Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered an F350 but guess experiences on F250 would be helpful.
Unloaded and loaded ride need to be taken into consideration and expected mileage as well. Truck will be every day vehicle so slight lean to unloaded ride might be important, but if there isn’t one best tire for both, then the best compromise of both.
Edit 18” tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I use the Toyo Open Country AT II LT275 /65 R20E. It has a great ride, long life and is very quiet. I crawled uphill past people that were all over the road in solid ice last winter and didn't spin a tire. It has a 5/50K warranty, but actual use varies from about 40-65K depending on roads and habits. 2007 F250 CCLB 4X4.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Any number of good tires out there. I'm currently running the Toyo 295/65R20s It gives me a 35" tire and runs pretty quiet. The size ( 18 vs 20) won't make much difference. Mine usually give me 50,000 + miles of use and I'm towing a lot.

They are a 80psi tire and in my size have over 4000 lbs load rating. If you run the at 80 psi and no load they can seem a bit harsh. But when I have the trailers hooked up I like the extra load capacity.

Cooper makes an excellent AT tire also. and it's American made. They offer it in a 295/70R18 or a 285/75R18 that both have over 4000 lbs load rating

·
Super Moderator
9,306 Posts
Nitto and Toyo have a good following with plenty of choices. My Nitto EXOs are loud for an AT tire but have been doing awesome for mileage and durability. Aired down to 65+ PSI they do have a nice ride.

·
Super Moderator
19,280 Posts
I agree the Toyo OC ATII. Mine have been great. I, too, daily drive mine, but tow a 5th wheel several times a year. I run mine @ 65 psi/50psi (F/R) for a comfortable DD ride. Running them like that, the rears don't wear out in the middle by having the tire pressure up with no load in the bed. You may not be able to do that if you have a TPMS on your truck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree the Toyo OC ATII. Mine have been great. I, too, daily drive mine, but tow a 5th wheel several times a year. I run mine @ 65 psi/50psi (F/R) for a comfortable DD ride. Running them like that, the rears don't wear out in the middle by having the tire pressure up with no load in the bed. You may not be able to do that if you have a TPMS on your truck.
What do you set your psi to when you tow your fifth wheel( and what’s weight of 5th wheel?)

·
Super Moderator
19,280 Posts
What do you set your psi to when you tow your fifth wheel( and what’s weight of 5th wheel?)
I set them @ 70/80psi (F/R) when towing. The 5er is about 12k.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I run mine at 65 front 60 rear. We have mostly winding country roads here in central Oregon and if I have the front any lower they wear faster on the outside. 65 keeps them even across and 60 on the rear seems just perfect for mileage and wear all around as long as I rotate every oil change. The ride is still pretty good, but at 50 my outsides wear faster. The 20 inch wheel makes it a bit rougher than an 18, but for a truck tire I would still give it an A. I also go up to 70F and 80R when hauling heavy.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
What does Ford use when you order A/T tires?
Didn’t order, bought off lot, had Continentals on it. I love Toyos as well. The AT comes in an extreme look (sidewalls look mean) in certain sizes. Went with MT on current Truck, noisy but 12 ply and they tend wear really long. I have Toyo RT in other 2 rides and have to say they are a good compromise between an MT and AT if you want a beefier look.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm putting duratraks on mine.
So far I just have the rims and tires. Truck hasn't been built yet. Lariat spec'ed with black side wall a/t tires of unknown mfg.
I'll update when they are married.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BFG A/T KO2

I have a set of BFG LT275/70R-18 Erated T/A KO2s on my 2005 F350 crew cab SB diesel and they look like they're 2/3 wore out after only 3 years and 20,000 miles! very disappointed in their short wear life - and haven't towed or loaded it at all during this time and keep 65psi in them!

Definitely won't buy them again!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have Nitto Terra grapplers G2 35" x 12.5 On 20" rims. Upgrade from OEM 265 /65 R18. I love the Nitto they have 65k tread warranty. F rated tows my 10k 31' 5th wheel not to noisey with a clean look.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The only tires I’ve ever gotten close to the advertised mileage rating was Michelin. This was with my Dodge Ram trucks. The Cooper ATPs I ran started separating before the tread was worn down. Had this not happened I would’ve gotten fairly close to the advertised 50k.
I’ve known many people who run Toyo and have never had anything but positive to say about them.
As soon as I’m able to I will be replacing the Wranglers that are on my truck now with Toyo AT 2 or the RT

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Love my Michelin tires. Wear awesome. Great ride. Quiet. Now granted I don't off road or anything....all highway/roads.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a set of BFG LT275/70R-18 Erated T/A KO2s on my 2005 F350 crew cab SB diesel and they look like they're 2/3 wore out after only 3 years and 20,000 miles! very disappointed in their short wear life - and haven't towed or loaded it at all during this time and keep 65psi in them!

Definitely won't buy them again!!!!
This doesn't surprise me. Coming from a Ram 2500 Cummins, no one ran BFG AT KO2's because they were worn down in 20k miles. I was hoping with the lighter truck (f250 vs 2500) that they would hold up because they are a great tire for 1/2 tons..

·
Registered
369 Posts
DON'T get the Goodyear Wrangler. It's a Kevlar tire and I've had a hard time getting a set that is actually round!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts