Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newb to the performance diesel world here. I've got a 1996 F250 PSD, AT, 4x4 that I use for my lawn care business. It has 250K on the engine and 60K on the trans with a shift kit. I don't know which shift kit though since it was rebuilt/replaced by the previous owner. Shifts qquick and firm but not overly snappy. Modifications I have done are BFAF, 3" downpipe, 4" straight pipe to the rear and a bb in the FPR w/ pressure gauge. Also have a full 3 gauge pillar with Autometer pyro, boost & trans. Added a 12x11x1.5 trans cooler w/ a seperate fan as well. I don't forsee any more mods anytime soon, no plans for injectors, bigger turbo or anything like that. Possibly down the road but not now. I tow a 7x12 landscape trailer with a zero turn, walk behind, trimmers, blowers and misc other work junk daily. I would estimate around 5K lbs at the most, trailer included. If it matters I'm on stock gears and 33's.

Question is will a custom tune like TW make a huge inprovement with the basic stuff I have now? Also I would like to be able to roll lots of smoke from time to time. Can I do that with what I already have and a TW tune?

Am I 100% correct that I should avoid all the Edge, Hypertech, Bully Dog, SCT and any other "generic tuners" that are out there?

Anyone else have any reccomendations on anything else I should look into doing drivetrain wise?

Thanks in advance and I think I'm going to like it here.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
tony will ask what you have done, and he will tune to maximize what you have on the truck.. you will roll PLENTY of coal. trust me, with what you have now, it wont be a problem.

I would suggest a daily tune, stock tune(to put it in in case someone drives the truck and youre not in it.) tow, street and a high idle. you will be pleased.
yeah, the hypertech and edge stuff isnt worth anything on our trucks. it does help a little, but not for what you pay. Plus the tranny shifting is so much better with Tony.

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
you will roll plenty of smoke with a TW. i have one and love it!! i have stock, daily, heavy tow, street race, extreme, and sled pull on mine. i love the heavy tow and the street race they are my 2 favorite for on the street the sled pull makes a butt load of power but is not a very streetable tune lol get it you will love it

·
Registered
328 Posts
I hate my tw tunes, I cant hardley even use it for towing, I have to run it on the stock tune or economy tune to keep egt down and not smoke like a freight train, I've sent him the chip 3 times and each time it's the same way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts