Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going on a long trip with a fellow camper and we are going to use CB's to communicate, we have all the necessary hardware already.

I'm looking for suggestions on where to install as to not drill any holes in plastic because it is a temporary install. My antenna is magnetic.

Should I wire it into one of the dip switches? Where should I place the CB? How should I run the antenna out of the cab to the roof?

I will be un-intalling after the trip, so any install that I can remove without leaving marks behind is ideal.

My initial thought is to just put the CB on the dash in that little indent, run the wires down the dash to the dip switch and run the antenna cord along the dash to the outside through a door. Cosmetically, that won't be appealing and I'm afraid I won't like it there for such a long trip.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll be starting the project in a week.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
I know you have them already but is your heart set on using the CB's? Another option is to get a set of hand-held motorola's. A set is like 30-50 bucks and they can reach 15 miles if necessary. Just a thought.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The little FM walkies are better for caravaning. But if you use the CB why not put a cig plug on it and lay it on the floor or seat (upside down so you can hear the speaker) and run your coax out the least used door.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are talking about the GMRS/FRS radios, we already have those radios for hunting etc. They don't seem as clear and loud as a good CB, so my Dad doesn't like using them. And we found with a long caravan of 8+ rigs communication from the back to the front won't reach even with those so called "25 mile" radios.

I'm not sure what you mean by FM Walkies, if you refer to the VHF or UHF radios, those would be great. But we have free CB's and with 8+ rigs everyone going out and purshasing $150+ radios is unlikely.

These are great alternatives, but I think I'm stuck with the CB radios with this group.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I was referring to the FRS when I said FM. Mine work a mile or so. The audio isn't as good in a cab with road noise. I think your CB is the way to go.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where should I run the CB antenna cable through?

I have a magnetic antenna that I'm going to stick to the roof, unless I find a cheap antenna/bracket to put behind the cab or through the edge of the hood or something like that.

·
Registered
738 Posts
+1 on the cigar lighter plug...some velcrow on top lay it upside on a towel to top of the dash and run your wires out the door will work nice for a temp...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts