Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have a 8" 4-link rough country lift. I want two things 1. smoother ride 2. alittle more lift. I'm thinking about getting icon dual rate 7" springs for the front and put my 2.5 leveling kit spacer on top to get 9.5" lift for the front. The rear I will simply get a bigger block to make up the differance. Is there gonna be any issues doing that? Will my steering be fine? What about the length of the 4-link? Shocks? Driveshafts? Etc. Thanks

·
Registered
845 Posts
if you have adjustable arms and track bar, you would be off to a good start two additional inches on an 8" lift it quite a bit . as far as springs go, a constant rate spring will ride better, were as a variable will give good ride but only for a short stroke of the spring, then it quickly ramps up the rate.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You can run a spacer on top. i've got a 2.5" spacer on the top of a 10" coil. as far as ride goes once i moved the lower track bar mount up to the top of the axle it soften the ride up. i started with an 8" lift and had to buy longer sway bar links a 12" 4-link 10" coils 2.5" spacers longer shocks and had an adjustable track bar made with heim joints and tabs welded to the top of the axle tube to mount it but still using the drop bracket and pitman arm that came with the 8" kit. The drive shafts are long enough. As far as the steering goes you'll be fine as long as you've got a drop pitman arm for the 8 inch lift

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can run a spacer on top. i've got a 2.5" spacer on the top of a 10" coil. as far as ride goes once i moved the lower track bar mount up to the top of the axle it soften the ride up. i started with an 8" lift and had to buy longer sway bar links a 12" 4-link 10" coils 2.5" spacers longer shocks and had an adjustable track bar made with heim joints and tabs welded to the top of the axle tube to mount it but still using the drop bracket and pitman arm that came with the 8" kit. The drive shafts are long enough. As far as the steering goes you'll be fine as long as you've got a drop pitman arm for the 8 inch lift
Could you get me a picture of your track bar mount?

·
Registered
506 Posts
there is a flat plate on top of the axle just behind the drag link. i had two tabs cut out of 3/8" steel (with 3/4 in holes for the bolt) welded to that. i used 3/4 in heim joints and 1.5 in cold rolled tubbing tor the track bar. after i had that done it never did the "death wobble" again either so it worked out great. i included one of my truck with me standing beside it for a referance I'M 6' tall it has 43" goodyear tires
1346624520111.jpg

1347056085216.jpg

1347056105256.jpg

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is a flat plate on top of the axle just behind the drag link. i had two tabs cut out of 3/8" steel (with 3/4 in holes for the bolt) welded to that. i used 3/4 in heim joints and 1.5 in cold rolled tubbing tor the track bar. after i had that done it never did the "death wobble" again either so it worked out great. i included one of my truck with me standing beside it for a referance I'M 6' tall it has 43" goodyear tires
View attachment 42786

View attachment 42787

View attachment 42788
Thanks. That should be easy to make since I'm a Ironworker/fabricator by trade.

·
LEARNING AS I GO
212 Posts
JD MILLS i really like your set up. How long have you had it on and have you had any issues?

·
Registered
506 Posts
JD MILLS i really like your set up. How long have you had it on and have you had any issues?
Its all worked very well. And by making the track bar with heim joints it tightened up the steering and has completely eliminated the wobble. Plus I got to the height I wanted without spending 10 grand. Once I got the cheap pro comp shocks off it really softened up the ride. It was much easier than ppl think. The only problem I've had is when I went to the 43" tires it wanted to wander. But I was still running the factory steering stabilizer I put a dual one on and it solved the problem.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
You still got the stock length driveshafts? Or did you lengthen them for your original lift? Just curious...

·
Registered
506 Posts
You still got the stock length driveshafts? Or did you lengthen them for your original lift? Just curious...
Yeah still using the factory ones... The front one would be the only one I would worry with if you go off road a lot. Mine still has clearance, none of the joints are binding. And as little as I'm off road I see no point in a clocking ring. Once I finished the lift I wanted to really test it and was pretty rough on it in 2 and 4wd and it did great. Nothing broke nothing binded. Now if you stay off road I would suggest a clocking/indexing ring and a new drop cross member. And possibly a one piece rear shaft. I'm also using a carrier bearing drop from ouo...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts