, but it's a great runner and has maybe 3000 miles on the southbend clutch. Truck also go new injector cups, glow plugs, valve cover harness. It's a crew cab long bed with all 4 power windows and locks which was a pretty rare option from what I've read.

I swear you just took a pic of my truck. Looks the same on the outside although I don’t have all that fancy stuff on it yet. I’m pretty much stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts