Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10" sub and wedge box I want to install in my truck (non pwr sld wndw, non audiofile) I have the sub, box, amp, RCA's and line output converter. My question is does it matter which speaker out put I tap into for the amp signal. And will it affect the sound of which ever speaker I tap into? Also though I dont have the factory sub option, does the factory stereo still have the hook up for it that I can tap into?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
i thought they made an adapter for the stock stereo

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have a line level output converter that taps in to a speaker wire for signal.

·
Registered
555 Posts
do you have any rca out puts on the back of your deck??

·
Registered
672 Posts
u can get an adapter but it would sound much better if you bought an aftermarket cd player like pioneer, sony, etc.. it will be easier to hookup and it will give u more control over your sub and the sound in general. i know from experience lol

·
Registered
555 Posts
u can get an adapter but it would sound much better if you bought an aftermarket cd player like pioneer, sony, etc.. it will be easier to hookup and it will give u more control over your sub and the sound in general. i know from experience lol
I have to agree... I will also throw my 2 cents in and reccommend gettin an alpine unit! Have had several, the work great, look great, and sound great! They cost a little more than some but in my opinion its worth it so you have something that wong break and skip on every cd you play with a tiny scratch!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys I really want to keep my stock radio though.

·
Registered
555 Posts
are you sure you dont have an rca output on there already... I have heard the 08's have the stock sub option??

·
Registered
185 Posts
the factory radio does not have rca outputs even if it is the Audiophile package. You need an LOC aka Line Output Converter. It taps into the factory speaker wires behind your radio and converts the signal to RCA level for your amp. Your factory radio will sound fine like this but an aftermarket head unit like a Pioneer or Pioneer will definately sound better.

Expect to pay anywhere from $15 to $50 for a good LOC.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks I already have the converter, I guess my question was just misunderstood. I was just wanting to make sure what ever speaker I tap into for signal to send to the amp it wouldnt deminish the sound of that speaker I used to pick up the signal from. IE, i have 4 speakers

Speaker A, Speaker B, Speaker C & Speaker D.

So I splice the converter tap wires into the Speaker A leads, so the head unit is feeding speakers a,b,c & d. But speaker a is tied into the conveter and the signal travels along that lead and hits the converter and speaker a. Is the sound of speaker a going to be affected? Im also hooking up a second 4 channel amp but Im not powering it up just yet do to I want to replace the factory speakers down the line but since Im there and I have the amps might as well get it all set up and waiting.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sorry I think it was my fault for getting way off your topic... as far as you original question goes I think its safe to say, tap into a rear speaker. If you would diminish sound it wont matter much as in my opinion rear speakers do not contribute much, especially with a good component set up front, as you say you want to upgrade existing speakers later.

That being said if you are going to upgrade everything, and invest a bit of money, I would really reccommend upgrading your existing deck! It might be expensive but it will be totally worth it. If you want a stock look just look around, there is stuff out there that can be very nice but subtle. I personally have and alpine touch screen dvd player that is not only kick a$$ but when I want can look stock as well. It can be laid flat to the dash and have a subtle screen, mine is a custom powerstroke screensaver.

Good luck! I hope I helped!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I installed it all this weekend and also ran all the extra RCA's and power block disstribution for future amps. All I need to do is build a amp rack and clean up form and shorten the wiring. Sounds pretty good for a single 10", box was a tight fit though. I might want to build a new one that is more contured to this truck. Not a whole lot of room behiend the rear seats.

Thanks for your help and thoughts guys.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Glad everything worked out good for ya!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dont leave us in suspense

You forgot to tell us. Did the speaker that you tapped into suffer any sound loss? I am going to do the same thing with my system for now.. 1k for a deck is a bit steep..For now.. and I am set with everything else except a double din head unit.. not fond of putting in a single din right now.

Also.. where did you run the thick power wires? inside the cab our outside along frame rails and then back in?

Thanks for the info in advance
~G

·
Registered
185 Posts
You forgot to tell us. Did the speaker that you tapped into suffer any sound loss? I am going to do the same thing with my system for now.. 1k for a deck is a bit steep..For now.. and I am set with everything else except a double din head unit.. not fond of putting in a single din right now.

Also.. where did you run the thick power wires? inside the cab our outside along frame rails and then back in?

~G
There will be no sound degradation by tapping into the OEM wires for a Line Out Converter.

In automatic Super Duties there is a hole in the firewall for the clutch assembly (on the drivers side) that is perfect for running the power wire through.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

~G

As far as I can tell no it didnt degrade the sound. And I ran it through the firewall where the computer harness comes through, you'll have to poke a hole through the rubber boot around the harness. And I ran the wires under the door sills, there are nice neat little plastic raceways under the sills that the tops unsnap so you can run the wires nice and neat through there.

Hope that helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts