Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add a sub to my truck. I like the stock headunit(6 disk) and dont want to upgrade. Does anyone know of what part I need to hook up to my stock headunit. I think its like a line convertor or something. If someone could show me what to buy I would be very greatful. I dont want to loose my steering wheel controls no matter what.

My trucks an 06 witht the stock radio. It has an aux button. Can anyone tell me what I need to hook my ipod up to my truck. I tried looking at best buy for this stuff but the kids there looked at me like I am crazy. If you can link me to the stufff I need or what the parts are called I would be very happy. Thanks in advance:icon_ford:

·
Premium Member
156 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Crutchfield. Talk to one of thier techs and they can get you all set up with all that stuff. Just describe what you want and they can find it. As far as the steering wheel controls...as long as you keep the stock head unit, they won't be affected.

crutchfield.com

·
Registered
613 Posts
I got the little inverter or whatever it is called at checker I think but I've seen it at autozone or any of those. It was like $15. You just tap into your rear speaker wires, or wherever is closest. Mine sounded really good, better than I expected.

As for the IPOD thingy I'm guessing it is the same as my MP3 deal and you just need a cord that has male plugs on both sides, I think I finally found mine at wal-mart???not sure. Actually I'm not sure how the 06 stuff is if it has an AUX plug on the radio itself or not. But that link above looks like a good setup.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I talked to my local installer and he says I need a line outout controller and its like 15-20 bucks at any electronic store. That ipod setup is nice but sorta expensive considering its only providing sound and not video. i will have to look at it a little deeper. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok guys I ahve a problem. I bought this convertor.

Scosche SLC4 Four-channel line output converter at Crutchfield.com

it is either a four channel or two channel amp. the front speakers seem to control the one set of rca outputs and the the rear speakers control the other rca output. I contected both rear speaker wires to the to the right back on the convertor.

I conectedd my remote wire to my amp by connecting the remote wire to the green/yellow 12 volt wire to my amp. Is that correct or am I supposedd to be connecting the remote wire to the wire on the converotr itself. Is this correct; or shoudl the remote wire be hooked up to something else

I tested to make sure that the amp has power and its fine. Teh amp worked in my buddies truck last night so I am pretty sure its this line output convertor.

Any help would be great because this is rather annoying not being able to get it to work. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
443 Posts
You need a line out convertor. Tap into your rear speaker wires and run the rca's to your amp along with a trigger wire, power wire, ground wire and speaker wires to the subs. Thats it. For the best sound get one of these.

re-Q - Take control of your factory stereo!

I try to only use these for putting subs on a factory deck. Read up on them they are awesome.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Not exactly sure how to help ya, I'm not good with this stuff. My Line output converter is a little different. It just has like 4 or 5 wires coming out of it, two go to the ground wires of my rear speakers, and two go to the hot wires of my rear speakers. One is unused. Then it has two RCA plugs which are connected to my amp. My remote wire is connected straight to the amp. My amp has a place to hook up the ground, +, and remote wire right next to eachother. Hope ya get it figured out.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea Mayeb I have a loose connection or something. I am gonna buy a new line output convertor and see if that help. any sugestions would be great

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ford cowboy do you know what kind of convertor you have. yours sounds much simper so I want to buy one more like yours.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
one thing to keep in mind is....you will need to either run a crossover or an amp with a built in crossover to take all the highs out the signal going to your subs.

·
Registered
591 Posts
subcribed...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts