Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start this thread to begin a discussion on adding the OEM Sync system to ’08 trucks which have already been upgraded to the newer harddrive based Nav. system.

Thanks to a fellow member (53Willy) I just got the new nav system installed in my 2008 F-350 King Ranch and I love it. Now I want to get the Synch system installed and thought that I would start a thread here to share the information I learn as I go. I will be updating this thread regularly until the project is finished at which point (assuming I am successful) I will summarize the entire project with step-by-step instructions (including part numbers and suppliers) for completing the project.

So here is where the project starts:
The project truck is a 2008 F-350 King Ranch. It came from the factory loaded with the Nav system and the audiophile sound system. The truck is a job 1 truck which did not have rear camera as an available option but the OEM tailgate camera has been added and displays on the new nav system. I have also added a front bumper camera and will be adding the lockpick module to the new Nav system to allow use of both cameras. With the use of a couple of upfitter switches I will be able to display either camera whenever I like (regardless of what gear the truck is in).

The new Nav system that was installed in my truck, came out of a 2010 F250 King Ranch which had all the same options as my truck and also had Sync. I also already have a Sync module that came out of a 2010 F-150. I hope that the two units (the nav and the sync) both being out of 2010 model trucks will mean that no programming will be required (so far none has been required for the Nav system).

At this point I still need to figure out what wiring harnesses will be required to connect the Sync module and will probably also need to change out the right side steering wheel buttons.

So let’s get started…
First I think I will need to get my hands on the interior wiring diagram for a 2009 or 2010 truck as well as one for my 08 truck. I will also need to figure out which steering wheel switch is required (there are several version of this switch) to activate and control the sync system.

I think I can work with my local Ford dealer’s parts dept. to figure out what switch I need but I have no idea how to get the wiring diagrams. If anyone has any info on how I might get my hands on the wiring diagram I would greatly appreciate hear about it.

More to come...

Steve

·
Registered
208 Posts
subscribed! Good luck in your venture:thumb: I really just want radio controls on the steering wheel...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
subscribed! Good luck in your venture:thumb: I really just want radio controls on the steering wheel...
From what I have read regarding this, the easiest solution is to just buy a steering wheel that has the controls...should just work according to what I have heard. Of course I have not tried this myself as my truck already had the controls. I have seen steering wheels go on Ebay for between $100 and $150...that might be a bit much to spend without any concrete assurance that it would work.

Maybe someone else can provide more insight.

Steve

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try this link:

2009 F250/F550 Super Duty Wiring Diagram - Helm Incorporated

it is for Helm Inc. If the link dosen't work just go to HelmInc.com for the wiring diagram.
Thanks for that...I actually had just found that site myself. However I haven't seen where they offer anything but a paper version of the digrams. While this is certainly better than what I have now (which is nothing) I would prefer electronic documents (on DVD or whatever). However I am not finding anything and I am excited about getting started so I may go ahead and get the paper version.

Thanks again,
Steve

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wanted to start this thread to begin a discussion on adding the OEM Sync system to ’08 trucks which have already been upgraded to the newer harddrive based Nav. system.

Thanks to a fellow member (53Willy) I just got the new nav system installed in my 2008 F-350 King Ranch and I love it. Now I want to get the Synch system installed and thought that I would start a thread here to share the information I learn as I go. I will be updating this thread regularly until the project is finished at which point (assuming I am successful) I will summarize the entire project with step-by-step instructions (including part numbers and suppliers) for completing the project.

So here is where the project starts:
The project truck is a 2008 F-350 King Ranch. It came from the factory loaded with the Nav system and the audiophile sound system. The truck is a job 1 truck which did not have rear camera as an available option but the OEM tailgate camera has been added and displays on the new nav system. I have also added a front bumper camera and will be adding the lockpick module to the new Nav system to allow use of both cameras. With the use of a couple of upfitter switches I will be able to display either camera whenever I like (regardless of what gear the truck is in).

The new Nav system that was installed in my truck, came out of a 2010 F250 King Ranch which had all the same options as my truck and also had Sync. I also already have a Sync module that came out of a 2010 F-150. I hope that the two units (the nav and the sync) both being out of 2010 model trucks will mean that no programming will be required (so far none has been required for the Nav system).

At this point I still need to figure out what wiring harnesses will be required to connect the Sync module and will probably also need to change out the right side steering wheel buttons.

So let’s get started…
First I think I will need to get my hands on the interior wiring diagram for a 2009 or 2010 truck as well as one for my 08 truck. I will also need to figure out which steering wheel switch is required (there are several version of this switch) to activate and control the sync system.

I think I can work with my local Ford dealer’s parts dept. to figure out what switch I need but I have no idea how to get the wiring diagrams. If anyone has any info on how I might get my hands on the wiring diagram I would greatly appreciate hear about it.

More to come...

Steve
Steve,
Where did you get the 2010 head unit?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Steve,
Where did you get the 2010 head unit?
Bought it on Ebay.

IIRC seller told me he got them fairly regularly from a dealer when they removed them for customers who wanted something else in their new trucks/cars. He also told me he normally sells the units to some guy in CA who sells them as new and installs them for his own customers. He could not sell this one to that guy though because it had a few minor (very minor) blemishes which would prevent the guy from selling it as new. That is how it ended up on EBay.

When I found the unit on EBay I was fairly excited because it reportedly came out of a truck with all the options my truck had plus the ones I wanted to add to my truck (rear camera and Sync) which meant I would not have to have the unit programmed. Because of this I would probably have paid more than I ended up having to but I got lucky and got it for $750 plus $50 shipping. Fortunately it turned out to be just as reported. According to the VIN number stored in the unit it did indeed come out of a 2010 F-250 King Ranch. Further, that VIN search also revealed that the truck it was out of was just delivered (based on the warranty start date) to the customer 20 days ago. That is not remarkable in and to itself until you realize that I have had the unit for 16 days it took 3 days to get it after I bought it and it was for sale on EBay for 7 days before I bought it. Bottom line is this radio was in fact BRAND NEW and removed from the truck before the customer even took delivery. All of which means it still has the full complimentary initial Sirius radio and travel link subscription. SWEET!!:nod:

Now if I can just get the factory Sync system to work my truck will be exactly the way I want it.

Steve

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey steve, I havent gotten anythign else figured out since we spoke on sat, I just got home from iowa, longer trip than planned, but that is a whole nother story. I will work ont he wiring some more this week or weekend, I may try to put it in one of mine this weekend, we will see what the weather does and see how much I get done, but the forecast is nice so I may not have time to work on it. All the camera stuff still workign good?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I added the controls to one of mine and I just put in a lariat wheel and a radio that was programmed for it. I had told a guy on here that I thought you could add jsut the switchs but it ends up the wheel has to be for the switches, you cannot add the switch to a wheel without them. Im sure you could have your radio programmed through your dealer, they will have to send it to there ford repair place.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Great to see this being covered. I have the 09 nav unit in my 08 with sirus. That all works well but have had a hard time figuring how to connect the rear camera to the new nav unit. I found the wires in the pass. side but what do I need to do to connect them to the rca that connects to the back of the tuner. I bought the plug in from the maker of the lock pick. So the steering wheel needs to be replaced with the sync controls? Then I guess it is just pluging them into the right harness?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great to see this being covered. I have the 09 nav unit in my 08 with sirus. That all works well but have had a hard time figuring how to connect the rear camera to the new nav unit. I found the wires in the pass. side but what do I need to do to connect them to the rca that connects to the back of the tuner. I bought the plug in from the maker of the lock pick. So the steering wheel needs to be replaced with the sync controls? Then I guess it is just pluging them into the right harness?
I am no expert on the wiring (53Willy did mine maybe he will chime in on this) but it sounds like you have everything you need for the backup camera. If you have the camera and the wiring from the camera to the front and the RCA adaptor for the headunit then I would think that all you need to do is to put an RCA plug on the wires coming from the camera and plug it in. Then assuming your headunit is programmed for backup camera it should work.

As to the Sync install...I am fairly certain it will be significantly more work than that...otherwise I am sure folks would have done it already. As you say, we will first need to replace the steering wheel controls (still working to find out exactly which ones we need). Then we MAY need to replace the steering wheel itself (not sure the wiring in the wheel in our trucks will work with the switches we need. Then we may also need to replace the harness that goes to the steering wheel. Then assuming we get all of that figured out and working, we still need to install the microphone mirror and required wiring and the APIM (Sync module) itself and it's associated wiring. Finally there will likely be some programming required to some of the control modules involved to get the whole mess working.

But this all conjecture at this point because we are still working to figure it all out.

Steve

·
Registered
226 Posts
As far as the getting the camera on the nav, Im guessing you already have a factory camera, You can take of fthe A pillar cover on teh pass side, find the two wires that have a shield around them, they are your camera wires, splice them and run them to the nav, then they need to go in to pin location 1 and 6 which is the top and bottom pins on the far right side of the second plug from the left of the radio when it is in the truck, in an 08 you wont have anythign pluged in to that plug.

If you dont have a camera let me know and I will tell you how to do that.

If you already have the unit in the truck, you can tell if it is programmed for the camera if the screen goes black when the truck is in reverse, if it doesnt then hooking the camera up wont do anything, and if its a stick then you wont be able to get the camera on the nav, Ive got one stick and one auto and the screen went black on the auto only, the stick is missing the signal to the nav I guess.

As far as the sync, there is going to be alot of custom wiring, you cannot change parts of the dash harness, its all one harness. So we are going to have to run some new wires that arnt factory.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have the factory camera on my truck. I bought the plug in harness from the Lock Pick manufacturers that has a RCA on the end of it. If I run the shilded wires and get a rca plug for it will that work? It does not go black when in reverse, but I am told it was programmed for my trucks options. As far as the sync goes, how hard would it be to connect the module and use it primarily for the usb connection. Meaning using my Ipod on it. I hate not having that option.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the factory camera on my truck. I bought the plug in harness from the Lock Pick manufacturers that has a RCA on the end of it. If I run the shilded wires and get a rca plug for it will that work? It does not go black when in reverse, but I am told it was programmed for my trucks options.
If the screen does not go blank and display a 'Settings' button in the lower left corner when you switch your truck into reverse, either the radio was not programmed for that option or you have something hooked up wrong.

As far as the sync goes, how hard would it be to connect the module and use it primarily for the usb connection. Meaning using my Ipod on it. I hate not having that option.
I believe we are going to have an all or nothing thing on the Sync but since we have not yet got it working it all I can't say for sure.

·
Air Assault!!
716 Posts
This may help. Im sort of a wiring guru myself. If you have any questions at all let me know. For those contemplating adding SWC's to your wheel i did it in my 2007 Sport Trac that did not come equipped with it. Again any questions at all let me know. If it can be wired into a vehicle i can do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This may help. Im sort of a wiring guru myself. If you have any questions at all let me know. For those contemplating adding SWC's to your wheel i did it in my 2007 Sport Trac that did not come equipped with it. Again any questions at all let me know. If it can be wired into a vehicle i can do it.
Thats great thanks.

So do I understand you correctly that you have installed the Sync system in your 07 truck? Did you also install the 09/10 nav system? Does it all work (ie. bluetooth, music library control, nav direction input/control)?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
F150 Tailgate Cam

:icon_ford:
I have a few extra Tailgate Cams for the F series pickup.
They are the ones with the Ford Oval used on the 2009 and up.
I have the Sync Module and assorted parts.
The cam gos for $110, without the rear harness. $150.00 with.

Write me in your interested.

·
Air Assault!!
716 Posts
Thats great thanks.

So do I understand you correctly that you have installed the Sync system in your 07 truck? Did you also install the 09/10 nav system? Does it all work (ie. bluetooth, music library control, nav direction input/control)?

Thanks,
Steve
Not the Sync but the Steering wheel controls. If you have any specific questions on the schematics i can help out. The 2009/2010 vehicle are both CAN systems and are the same. Provided you have the USB and SYNC module and rear view mirror with the mic in it. you should be able to figure it out with the schematic. If you cant feel free to ask away. ill help where i can.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Why would you want a camera for the front bumper is my question...:dunno::tard:

·
Air Assault!!
716 Posts
Why would you want a camera for the front bumper is my question...:dunno::tard:
Believe it or not alot of people do it for parking purposes. Like how close is my front bumper to the other car or whatever. I have installed a couple dozen in the past few years.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts