Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have been lurking for a while but finally registered. (I have been wrenching on cars for years never a diesel until now) My problem is I have been having a BLACK smoke problem that I have spent too much time trying to figure out! The truck has the typical puff of whitish when cold starting and and black smoke when accelerating (as is if I take foot off the gas and then hit again). I have had terrible luck with local shops in SoCal and have no more money for a shop to not fix it. I have owned the truck for almost 3 years and overall it has spent almost a full year in the shop during my ownership.

History: I bought the truck with 2 bad injectors which I knew because it was checked out (head gaskets blown they don't notice despite coolant blowing out degas bottle). I took it to a diesel shop that replaced the injectors and installed a bulletproof egr and told me it was all good (says they all blow coolant out bottle). They also dropped metal into the engine and installed the egr hose wrong so it leaked and said it was a defective hose and not there problem. Turns out that shop if known by local diesel guys for being a disaster despite how busy they are and how many good reviews they probable pay for!

So I took it to my local Ford dealership they fixed egr hose stating it was installed wrong but they ignore puking degas bottle and say I'm all good, at this point the truck runs great.

2nd dealership trip: I decided to take it back and ask for a head gasket diagnostic and guess what they're blown. So i spend 12k re sealing entire engine with arp head studs and while apart they find previous metal that was dropped into the engine which made its was through the timing cover into the oil cooler screen. So get a new water pump, timing cover, oil pump. When I get it back seems to run good.

3rd dealership trip: Drive it for a few months and runs great but blows a little coolant on long trips and starts the smoking problem of letting off gas and then accelerating to blow black clouds. So I take it back asking to check smoke and blowing coolant (supposedly under warranty). Well guess what the head gaskets are blown and despite trying to not cover warranty claiming tuners, racing any excuses they agree to replace head gaskets. But this time they claim heads are warped (but claimed to have been checked the first time by the service manager although actual tech just says I followed the procedure set by the dealership and uses that several times) They also find two injectors that "look" like they need replacement I get the feeling they didn't test anything before the tear down. Although under warranty they want me to approved 15k in parts turns out at any other dealership the total is closer to 8k so I agree to supply my own parts (from other local dealerships). After purchasing the parts they find my cam has 2 bad lobes and they don't know how to replace a cam so I need to buy a whole new engine though them for another fortune of money that I don't have.

So after agreeing they will do any labor to put the truck back together (but they dont want to warranty anything going forward) I pickup my short block and have it rebuilt by a good local machinist that I have used on for my engine work in the past for my classic car projects. (He does the diesel for a lot of local shops) so in the end here is what has been done to the truck:

-Rebuilt long block with arp hardware and Fluidamper balancer (because I got it cheap from someone who never installed it and why not).
-4 new injectors which ones they didn't keep track
-UCF o ringed heads with arp studs
-New oem oil cooler
-Bulletproof diesel egr cooler
-oem waterpump
-oem hpop
-oem intercooler
-oem radiator
-MBRP up pipes
-updated push rods and hydraulic lifters
-oem fan clutch
-Bypass oil/coolant filtration
-Leece Neville Alternator
-oem metal intercooler tube on cold side

Pick it up from dealership during covid craziness because its finally done and it smokes way worse than ever. Life happens my boss aka owner of company dies from covid he caught at the hospital and I am busy shutting down out company for good which is a large task so I don't have time or mindset to deal with the truck. With all my new free time I have been systematically trying to figure out the smoke. I find the turbo solenoid wires are barely hanging on so I replace the connector. Still smokes but clears up faster. Then I find map senor hose cracking so I replace hose and sensor as it looks original and then helps with boost readings and runs a tiny bit better along with intake manifold temp sensor with popped up in a soft code. Now I am back to the smoke I was getting when I dropped it off at the dealership.

Right now I am getting P0284 but I have an Autel scanner and shutting off that injector doesn't seem the affect the smoke(also went though other injectors) and only misfires from that injector is when coming down steep grade in tow haul mode which i assume gets the code. I don't want to just replace parts for no reason. but the FICM hasn't been touched but I do use a SCT livewire as gauges (computer hasn't been flashed for a tune) The ficm has a steady 48 volts. the exhaust back pressure idles at 50 and goes to 150 in psi but from what I understand SCT's calculate ebp completely wrong and I can't find any information that they ever corrected the problem in an update. so possible a Ficm logic side?

Either way I know its a long post but it runs well except for the smoke any advice? Sad part is this is abridged and I left out some dealership visits!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also replaced EGR valve with rebuilt from dealership, blue spring upgrade, motorcraft rebuilt mass airflow sensor and installed new Garret turbo with updated oil lines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if anyone wanted to know I at least contacted SCT Flash about if they have or are going to update the exhaust back pressure issue here is the response:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting support. It is a known issue but I have not update or ETA on it being fixed. I know some of the 6.0L don’t even have that sensor on them. Unfortunely I won’t be able to assist you with this. The Livewire TS is not legal for sale or use in the state of California.

Thanks,
SCT Technical Support

·
Administrator
21,599 Posts
black smoke is a sign of un-burnt fuel, which could be a boost leak, lazy turbo, or a bad tune.
The reason you are blowing coolant is because the dealership doesn't machine the heads.

I dont know anything about you or your situation, but I would say that unless you want to read the multiple threads on the internet and learn from the mistakes of others before throwing any more money at it, then its time for you to part ways with this truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Maybe my post was confusing but I guess the advice I was looking for is as after a couple years reading and learning about this truck I can't seem to get the last bit fixed. Now that the long block is basically all new along with new turbo, intercooler, sinister diesel boots, metal oem cool side pipe, mbrp up pipe none have which have affected the smoke I was trying to put the history of work done to help see if there is a fresh perspective and direction since I am probably too close to the situation . At this point I am thinking it might be an electrical issue? Since it started while driving and all the recent work didn't affect is I was wondering is failed logic side of ficm because those I guess can be gremlins for years or who knows I wish whatever part would completely fail so it would be easy to find!

Honestly I wish I had replaced the harness while the engine was out!

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
When I read this, I think the same thing as Heavy: tome to part ways. If everything else has been fixed, just put what the problem is and what tunes may be on the truck. If you’re not blowing coolant anymore, the heads and EGR have been fixed.

I don’t know much about black smoke, but when I think FICM, I thing white smoke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks probably too much and made it confusing was just trying to pre answer all the advice already read in many forums I'll use this as it's history and start a new thread under problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts